Exposing the Public to E-cigs - A good Thing

While, I beleive it is generally polite to ask permission before vaping in public or private establishments, and especially in confined spaces, I think the public needs to be exposed to e-cigs more. We need to get out there and use our devices where people can see it and we can explain and answer questions. So many people are simply not used to seeing anyone using an electronic cigarette. I am constantly getting stares and questions when I pull out my PV and start puffing some place. They look at me like I'm from another planet..

I can understand why some may think it can have negative effects on the impression the general public has of e-cigs (and lead to bans and such) when you just whip it out and vape, but I think it also has positive effects. The general public needs to see these devices in use on a regular basis so that they can become educated and accustomed to them, and understand that it is not smoking.

I agree that people should be educated on the differences between vaping and smoking. But I'm not so sure that flaunting it to a wide general public, which is essentially promoting it, is good idea, IMO

I, personally, would only recommend vaping to someone as an alternative to getting off analogs. I would not encourage anyone to take up vaping who isn't already a smoker. As much as I love vaping and am so happy to be off the analogs, I don't think advertising it or flaunting it to a non smoking public is the way to go. I'm not saying we have to hide it or be ashamed of it. But it is primarily a drug delivery system. I just think I'd rather not push it on others. Educate them where needed. No doubt, it's healthier than smoking. But there is a difference between "healthier than" and something being healthy. I personally cannot call vaping "healthy" and therefore promote it as such. Promote it to smokers, sure. Promote to the general public, not the best idea IMO.

I am commenting on your topic Arnie

I actually use mine out in public quite a bit. I do very much agree with what you're saying. I know somebody that smokes about 70$ a week. What a waste! They could get a pretty nice set up actually for 70$! AND still save a decent amount of money. I think its crazy. I actually think that smoking should stop completely and everyone should convert to vaping!

I actually use mine out in public quite a bit. I do very much agree with what you're saying. I know somebody that smokes about 70$ a week. What a waste! They could get a pretty nice set up actually for 70$! AND still save a decent amount of money. I think its crazy. I actually think that smoking should stop completely and everyone should convert to vaping!

I agree, and so does my sons pediatrician and our family physician. I use mine in public a lot the same way as I did when I smoked analogs. I do not want to make others uncomfortable, so usually if I am in a non smoking establishment I will go to the bathroom to do it unless it is a setting where I feel comfortable enough to ask about it. Several local bars and restaurants in my city that are non smoking actually have signs now that say "No Smoking" (E-Cigs allowed).

I dont know why people refuse to smoke real cigs, when they could use an ecig! You can use it in more places, get a good buzz, you don't smell terrible.. and its a lot cheaper.. ignorance I guess.

I dont know why people refuse to smoke real cigs, when they could use an ecig! You can use it in more places, get a good buzz, you don't smell terrible.. and its a lot cheaper.. ignorance I guess.

I don't think it is ignorance as much as a lack of mainstream information available on it. That's the overwhelming objection I hear from my smoking friends. They want it to be proven it is a much healthier alternative by a source they trust as opposed to looking at the positive health benefits I have personally experienced. With that said, the number of people I see vaping grows by the day. Sunday on the lake there were 5-6 others that were tied up to us that were vaping. I see people at the marina vaping now. People come into my business and are vaping. I am not sure if I notice it more now because I do it, or if it is exploding in popularity.

It worries me a bit, because once it gets too big is when they will start to regulate it heavily, tax it heavily, and make it less of a money saving thing. As much as I enjoy the health benefits I enjoy the monetary ones just as much.

I vaped when I went to Summerfest and expected to see tons of vapors seeing smoking was allowed. Not only did it seem that me and my wife were the only ones vaping but I was suprised at how many people knew very little about it :cheers:

I don't think it is ignorance as much as a lack of mainstream information available on it. That's the overwhelming objection I hear from my smoking friends. They want it to be proven it is a much healthier alternative by a source they trust as opposed to looking at the positive health benefits I have personally experienced. With that said, the number of people I see vaping grows by the day. Sunday on the lake there were 5-6 others that were tied up to us that were vaping. I see people at the marina vaping now. People come into my business and are vaping. I am not sure if I notice it more now because I do it, or if it is exploding in popularity.

It worries me a bit, because once it gets too big is when they will start to regulate it heavily, tax it heavily, and make it less of a money saving thing. As much as I enjoy the health benefits I enjoy the monetary ones just as much.

I understand exactly where you're coming from. I am just now noticing that many people in my area are vaping. I feel like I could just be friends with anyone that vapes haha!

Edited by iNeff

I agree that people should be educated on the differences between vaping and smoking. But I'm not so sure that flaunting it to a wide general public, which is essentially promoting it, is good idea, IMO

I, personally, would only recommend vaping to someone as an alternative to getting off analogs. I would not encourage anyone to take up vaping who isn't already a smoker. As much as I love vaping and am so happy to be off the analogs, I don't think advertising it or flaunting it to a non smoking public is the way to go. I'm not saying we have to hide it or be ashamed of it. But it is primarily a drug delivery system. I just think I'd rather not push it on others. Educate them where needed. No doubt, it's healthier than smoking. But there is a difference between "healthier than" and something being healthy. I personally cannot call vaping "healthy" and therefore promote it as such. Promote it to smokers, sure. Promote to the general public, not the best idea IMO.

I am commenting on your topic Arnie

Thanks for the reply (and to all). I agree with much of what you are saying. Please, understand I am not talking about "pushing" or promoting it on the general non-smoking public. I just think that the general public needs to be exposed to ecigs more. They need to see and believe as we do, that it is very likely a healthier alternative to smoking..They need to see that we are not a subculture or a ":bunch of nuts", or at best "pathetic nicotine addicts" (which we probably are. Ha).

Now, if an adult of legal age wants to vape, that is there choice. And if they asked me, whether they should smoke or vape I feel confident in telling them and would encourage them to vape rather than smoke. And being a non-smoker I would also promote or encourage them to use a 100% nicotine free juice.

For those underage (and many people start smoking as teens). I would generally not recommend vaping, as we are not certain of the long term health effects. There's just not enough data. HOWEVER, if I learned that my teenage daughter was smoking without my knowledge (not uncommon) or if thought she might want to start smoking, I'd rather her come to me and get educated about vaping and I would prefer her to vape a zero nic juice than to see her sneek and smoke regular cigs with her friends without my knowledge. Nicotine should certainly be kept from minors.

Edited by ArnieH

Yea the problem is many of their first experiences are when a news story of a battery exploding hits the air waves like the new post in Health and Safety sub forum. Its just like anything else, the story about the millions of people living healthier lifestyles now never gets told, but let one battery explode from being charged improperly and its all over the news.

Edited by bcartervol98

I vape everywhere, wal mart, lowes, just to name a few household name stores. Most people don't even pay me attention but if someone asks I smile and kindly explain what it is and that I no longer smoke analogs. Most people well all so far congratulate me on quiting and no longer pay attention to my pv.

Not to mention I have a e-cig coozy around my neck. Its similar to a lanyard except over 80% of my pv's are inside the coozy. Only the drip tip is exposed. I'm sure having 2 on me st all times around my neck draws some attention, guess I could always wear them under my shirt but then I would forget I have them.

Edited by Love2VapeDaily

Hey Arnie

Yeah I was hoping to make it clear that i wasnt attacking you personally for your point if view but merely commenting in your awesome topic. I agree with many of your points and you make intelligent arguments. As pleasure vapirs leading a healthier lifestyle we simetimes forget there are moral issues with what we do and so therefore responsibilty increases with our choices.

The truly unfortunate thing is that in the current society we live in, vaping and educating the public will do nothing to curb bans or limitations. The people that are voted into power tend to go completely against what their constituants want and will create these bans and limitations in some inane effort to protect us from ourselves. But it is nice to have a more educated general public and to get less bizarre stares and questions. Generally, in the Portland area, people are fairly used to eCigs since you can buy them just about everywhere.

Good topic!

I like being able to vape where smokers see that it's a 'real' thing, not a fake wispy idea. I like raising the curiosity, and saving lives. That's what it's all about, is saving lives. The times I've hidden it from parents with kids, are the times I needed to flaunt it the most, because, Murphy's Law, one of the parents lights up. Never fails. I detest hiding it anymore. Too many lives can be saved, need to be saved.

When in non-smoking areas, of course, I don't vape, or at the least I'll take a small stealth vape and blow it down the inside of my blouse where it dissipates immediately. I only do that when I'm stuck for long lengths of time. The last thing I want to do is light up a smoke in order to catch up on my nicotine missed during the down time. I used to woof down 2 cigs in a 10 minute work break, to get me though the next 2 hours, I had it bad. I don't want to go back. So, if I absolutely need to use my non-smoking tool, I most certainly will and do, but very indiscreetly.

Yeh, every smoker needs to "know" these vaping tools are boss. Every non-smoker needs to know that their loved ones who still smoke can switch over to something safer until they do.

I've been questioned by very excited people, wanting to know everything about it, for their loved ones. I've met kids who were wild about the idea of their parents switching over so painlessly. But when the parents are approached by the kids, the kids are dismissed. It's presently much to no avail. I warn the kids, that it will take several months for them to come around to trying to quit again and to don't take it personally. The parents are fed up with the stop smoking propaganda, sick of epic fails of the past. But, occasionally, months or years later, they do indeed research it, try it, and voila! Now they're preaching to the other parents lol.

The kids might be interested in a feel or a taste when that evil moment strikes them, but they compare the flavor to the real honest to goodness flavor of the orange or the apple, get their curiosity out of the way and go on about their lives without smoking. That's a huge bonus for the next generation... to be able to "see what the fuss is all about" and then move along without the painful addiction of the days of old. I would give anything to start my life over without the cigarette attraction at such a young age. Had there been vaping instead of cigarettes, I wouldn't be so dang addicted today. Try it out, move along. Sweet.

Edited by Uma

Hey Arnie

Yeah I was hoping to make it clear that i wasnt attacking you personally for your point if view but merely commenting in your awesome topic. I agree with many of your points and you make intelligent arguments. As pleasure vapirs leading a healthier lifestyle we simetimes forget there are moral issues with what we do and so therefore responsibilty increases with our choices.

No worries. Didn't think you were attacking me or anything. I value all input.

Yea the problem is many of their first experiences are when a news story of a battery exploding hits the air waves like the new post in Health and Safety sub forum. Its just like anything else, the story about the millions of people living healthier lifestyles now never gets told, but let one battery explode from being charged improperly and its all over the news.

Yes, it is funny and hypocritical. The same type of batteries as those used in e-cigs, can also be found in cell phones (which people routinely place against their skulls), laptops, tablets, etc. Moreover, cell Phone batteries have in fact exploded, but no one talks of banning cell phones!

Yes, it is funny and hypocritical. The same type of batteries as those used in e-cigs, can also be found in cell phones (which people routinely place against their skulls), laptops, tablets, etc. Moreover, cell Phone batteries have in fact exploded, but no one talks of banning cell phones!

I remember when cell phones came out, talking about to much cell phone use could cause cancer. Something about the radio waves to close to your brain but there was never a ban on cell phones.

I agree, the way I said it was ignorant.. I could not figure out a way to say that some people would rather believe these are worse for you than real cigarettes.

I don't even think it's that though, just a simple understanding of the way these things work and it's almost impossible to dispute that these are better for you than analogs. My point is simply that there are some people out there that just don't care. And that doesn't make them ignorant. There are some people that have been smoking for 50 years and have 0 intention of quitting or switching, there are young adults who want to smoke because it's "cool" and aren't ready to really start thinking about their health. That's all, that doesn't make them ignorant, switching to vaping is a choice, some want to do it, others have no intention of switching. And that's ok, freedom of choice.

At any rate, i wasn't trying to be a **** to you, just saying that calling people ignorant for not wanting to switch is not the right way to go about promoting vaping to the public lol.

Edited by blucavvy

Well my experience vaping in public has been different then most. I am a social butterfly and have never met a stranger lol, I was also the guy walking around with 11 facial piercings and gauges and a 2ft mohawk so the looks i dont even notice anymore and they never bothered me before. haha!

I have been approached by people in the gorcery store and on the sidewalk, bars, parking lots, restaraunts, and the like. They all know what the e-cigs are but arent really sure what the hell my eVic is, so they come over to ask me what it is and why would i buy something like that. I explain the benefits of it over a normal battery as far as my experience has been. Usually they ask me where they can get one or read up on it for themselves or a loved one and i give them one of brian's cards. :)

I dont ever hide what im doing. Im not ever really discreet either bc i smoke 100%VG and my eVic and protank will blow clouds for days at 4.5v. I have never been one to hide what im doing based on popular vote. If someone were ever to come up to me and as me not to do it in the grocery store or a bar or any public place other then outdoors i would politely put it away. but i have never had that happen... actually people are more intrigued by the vanilla smell then the huge cloud of vapor usually floating around me. LOL!

just my experience though. Can I ask all of you discreet vapers a question though?

If you have the right to walk outside the bar and smoke either on the patio or on the sidewalk... Why do you try to be discreet? Is it a matter of social courtesy? or is it a conflict avoidance behavior?

For me, it's because I live in Calif where everything you say, think or do can and will be held against you a court of nannyizm.

fair enough. In ohio we have some real redneckery moving in... so you hear more often then note racial slurs and the like being thrown around. i guess its also a matter of location?

It's mostly about location for me. I'm never discreet when it's not warranted. Outside a pub in public no problem.

I'm only discreet where I think I will be interrupted unnecessarily. It's not about conflict avoidance. It's about not wanting to be sidetracked or slowed down from doing what I'm doing at the time. I don't want to be asked to leave a movie theater nor have to explain what I'm doing or defend myself during the movie. I don't want to unnecessarily disturb or create a commotion with 60 other passengers on an airplane. I don't want to flaunt my e-cig in front of other parents and their kids at the park or zoo. I don't want security called on me at a street fair. There are lots of times when it's appropriate to be discreet.

They all know what the e-cigs are but arent really sure what the hell my eVic is, so they come over to ask me what it is and why would i buy something like that. I explain the benefits of it over a normal battery as far as my experience has been. Usually they ask me where they can get one or read up on it for themselves or a loved one and i give them one of brian's cards. :)

I think with the bigger mods, some people may mistake it for some type of medical device or specialized ashma inhaler. And as such many won't say anything out of respect. But, I am glad your getting out and are not shy about whipping it out.Kudos to you for taking the time to educate people and answer questions, this gives them a positive view of e-cig's and when they do vote on legislation which would curb our right to vape, they are more likely to oppose it. And people do ask questions regardless of the size of the device (for instance smokers ask me if It has helped me quit, and I am happy to tell them yes, absolutely).

I can understand too, that there are times when you'd like to be discreet, when you really don't want a million people asking you questions or staring (and there are really still some who do not know that they are electronic and have to be told). Carrying around business cards for vaping/smoking cessation groups or vaping shops is a great idea on these occasions.

I have only had person ever ask or tell me to stop vaping. And this was at the public library. It was an elderly librarian and I swear the look on her face was that of horror, for I truly do not think she knew what it was (and this was a 808d). As God is my witness, I tell you truly, she must have been thinking to herself "The gall of that man, to smoke inside a public facility! What Nerve! What arrogance!".

So that's why I say we need to get out there and be seen and educate people. Thanks for all the replies, you guys are great!

Edited by ArnieH