Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo

"the Pulse" Mod

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon

Brandon

Mega Poster

• VT Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:37 AM

Well it looks like Cisco has done it again. Except this time, he's going super high tech and bringing together a team of coders.

The Pulse mod sounds like it's going to be the next big breakthrough in PVs. I honestly thought it was a joke until I got to around page 5 of the thread. I dislike posting links to other forums here, but I feel it necessary this time. The full description and thread can be found here: http://www.vapersfor...ead.php?t=15615

The Pulse is microprocessor controlled PV, pulsing power to the atomizer at variable voltages. Pulse width modulation is something I've not ventured into yet in my DIY hobby projects, but there are tons of benefits. I just never thought about it being used to power an atomizer :)

Here is quote from Cisco outlining the abilities:

Some of the features that will be available, maybe not in the first runs, but the PV has the ability to have code updates installed. If a new feature is designed the code and/or software can be updated.

*Micro processor controlled
*User controlled power setting
*Infinitely adjustable voltage (from standard 3.7v to 6v+)
*Adjustable power curve (max. 10 sequences per drag)
*Customizable power curves (max. 10 sequences per drag)
*Profile sharing (download and install other users profiles)
*Dual battery operation 2 3.7v protected 18350's(features enabled)
*Single battery operation (features disabled, uses 3.7v protected 18650)
*USB pass-through capable (Features and profiles disabled)
*wall pack power Pass-through @8v (features enabled)
*Customizable LED notifications
*Vaping usage log with time and date stamping (coding not complete)
*Auto Atomizer resistance detection (coding not complete)
*Battery protection
*Low battery notification
*Atomizer connector short circuit protection
*Advanced software settings mode
*Auto device install via USB
*Toggle profile mode (PV can store 4 profiles)
*Profile change on the fly (change loaded profiles without USB connect)

Thus far he says it will be available later this summer around June/July, and hasn't fully estimated the purchase price yet. The only hint in that regard is that he said it will definitely *not* be under $200. I personally don't expect to see it for much less than $300 considering what this beast can do.

#2 VaPOOrizer

VaPOOrizer

Contributing Member

• VT Member
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:My wife and family, vaping, making money..

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:25 AM

Well it looks like Cisco has done it again. Except this time, he's going super high tech and bringing together a team of coders.

The Pulse mod sounds like it's going to be the next big breakthrough in PVs. I honestly thought it was a joke until I got to around page 5 of the thread. I dislike posting links to other forums here, but I feel it necessary this time. The full description and thread can be found here: http://www.vapersfor...ead.php?t=15615

The Pulse is microprocessor controlled PV, pulsing power to the atomizer at variable voltages. Pulse width modulation is something I've not ventured into yet in my DIY hobby projects, but there are tons of benefits. I just never thought about it being used to power an atomizer :)

Here is quote from Cisco outlining the abilities:

Thus far he says it will be available later this summer around June/July, and hasn't fully estimated the purchase price yet. The only hint in that regard is that he said it will definitely *not* be under $200. I personally don't expect to see it for much less than $300 considering what this beast can do.

Well, it has tons of bells and whistles, thats for sure.. but for me, less is more. That is too much crap going on there, too much can go wrong, and over $300.00? It better be able to fetch me a beer! LOL If you get one, I'd love to see a video review.. :thumbsup:

#3 stormchas3r

stormchas3r

Super Poster

• VT Member
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Too many

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:26 AM

Wow, talk about keeping up with technology. That would be awesome to own something like that. I'm not familiar with cisco's products. Were can we go keep track of this?

TY,

Rob

#4 Mike

Mike

I don't make the rules I only say what's on my mind

• VIP Member
  • 1,183 posts
  • Interests:family, friends, music, motorbikes, deep space

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:31 AM

This sounds like something that may be superior to other devices...,,BUT,..Is it really worth it? It's nice to have a lot of different toys and I like knowing that I have several different high and low voltage units. The truth is, to me anyway, that I find the best vaping experince with my standard 510 batterys and a low resistance atty with a drip tip. It doesn't get any better than that for me. My 6v homemade passthrough does a great job with a standard atty when I'm driving around in my truck but you just can't beat the tiny size and performance of a standard 510, IMO.

#5 FTJoe

FTJoe

Vapor Talk Veteran

• VIP Member
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:34 AM

For some it will be...I'd rather have a bunch of backups instead. I like the mega batts with the LR atty. Have a mega PCC so it stays fully charged (probably shortening the life of the battery tremendously). Best for me is the spade with an LR and drip tip...got 8 batteries coming soon as I'm down to 1.

Edited by FTJoe, 07 May 2010 - 05:34 AM.

#6 Kragax

Kragax

Mega Poster

• VT Member
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Competive Shooting, Computers, Vaping

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:45 AM

Im still inlove with my vypr. I do use my 510 and 510 pass thrus though. Lived on my pass thru yesterday as I left the vypr in the van all day.

#7 Burn

Burn

Insane Poster

• VIP Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:21 AM

Everything Cisco mentions for the mod does make sense although I also feel less is usually more. However, I do realize that PVs in and of themselves is an emerging technology and we could very well be looking back at this thread in a couple of years and be laughing about the "primative caveman mod" that Cisco rolled out in the summer of '10.

#8 Brandon

Brandon

Mega Poster

• VT Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:05 AM

*****EDIT: Cisco didn't actually make the screwdriver, it was Trog. Apologies for my misinformation*****

Thus far the only way to keep track of the Pulse's development is to keep track of it on his thread at Vaper's Forum.

To those not familiar with Cisco (and of course I'm not personally familiar with him, just his history, writings, and apperances on VaporCast) he's commonly known as the godfather of mod-PVs. Not that making the first mod was his idea, nor did he actually come out with the first mod.

But he was one of the first. The Laser Pointer Mod and the ScrewDriver mod are essentially his. And he was also one of the first to make detailed tutorials. And this will be his first mod that he's making commercially.

Nowadays tutorials are a dime a dozen, but that wasn't the case in the twilight years of vaping.

In any case, I know for a fact that this type of mod is a step in the right direction. The more we distance vaping from smoking the better off we will be. Smoking never had electronics, pulse width modulation, or firmware :)

Like every purchase I make, I won't be the first one. I'll wait for a few reviews first.

But even with that said, I still plan on making a Nuck's FistPack.

Edited by Brandon, 07 May 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#9 Sinikal

Sinikal

O.G Sin

• VIP Member
  • 775 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

(Moving to mod tips and tricks) :detective:

#10 SickDripzz

SickDripzz

Contributing Member

• VT Member
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Dubstep, Online Gaming, Technology, Vaping

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

A wall outlet powered pass-through at 8 VOLTS? Did I read that right?? I'm in, I'm sold, I want one! Nah not quite but that is damn impressive. I would be willing to snag one of these bad boys if they are really made out to what they're supposed to be... but this is as epic as it gets with e cigs so far; 3 bills on one device? Yikes! Better have the power of two Jokers used simutaneously :thumbsup: lol