Hello - New And Finally Quitting!

VegasVapeGirl

I have been casually using e-cigs for a few weeks now, and now that I've got the information and experience, I've cut my smoking in half and have found I prefer using my e-cigs. I think I'm ready to take the plunge and actually quit smoking. I've tried many times with various NRT's. I always said I'd quit by 30 - and I turned 30 last month. October 1st is my quit date.

Just a quick hello and most importantly a thank you to everyone here for having a place for people to go for real information. It's such a huge industry and with so many different components to choose from it can be overwhelming. I haven't settled in with a brand yet - really still shopping around.

I can't wait to share my experience as I go along and look forward to getting to know you all better!

Welcome...I started out with e cigs from the 7 11 and gas stations. Now that I have my Ego Pass through its like nite and day...I can charge the battery and vape at the same time. Ask all the questions you need this is a great community.

I'm very happy for your progress and somewhat envious because I've been trying to get started for 2 weeks now and am NOWHERE. At the advise of someone whose been vaping for a good while I bought an Ego Dual coil Cartomizer 3.5 ml Tank Kit. After watching 6 zillion videos & knowing how critical proper priming was, I none the less failed at my first attempt, seemingly burning out the cartorizer - vapor seemed burnt & was really strong. On the 2nd attempt, with a sweeter juice I made sure cartorizer was fully saturated by continuing to prime until I could see saturation at very top when I removed drip tip. In fact there was a little leakage out the battery connection end of the tank, but that stopped after a little bltting with a napkin & a little rest time. When I hooked up my newly charged battery, it produced plenty of vapor, & I could here the craklin sound that I've read is o.k., but upon inhaling I can't seem to keep the vapor in long enough to not cough, like its too strong, or too rough or scrathy, or the hit is just too much for me to handle. Now I'm a 1.5 - 2 pk a day smoker for @ 40 yrs. & I can't fugure out what's going on. If I draw slow (still) but take a smaller "hit" I can keep from coughing but there's little or no vape on the exhale, making the experience not so joyful. Can anyone relate to my experience or know what is going on? Bruce

welcome to VT Bruce and sorry to hear of your troubles. Lets get this thing figured out. First a few questions.

1. Is the battery you're using a genuine ego? Or is it an "off" brand like a kgo? I ask because the two have different voltages that could b affecting the carto tank.

2. What resistance catomizers did you get for the tank? They should have listed "ohms"

3. What level nicotine juice are you using? The more nic the juice has the more throat hit it will have.

a carto tank is not the easiest delivery system for a newb to start with. I would really recommend a simple 2.0ohm 510 Boge carto. Like this. Tanks come with a lot of hassles.

sorry I'm having trouble linking from my tablet but nashvillevapor.com has great prices on boge 510 cartomizers.

Welcome Bruce!

I had the same problem when I first started (a whole two weeks ago). I would cough if I took a slow draw like everyone recommends. I guess maybe it takes some practice or getting used to? I'm now able to draw nice and slow without coughing my hit. I find myself sitting here almost chain vaping because I like watching the cloud. One thing I did notice is that my fruity flavors are a little harder for me to inhale at first than my sweet, creamy flavors (like vanilla and mocha). Not sure what I can tell you that will help as I'm still new at this myself, other than that I've been there and it does get better.

Thanks so much for responding, & I'm so grateful to have found this forum to share ideas. My battery is a Smok Tech Black 900mAh eGo 510 3.7. The kit came with 2 cartomizers, which R the only ones I've used so far. They are 1.5 ohm stainless dual coil tank cartomizers, & appear to be eGo. I actually used 24mg tobacco type juice on 1st failed attempt to prime, but used a 18mg "cinnamon Danish Swirl", 100%VG, full bottle sample that I got from The Vapor Room on my initial juice order. I can taste the sweetness in the vapor before I inhale. I can take a look at Nashvillevapor.com, but as my (unmet) email friend told me from his experiences he ended up with this kit because you can vape all day with less fuss throughout the day with the tank, etc. (although admittedly it aint workin out so great.....). Bottom line is I've already got close to $100+ invested with initial juice order & I'd hate to abandon this if ther's a way out.... He also always got 100%VG & I wonder if the thickness involved in that comes into play at all, although he's got the same equipment & seems to have no problem.... Bruce

well the base of the liquid could be a problem as well. some people have allergies to propolyne glycol and some have allergies to vegetable glycerin. that could possibly be causing the very "harsh" hit.

i totally understand not wanting to invest more, starting up can absolutely be expensive. and yes, tanks are a great way to vape with less hassle. however, their is a learning curve with them whereas with a standard carto it's pretty simple.

i'm not really sure y your first carto "burned", i'll have to just assume that the liquid had not fully saturated the carto. 18mg should be an ok starting point for you if you smoked that much, but i remember when i first started it can be pretty harsh for awhile.

it could still be your draw that's causing you problems, make sure to inhale slowly, this is nothing like smoking a cigarette. i usually take a hit for roughly 5 seconds or so then inhale a bit of air and exhale.

the eGo should be able to handle your 1.5ohm carto's just fine, however they will produce a large amount of vapor and it should be pretty warm. you may want to try a single coil 2.0ohm tank carto. that should be a little less warm, and a little less extreme as far as your hit goes. should be easier to handle.

hope this helps Bruce and if you've got any more questions you know where to post :)

also yes, 100%vg liquid is VERY thick and can very easily have issues getting into those small holes on the tank carto's. some people have opened those holes up some but i would really look at that as a last resort as it's easy to mess up.

when i was using a tank, i found that after taking a few hits pulling the drip tip off and sliding the tank up some so that the holes could be exposed to air and out of the liquid it can help the holes to pull more liquid in when you slide the tank back down. chainvaping on a tank with 100%vg liquid simply doesn't work. also as you vape it you'll still have to top the carto off occassionally but the tank should keep the carto mostly saturated.

Yes... as he says... the 100% VG really is simply too thick. I know you don't want to hear this... but I would go and buy yourself some juice that is around 50/50... VG/PG. A great way to use up your VG based juice would be to get yourself a LR atomizer and just 'direct drip' the thick stuff. GOOD LUCK!

thanx for all the good input. Last ? for now seems really dumb, but I'm weighing your words carefully, & I want to be sure I'm "smoking" this thing properly. I'm assuming I should draw the vapor slowly (say 5 seconds or so) into my mouth first, then inhale the vapor from what Ive accumulated into my mouth. Is that correct? I'm not smpkin "hootch" here & should be drawing directly into my lungs, right? LOL!!!

Well thanx everyone for your help. Met my (email) mentor today for 1st time. We traded Ecigs and I learned that there was nothing wrong with mine, and that my inability to take a fairly deep vape without coughing is something I just need to work on. Knowing that I wasn't inhaling a defective or burnt cartorizer has already made it easier in a sense. I'll get this down!