Blu (yup, that's right!)

blucavvy

So, there i was at my local smoke shop picking up a few ce4's, an extra eGo batt, and some juice when i see a little Blu ecig stand. Now, i've always been at least somewhat interested in Blu. I know that the batts are insanely low mah, the cartomizers are overpriced, etc.....However, they are doing what no other ecig is, pushing electronic cigarettes into the eye of the consumer. Tv commercials, magazines, billboards, etc.

I won't lie that when i go out to a bar or something it's always been kind of awkward asking if i can use my ecig there, they always say no problem and then i pull out an eGo with a tank on it and, lol well obviously eGo's are not what the majority of people think of when they think ecigs. They're thinking a cigalike.

Well, the one thing that's kept me from ever picking up a Blu kit is their kits have always been like 60-70 dollars for two stick batts and a few carto's. Sorry but not gonna happen. Well, on this stand they were marked at $35. So that paired with the desire to carry something halfway normal around with me when i'm out led me to walk out with a Blu kit. Here's what i've observed so far.

The kit:

2 batts- assuming the 90mah version (very small)

blu pak charger- holds 3 carto's, charges one batt and holds the spare

5 carto's-vanilla, 2 tobacco, menthol, and cherry

car usb adaptor

First impression, simply-impressed. The packaging is by far the most professional packaging of any e cigarette i've ever seen. Very sleek and clean. Batteries and charge case all came charged. I'm a pretty mild vaper, only a few ml's a day. So, the small battery size won't be a problem for me for a night out on the town. They last me at my vape pace, probably 2-2 1/2 hours of use. And since the case is a charger if i decide to shut the bar down i'll still be ok :).

Flavors, i believe Blu still uses Johnson Creek for all their juices which is nice since they're an American supplier. So far i've tried Vanilla (my favorite so far), it's not a bad flavor. Nothing to write home about but i could easily vape this all night with my favorite beer in hand. Cherry, nothing good to say about it. Tastes like *** to be completely honest. I'll update after i've tried the menthol (i'm not a big menthol fan for the most part), and the tobacco.

Vapor production. Surprising out of such a small ecig. I hit the cutoff timer every drag, but the vapor is worth it. Pretty decent clouds. Throat hit, honestly this little guy packs quite a punch. Not sure of the nic content in these (didn't pay attention before i threw the box out) but there's a solid th there.

All in all, i consider it $35 well spent. I know the cartomizers are like $15 for a 5 pack which sucks, but, considering i'll basically only be using it on the weekend nights, i don't think it'll be that expensive to keep up with.

Thanks for reading :)

LOL ! never thought I would see the day.....There is something to be said about the pen style...nice and small. Its were I started (only choice back then). 510 threading? or other?

Blu was my first forray into ecigs. I still love their Vanilla above all other vanillas I have tried. I will get a package of the Vanilla if I am going on a trip or to keep as spares in case I run out of juice.

Technically, it's 306, but 306 and 510 are the same thing.

But just so you know, lorillard, the company who owns newport, now owns Blu. You may want to keep in mind the fact that by buying blu, you're supporting big tobacco.

Yeah i know Newport owns Blu, and it's not that i feel great about supporting big tobacco, but lets be honest here, how else would they have gotten all the money for the advertising? How else would e cigs be pushed out into the open in front of consumers had Lorriilard not stepped in? I'm not excusing bt for everything they've done, but, maybe in their quest for a profit they're actually helping us out? Just a thought.

To be honest, I applaud Blu for bringing awareness of e-cigs as an alternative to tobacco cigarettes to the general public. If it were not for Blu, Fin, and Njoy running television commercials, we would have a much harder time finding acceptance in vaping amongst the general public.

ya, if its 510.....whole world of cheaper heating elements.

I bought a 5 pack of vanilla Blu carts on my vacation last week. They fit on my 510 RIVA battery, but only lasted about 20 minutes till they started tasting and smelling burnt. They tasted and vaped ok till the burnt issues arose.

I bought a 5 pack of vanilla Blu carts on my vacation last week. They fit on my 510 RIVA battery, but only lasted about 20 minutes till they started tasting and smelling burnt. They tasted and vaped ok till the burnt issues arose.

I think the issue with that is they are meant to be used on the Blu batteries. I get the same on my ego batteries as well, just too much power. I get better response using my eVic dialed all the way down, but the burn still comes up after a while. Let it rest the moment you taste burn and they will come back.

I keep the Blu batteries as a final backup, as I do with the Blu carts.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the other flavors that came with the starter kit. I had previously given a brief review of the cherry and vanilla flavors.

The kit also came with 2 prefilled tobacco carto's and 1 prefilled menthol carto.

Tobacco: Just plain awful. This is one of those flavors i think they tried to make it taste like a cigarette, and i just can't even describe how bad it was. I tried to vape it for about a half hour or so to see if the taste maybe grew on me or was some type of acquired taste. No. It was awful the whole time, ended up throwing out both carto's.

Menthol: Not bad. That's about all i can say about it. I'm not a huge menthol fan to begin with but i do like a menthol here and there. This is one i could easily vape here and there. Nothing to write home about but it wasn't bad at all.

So, all i can really say is that for refills i'll probably pick up a 5 pack of the menthol, and the normal vape for these units for me will probably be the vanilla. They have other flavors available in the 5 packs but $15 is too expensive to try a flavor knowing i may end up just throwing away the other 4 if it sucks. Vanilla and menthol are where it's at for me as far as Blu ecigs go. :)

Johnson Creek's French Vanilla is the base for Blu's Vanilla. It is now my go-to and every day vape. Just ordered my 2nd batch from them. Best vanilla out there, for me. And I tried way too many to keep track of trying to find the Blu vanilla. I have a soft spot for Blu - was my first, and Vanilla was the one I started with. Cherry was good as well, but not like the Vanilla.

2 batts- assuming the 90mah version (very small)

90 mAh, ye gods! :evil: But at least they include a PCC. PCC's are great accessories for the smaller and stick batteries. Their usefulness diminishes of course when you get into the higher capacity batteries.

I like that Blu is out there and getting awareness out. I see Blu disposables almost everywhere.

Edited by ArnieH

Great review of a controversial product, Blu!

It's good to know they have come down in prices, and that a few of the flavors are enjoyable.

I feel the same way as CE. If it weren't for Blu's advertising, the other companies riding on their backs wouldn't have it very far. Advertising is expensive, which is why their product was. We owe a lot to that company. Shoot, I just might have to buy a kit now, to show my support. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just started the whole e cig thing 3 weeks ago and my first purchase and second purchase was blu. First kit I got the batteries lasted about 2 weeks before they just quit on me more or less now I can puff like 3 times on a battery and its done. I just picked up the second kit the other day batteries in this one seem a lot better than the first kit so far. Refills are like a hit and miss type thing I have gotten some that would not hit at al some hit maybe 30 good times then meh just slowly conk out at about 50. Some will give u fair vapes up till around 60 then done around 75 none go over 75 period. So if I had to rate them they would be just above crap save ur money and spend it on a good one.

• 1 month later...

Surprised to hear a relatively positive review about Blu! I agree with almost everyone else that if it wasn't for Blu, many of us wouldn't be here.

I've personally tried the disposables, but never a complete kit. I agree about the vanilla... very delicious! And I didn't necessarily hate the tobacoo like blucavvy. I actually thought it was decent... but it's totally a matter of preference. I wonder if the disposables use the same Johnson Creek smoke juice?

The bigger problem for me was the short battery life - and the cost! I just can't justify around $8 for 2 hours of use. It's a little cheaper with a kit, but still very expensive in comparison to other brands / manufacturers...

I am another vaper who found this "world" thanks to Blu, and the accolades stop there. Just as Cigbuyer said, and like i mention on one of my Youtube reviews,I NEVER had a disposable that lasted longer than 2-3 hours...at the most. Even tho I didnt have to pay the gas station prices of $12-15, I purchased mine from a local grocery store for around $7, I still dont think they're worth it. Krave is the same price ($7) around me and they were alot better :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a Blu pack as my first shot at vaping. The vanilla was also my favorite but the charging pack died on me not long after buying it. I couldn't find warranty info so I just chucked it. I would consider another Blu pack as a backup to my eGo I case I am stuck in a jam. The most surprising thing I found was the fact that you could find nic free carts in the store. I never see them for any of the others except Blu. The actual cig was fantastic. I liked the feel and the look (something about gloss and matte black together is just awesome) 8/10 from me.

• 2 months later...

My husband brought home a Blu disposable in the vanilla and I really like them. They're too expensive at almost $8 each. Analogs here are $5 a pack and because of taxes are $14 in NYC. I think that's the real reason for the e-cig ban there. Blu is the best disposable I've tried by far.

Oh, and the Blu is an elegant looking e-cig, too. I checked online, Blu advertises in three lengths from king to the 120's. I've only seen the black 100 disposable in stores. The rechargeable Blu is white in King size and each kit goes up in price with the 120's costing the most. If each cartridge really was equivalent to 2 packs, then a 5 pack of cartridges at $15 is like a carton of analogs. That'd be a good deal if true; as others on this thread say, there's no way a Blu cartridge is 2 packs of smokes.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines