E-Cig Safety: Rhetorical Question

kvjeff73

OK so we've all convinced ourselves that vaping is overall, what? Safe? Safe within reason? "Not too dangerous"? Ask any one who vapes if they are a smoker and they will 99% of the time answer a solid NO(I am including myself so don't be offended!).

How would you answer this rhetorical question: You are on a long car ride and your 2 year old is right behind you, asleep in their child seat. Are you confident enough in the safety of vaping that you would vape with your child in the car?

Edited by kvjeff73

For me personally I'd be no more comfortable vaping in a closed space with my 2 year old than giving my 2 year old a cup of coffee. While the studies are admittedly slim, there are in fact some available. With that said have I vaped in front of my children, do I think it's harmed them? No, not at all.

Boston Universities school of public health found that e cigarettes carcinogen levels are 1,000 times lower than traditional tobacco. Source There are other studies readily available here on the forum and online. Prior to e cigarettes becoming as popular as they are now, many of us old timers spent the majority of our time figuring out the safety and long term effects of e cigarettes. (To the best of our ability) These days, we're confident that e cigarettes are a safer alternative.

Just look at a cigarette, it has 2,000 chemicals, Published. e liquid on the other hand has less than 10 ingredients.

I pretty much follow the same etiquette as I did when I smoked. When around others, I never fogged up the place with cigarette smoke, and I don't do it with vapor, either. Call it habit, but I still crack the window in the car when I vape while driving (even when I'm alone). I guess I just don't like the vapor hanging in the air and obstructing my view.

When I smoked analogs I didn't smoke them inside the house, always went outside. I smoked in my car but not when there was a non-smoker riding along. On long trips, my stopping to get out of the car to smoke made the trip longer. Oh well. I always crack the window open when I drive, it doesn't matter if I'm smoking, vaping or whatever. I just like the fresh air.

Aaaaaand I'm allergic to little kids so they don't get to ride in my car. :evil:

I wouldn't in a car,perhaps inside across the room.I suppose as long as you put them in a car seat you could tie them on the roof,plenty of fresh air there.Actually the exhaust fumes from the car or truck in front of you is probably doing more harm than the ecig.

• 3 weeks later...

I probably wouldn't vape with my kid in a closed space. Not due to the danger, it would just be hard explaining to my hypothetical 2 year old that although this looks like the smoke from mommy's (I guess my hypothetical wife is a smoker?) cigarette, it's not. Like another vaper posted, I vape like how I smoked, and will always ask if it's okay for me to vape somewhere and I'm always willing to explain in detail what I'm using. However, at home, I've explained to my girlfriend that it's vapor and not smoke and she has not once complained of offensive odors or irritation from the second-hand vapor. She very much approves over this than my old smoking habit.

Kvjeff73 (sir?) not a doctor by any means, but have read any info I can get my hands on about nicotine consumption, pg and vg consumption, second hand vaping affects, etc. What I can tell you is pg is pumped into hospital air to help kill the germs, so can't see how any vapor produced from an ecig can be dangerous to those around you unless they have an alcohol allergy. Vape constantly around my wife and dogs (which are like my children. Besides, when you drop 10 grand into your dog's knee you won't do anything around that could potentially harm them). My wife hates cigarettes with a passion, has no issue with my vaping. So in a long about way, yes I would vape around my kids when I have them. Would also educate them on all the in's and out's of vaping as soon as I knew they could understand it (same goes for my consumption of adult beverages).

Yes, I have been vaping with my daughter around since she was born (obviously not blowing it in her face). She is now 2 years old and doctors havent even asked if her parents smoke. I know a lot of children, especially today, start to develop breathing problems due to their parents smoking, and yet, nothing with my daughter. I am so confident in vaping that, I had made a 22 hour trip to Michigan from Texas with my daughter in the back seat and my wife next to me asleep... neither one awoke because of a "smell". Although, now that I am vaping more "fruity" flavors, my wife is totally diggin' the smell of the vapor.

• 2 weeks later...