Quitting Yet Again?

jonnoh

I have to admit to a certain resentment I used to feel towards people who'd successfully quit smoking. Like maybe they were like the rats deserting the sinking ship. Leaving the club. Traitors to the cause. Or maybe just totally jealous of those who could do what I couldn't. I would of course cover by saying how much I admired them for their success because to me it would have been the hardest thing I'd ever done, and I couldn't muster the internal fortitude to do it. Now that vaping is here I have to re evaluate. With vaping, quitting cigs was initially terrifying, but ultimately painless. I'm still totally amazed and awed. Those words aren't too strong.

Now, I know this guy who sells CCTV stuff locally and he and I started vaping at about the same time. I must admit I really don't enjoy his company very much and used to cringe when he hale and hearty wanted to chat in the pub. But we suddenly had something in common and used to talk about our successive improvement in equipment, how we didn't miss cigs etc. and he got into making mods out of wooden boxes and some of his designs were awesome to behold. The reason I don't really enjoy his company is that he's one of those guys who can out do anything I ever did. He can swim farther, run faster, earn more, sell better, you know the guy. Now he can out design me :) So he one upped me yet again. A few months ago he also quit vaping by the time tested method of reducing nicotine content over time and he's now so proud yet again. It reminds me of a Reader's Digest piece called 'Weaned at Last' It merely consisted of a series of pics. The first one showed a baby breast feeding, the second one showed the kid a toddler sucking on a bottle, the third a youngish boy sucking on a lolly pop, then the forth, as a teen smoking a cigarette, and the final pic as a young adult smiling with the caption, 'Weaned at Last'.

Anyway that same resentment started to creep in, and I should be really happy that this guy is able to now live his life without putting any foreign substance into his lungs, yet it's still there in the back of my mind. Of course we went into this venture with different goals. Mine to just get off the analogues, and see what happens. His was to get off analogues and then get off vaping.

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone salutes.

Cheers! Jon

One uppers are the worst! They bring out the not-so-kind side of me. "Good for you! Now stfu" Lol

I agree totally and have used that responce on occasion .... without the LOL.

As to vaping, my goal was to get away from tobacco, which I have done - painlessly I might add. And, at this point I have no plans to quit everything. At my age, this old dog isn't very interested in learning too many new tricks all at once. 50 years of smoking takes a bit of readjusting to get to nothing-to-do-with-my-hands. I ain't too much on "Keeping up with the Joneses". Mr. Jones can do as he wants, I'll do things my way.

All I can say is don't let it bother you. I guess Im just the kind of guy that could care less what anyone else is doing or has done in there life. As long as it doesn't affect me so be it. Just my 2 cents...

Me too!

Ben Harper Lyrics:

my choice is what I choose to do

and if I'm causing no harm

it shouldn't bother you

your choice is who you choose to be

and if your causin' no harm

then you're alright with me

Haha, yes! And from Jimi:

If the sun refuse to shine,

I don't mind, I don't mind,

If the mountains fell in the sea,

let it be, it ain't me.

Alright, 'cos I got my own world to look through,

And I ain't gonna copy you.

Now if 6 turned out to be 9,

I don't mind, I don't mind,

Alright, if all the hippies cut off all their hair,

I don't care, I don't care.

Dig, 'cos I got my own world to live through

And I ain't gonna copy you.

White collared conservative flashing down the street,

Pointing their plastic finger at me.

They're hoping soon my kind will drop and die,

But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high, high.

Wave on, wave on

Fall mountains, just don't fall on me

Go ahead on Mr. Business man, you can't dress like me.

Sing on Brother, play on drummer.

• 2 weeks later...