Fda Loses Woot Woot

Jeffb

By Don Jeffrey

(Updates with FDA, company comments starting in fourth paragraph.)

Dec. 7 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration lacks the authority to regulate electronic cigarettes under the drug/device provisions of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, an appeals court ruled, upholding a lower-court decision.

The U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington said today the FDA has the authority only to regulate e-cigarettes as a tobacco product.

The case was brought by e-cigarette companies including Sottera Inc., which argued that their products, battery-powered devices that produce a nicotine vapor instead of tobacco smoke, are tobacco products and not drugs.

“We are studying the opinion and considering next steps,” Jeffrey Ventura, a spokesman for the FDA, said in an e-mailed statement.

Sottera, which does business as NJoy, and other e-cigarette manufacturers market their products as alternatives to tobacco for smokers. Sottera argued that the products aren’t marketed for therapeutic use but for “smoking pleasure.”

“We’re thrilled,” Craig Weiss, the president of Scottsdale, Arizona-based NJoy, said in a telephone interview. “NJoy has taken many steps to be the industry leader in terms of responsible marketing of electronic cigarettes. Now we can continue to sell e-cigarettes under the regulations of the Tobacco Act.”

The case is Sottera Inc. v. Food & Drug Administration, 10-5032, U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit (Washington). The lower-court case was Smoking Everywhere Inc. v. U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 1:09-cv-00771, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia (Washington).

--Editors: Andrew Dunn, Glenn Holdcraft.

Score one for us but they still have some fight in them: "“We are studying the opinion and considering next steps,” Jeffrey Ventura, a spokesman for the FDA, said in an e-mailed statement."

I wasn't trying to be a buzzkill. I was asking if it means we can celebrate. I never know with these things, they always seem to come back with something somehow. lol

I love the back and forth...you guys could be a sitcom. I agree though...I wanna celebrate but as sure as I do we will get the next wave of bad news. Oh whatever...I'm celebratin' :devil:

So I woke up to an email from Jeff today, this is fantastic news! I don't think we've won the war but we have definitely won another battle. :thumbsup:

This is great news!!!

You know what really got my blood boiling though?

The FDA is “studying the opinion and considering next steps,” Jeffrey Ventura, a spokesman for the agency, said

Can you believe the nerve!? Wow. It was a ruling not an opinion! Amazing. Also FDA, please release my shipments and move along! :lol::thumbsup: