My quitting journey

I hope this thread does not bother anyone due to me being new here, and totally a newbie to vaping. I would put this on my facebook too, but nobody really cares or even knows what vaping is. I am have been a firefighter for the last 13 years and have noticed that smoking cigars has really had an impact on my performance and health. The very knowledgeable and kind members here gave me the courage and insight to drop them altogether and start vaping. I will post some milestones here to kind of keep a record for myself in a way and get feedback from the members here.

The only thing im starting to notice after vaping for the first 24 or so hours is that i am starting to cough a little and have to clear my throat more. I am not sure if it is the vapor doing this to me or the fact that my throat may be irritated from the cigars and trying to clear something out.

Edited by loneranger721981

It's just your body detoxing from all the stuff it got from the cigar smoke. You'll be spitting things out for a few days but it should level out and stop altogether soon-ish.

Personally, I'm amazed at what it takes to be a firefighter. Thank you for everything you do. :)

We got trained to put out small fires and I now have a firefighter's axe in my office to break through the wall should something happen. We're due to be trained on its use soon. The 60 - 80 lbs of gear in just the jacket and pants you wear is amazing. Then, the rest of it, it's a wonder to me that you can even move!

When we went through our training they put us in the wildfire jacket and we were outside in 100 degree heat. Just that "lightweight" jacket was stifling. Then, they let us try on the real gear and...if someone had lightly pushed my shoulder, I would've just fallen on my back like a turtle.

I'm glad you've given up smoking cigars and started vaping. There are a lot of people out there who don't even know you yet who are going to be very happy about it. :)

The only thing im starting to notice after vaping for the first 24 or so hours is that i am starting to cough a little and have to clear my throat more. I am not sure if it is the vapor doing this to me or the fact that my throat may be irritated from the cigars and trying to clear something out.

Welcome to Vapor Talk Forum.

For some new vapers, it takes a little time to get used to. Your lungs take a pretty good beating inhaling burning vegetable matter, and it's going to take a little bit for them to heal. I know that most cigar smokers don't consciously inhale the smoke like cigarette smokers do, but if you puff on 'em regularly, it's getting inhaled regardless.

I used to smoke cigarettes (2 packs a day for about 30 years), but within three days of making the switch to vaping, my non-stop smoker's cough was completely gone, and after around a week, I felt as if I'd never smoked a day in my life.

One thing to watch out for is dehydration. Vaping takes a lot of water out of your system, so it's important to stay hydrated.

Congrats on making the decision to put down the cigars...I think you'll find that with the hundreds of available flavors out there and multitude of various devices on the market, you're sure to find something that suits you. BTW - what kind of e-cig/e-liquid are you using?

Edited by Rixter

Thank you Tameiki for the kind words. I am a volunteer and I dont get paid. I do it for the fact that I love helping people. It takes a certain kind of crazy to run into a burning building while everyone is running out. I have taken hundreds of classes in my career and training is never over. You have to take the new kids under your wing so they dont get themselves killed.

Right now i purchased mountain dew flavor from govista. I plan on canceling the plan because its way too expensive for the juice, i mainly did it for the cheaper cost of the ego. The juice is currently 80/20 which does not really fit me. I think in the morning in going to order myself some cinnamon roll from vapordude with a 50/50 mix. The current nic level in it is 6mg. I think i may up it to either 10 or 11 because im finding that i am vaping a lot during the day. I went thru 2 mils all day. I know that is probably not a lot, but im not sure where i would put myself. By the way I was inhaling the cigars. It was a bad move and became habit.

Edited by loneranger721981

If you were inhaling cigars I would suggest you go with 24 mg of nic to start so you don't have the cravings as bad. Cigars are even stronger than that, but the 24 should do just as well. Also get some in 11/12 mg so you can change off and wean down -- eventually. For now, if you want to get rid of the cigars, go with the higher nic and step down from there.

Just my two cents. :)

ETA: The mountain dew from The Vapor Room is delicious! Just the like drink for me, it even feels like it's got a little carbonation. If you read the home page and FAQs, they give a first time order a free bottle of juice and a free sample with every order.

Edited by Tameiki

I dont really get those "OMG i have to have a smoke or im gonna die" kind of cravings. I am not sure if the higher nic level would really do anything. I dont want to get the levels in my system higher because it would probably take longer to quit down to 0. Then again im just starting and really have no idea what im doing lol. My wife did not know that i smoked and i have no idea how she did not find out over the years. I was able to go a week being sick and not have one. The only times i would crave would be at parties or the bar. I will go to the vapor room and check out what they have.

Taste is subjective, as they say a lot in the vaping community, but if you're looking for something that tastes a lot like a Black & Mild (to me, anyway), I'd suggest trying a sample bottle of DK-555 from EC Blend. The first thing I thought when I tried it was "Black & Mild", and I keep a tank loaded with it.

gallery_15088_188_35084.jpg

A 5 ml. bottle of 24 mg. will cost you $2.75 (24 mg. costs a little more) + shipping. Use coupon code "10020" for a 20% discount. If you like it, you can get a pretty big discount on bigger quantities:

• 8 oz (250 ml) 65.00
  • 4 oz (125 ml) 35.00
  • 50 ml 14.65
  • 30 ml $8.99
  • 15 ml $5.95
  • 5 ml $2.50

If you're trying to get away from Black & Milds altogether, they carry hundreds of different flavors as well as quality gear to vape it with.

Edited by Rixter

I hope this thread does not bother anyone due to me being new here, and totally a newbie to vaping. I would put this on my facebook too, but nobody really cares or even knows what vaping is. I am have been a firefighter for the last 13 years and have noticed that smoking cigars has really had an impact on my performance and health. The very knowledgeable and kind members here gave me the courage and insight to drop them altogether and start vaping. I will post some milestones here to kind of keep a record for myself in a way and get feedback from the members here.

I for one am anxious to watch your progress! Good Luck and tytytytytyty a million times for what you do, volunteer or not. :yes :yes

Even as a volunteer you have more courage than most to run into a fire and save people you don't know, thank you.

Slightly off topic, I hear all the time that vaping dehydrates but how is that when we are inhaling/exhaling water vapor.

No problem to both of you. I didnt expect praise but it feels good to know that someone cares about what we do. One thing i thought of this morning. Is there a smaller compact version besides the cigarette looking ones that can take a beating? The reason I ask is i would like to see about getting one to keep in my gear at the station. Instead of me running around the house getting things together if i get a call and possibly forgetting stuff just have one there already. I know if it was in my pocket and I went into a fire its a gonner. I can see temps ranging from 90-550 in a matter of seconds.

Others will chime in to give your their recs, I'm sure, but in my opinion? Ecigs are electronic, for the most part (other than the mechanical mods), so they're going to be a little on the 'can't take a beating' side. If you want a more compact version I'd suggest going with a 400 mAh Spinner with a cartomizer instead of a tank. If you want to go with a clearomizer/tank style, get the ones with metal on the outside like an MT3 or the 2.5 ml Vivi Nova. The second link takes you to the two. The first one is quite durable but you can't see how much juice is inside.

http://www.gotvapes.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&x=0&y=0&keyword=Vision+Spinner&dfrom=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&dto=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy

http://www.aquavaporcig.com/search.asp?keyword=vivi+nova&search.x=0&search.y=0

If you get the 400 mAh, know that it's smaller so it doesn't hold a long charge and you'll have to charge it more often. I'd suggest getting two or more so you always have a back up. Around here we all highly recommend having back ups of your back ups. You can never have too many. :)

Well I am going on day 4 and have noticed a few things. Firstly my taste and sense of smell have gotten way better. My tongue no longer has that film on it from smoking. I visited my moms house and she still smokes. The smell from the analogs almost made me physically ill. I don't think i could ever have another analog again which is a good thing.

i have been late to the thread as usual lol. But once again thank you so much for what you do! :)

I have had a few people ask me what kind of set ups are durable and ill tell you what... the mechanicals i have.... they get hammered daily between me and my wife and my daughter constantly knocking them over and i drop them out of my pocket... but i have yet to have any issue with performance. you can get ones that use a battery about the same height as the 400mAh spinners and they give just as good of a hit due to lowered resistance in the device itself.

If thats something your interested in just let me know and ill dig up some mechs for ya. :)

Sure i would be interested. Thanks

i have been late to the thread as usual lol. But once again thank you so much for what you do! :)

I have had a few people ask me what kind of set ups are durable and ill tell you what... the mechanicals i have.... they get hammered daily between me and my wife and my daughter constantly knocking them over and i drop them out of my pocket... but i have yet to have any issue with performance. you can get ones that use a battery about the same height as the 400mAh spinners and they give just as good of a hit due to lowered resistance in the device itself.

If thats something your interested in just let me know and ill dig up some mechs for ya. :)

I would surely be interested. Thanks

1398401-5.jpg

FastTech's V3 Telescopic Mechanical Mod ($18.11 shipped) is my next take-to-work PV. It's made of brass for good conductivity & ruggedness, and will operate on any 18XXX IMR batteries between 18350 & 18650. You can also drop in a Kick Module to make it variable wattage. It's got a locking bottom fire button so it'll be pocket friendly, too. From the looks of it's 510 connection, it's a little limited as to what kind of juicer it'll take, but I only use cartomizers at work so it'll be just fine for that. I plan to order one this weekend.

Edited by Rixter

loneranger721981 Glad to see you get into vaping.... I have been vaping awhile but not active on the forum.

I was a Volunteer Fireman for 5 years and I know how demanding and rewarding it can be... I wish I could have vaped when I was volunteering because as you may have noticed already you don't get as winded. I can remember working fires and heaving for breaths and fighting to complete my task... I know it would have been easier without those stinking analogs...

But I just wanted to say how happy I am for you to get into vaping and thank you for your service...

I do miss volunteering myself, I know my cardio would be a lot better than it was..

Thanks LV and you are welcome. One thing i am throwing around in my mind is mixing my own juice. I know there are literally thousands of places to get the ingredients from, but where is reputable. It seems like it would be cheaper to mix them than to order them pre mixed. I can get a handful of ml syringes from the ambulance no problem :), but getting the stuff to make it is the confusing part.

I have tried for a few days now to get the fbfree coupon to work on vape dudes website and it does not work for me. Anyone had this work for them?

Try clicking on the "contact us" tab and put in a ticket. They're very good about working with you and helping you out. :)

Well its been over a week since any analogs and i am making great strides of progress. The greatest change i can see is a mental one. I knew that smoking and inhaling cigars was not healthy by any stretch, but i just could not quit. I think after my dad had passed in 07 they became a "crutch" of sorts to cope with my anxiety. They just made the anxiety worse. I was to the point that if i felt something strange i would go look it up on google to see what it could be. I guess my dad having a heart attack set my mind that way and I have no clue why.

But since making the choice to vape to quit was the greatest choice i have ever made. The anxiety is mostly gone along with the little pains i used to get and be worried about. My smell and taste have mostly returned, and i find that i am pushing myself harder in training. I have not been coughing as much as i thought i would be. I figured i would be hacking things up, but im not. I recently had a check up and the doc found nothing wrong with my lungs so i guess that's a good thing.

Last month my fire dept verified that we are doing a 5k run for a fund raiser. When the decision was made i was just going to work a booth or hand out water to the runners. Since quitting smoking i am starting to walk/jog on a daily basis. It is my goal to cross the finish line of that race no matter if i have to walk/jog the entire length.

Quitting smoking and going to vaping has given me the inspiration to prove to myself that i can do more than i believe I can. I cant thank all the members here enough for the great advise that made me take the plunge to better health. I know this is one big rant for an update and im sorry about that, but my wife wants nothing to do with the vaping and told me that I am not allowed to spend any more money on it. I am a firm believer that it is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. Besides what price can you put on someone to give them better health.

You're well on the way. Congratulations. Sorry about the grief your wife is giving you. Sounds like she can't see the big picture right now but she'll come around. Is she a smoker?

My wife and I have gone from about $60/week smoking to probably $15/week vaping. Sure, the initial costs were high figuring it all out but we're really beginning to see the savings now. And wwhat is that cost when compared with health? Priceless!

My wife gives me a hard time also, I admittedly spend more than I need to on this new hobby, but still over the last 6 months spent less than half what the stinkies would have totaled. And then there's the fact that I know for certain I feel healthier and don't have to stop and catch a breath anymore.

What's up with these unsupportive spouses? You must have large life insurance policies!! Maybe they were hoping for your early exit? My wife started vaping (0 nic) just to support me (she says it helps suppress snacking cravings) Tell those grumpy geese to get onboard! Your saving your life with or without !!! Grow some!!

Everyone's different, some of us have a harder time than others, some can drop it overnight, some need a different approach. At least your trying to do something right, and she should have your back. It's still cheaper and better for you than analogs, and you don't stink anymore.....