Bans Currently Under Way In 4 States

Alright Vapor Talkers and Vapors from around the country (and world for that matter) Once again your right to vape is slippping away. We've got 3 choices.

1. Hope someone else magically fixes this problem.

2. Hope it doesn't effect your state and someone how you'll be lucky (don't count on it)

3. Time to start kicking *** and taking names the good old american way.

The following states currently have bills pending to ban the sales of Electronic Cigarettes. Here are some things you NEED to do in order to stop this mess. We did it during the last California attempt to ban we need to do it again!

1. Find out who your Senator is and who your "House" representative is. (Titles vary from state to state. Examples include Representative, Assembly member, Delegate).

2. Phone their offices and/or send a letter by snail mail. Seriously members call the Vapor Talk line all day long do the same only this time with your senators. Do it at work, do it in the car, call call call and demand a responce.

3. Tell your story about how e-cigarettes have helped you and tell them that you oppose ### (where ### equals the official bill designation) because it would make the sale of the products illegal.

4. Point out that thousands of citizens would be forced to relapse to smoking.

Even if you dont' live in the state try to get your word out, we all need to help each other! This could go wide spread VERY quickly. It looks like this time they are coming down quick and heavy.

Currently there are bills in the following states CA, IL, MD, and NY. If your aware of any other states post back here and on any other electornic cigarette forum. We need to band togeather on this.

Contact information for the four states mentioned above can be found within the following threads:

New York: A9529

Senate Version: http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S7234 Click Here

Look up your legislator - Response #34

Email Addresses - Response #56

Illinois: SB3174

Illinois Bill to prohibit sale of PV's - Click Here

**Contact Info for House Human Services Committee Members - Response #62

To find your state representative, go to www.ilga.gov and click on Legislator Lookup in the lower, right-hand portion of the page.

Maryland: HB720 - BILL HAS BEEN VOTED DOWN! :D

Look up MD elected official: http://mdelect.net/electedofficials/

California: SB 882 Senate Bill - INTRODUCED - This isn't the first time Ms. Corbett has introduced this bill.

California: bill to define e-cigs a drug CLICK HERE TO SEE THE BILL UPDATES

Contact Information for Sponsor Ellen Corbett - See Response #6

List of CA Senators' email addresses: http://www.sen.ca.gov/~newsen/senators/senemail.htp

List of CA Assembly members: http://www.assembly.ca.gov/clerk/MEMBERINFORMATION/memberdir_1.asp

Look up your legislator: Click Here for California State Legislature

PLEASE PLEASE get those emails and phone calls out there! It's only takes a minute of your time. If you wish to create email templates or easy messages for other members to send, feel free to create a topic or leave your response so other members can use your messages.

Good Luck, we're going to need it.

*Special Thanks to Vocalek

Contact the NY State Senate here:

http://www.nysenate.gov/contact_form

I wish there was a number we could call. I prefer to express my opinion through a phone call rather than a message that will probably be deleted.

If they go through with this ban, then TRUST ME, I will find ways to get my e-cig supplies, and so will everybody else. If I can manage to get marijuana on a daily basis and other illegal drugs I shouldn't mention, I'm confident I'll get my bottles of e-liquid. Think about the old prohibition of alcohol and the current prohibition of marijuana, it's not stopping anyone from getting what they want, and it hasn't in the past! LOL I can just imagine calling my "dealer" and picking up some attys and a few bottles of liquid. But in all seriousness, these bans would move e-cig's into the underground market. We have the right to vape.

Regardless, we must do everything we can to stop this ban.

One more thing I want to add. If they go through with these bans, then more and more people will start to think that e-cigs are not effective and bad for your health. People will think that since it's "illegal" that means it has to be bad for you, because, after all, the government is always right. On top of that, I'd guess that about 80% of current vapers would not want to do anything illegal, so would have no choice but to either go cold turkey or go back to analogs. However, I'm sure that most of us veteran vapers would NEVER go to back to analogs after all the progress we've made of being smoke-free.

Here's a good question,

If, lets say, they go through with these bans, couldn't I just buy my supplies from a supplier who is from a "legal" state? If not, I might just have to stock up on e-liquid. However, I just can't imagine it being that difficult to get supplies, even if they go through with the bans. Then again, most suppliers would not want to risk their business by selling to an illegal state and lose their company.

IN A NUTSHELL,

These bans would:

-Prevent potential vapers and let them die from lung cancer

-Put some current vapers back to analogs, so we too can die of lung cancer

-Create an illegal, underground market, so anyone who keeps vaping is a criminal

-Put a lot of suppliers out of business

-Make me so very upset

Edited by actor92191

Utah just got finished passing a law in regards to E-Cigs. Not banning them, but if you are in jail, or a mental institution... you are not allowed to vape. It is now also a serious matter if you use a fake ID to obtain an E-Cig and you are under age to do so.

Hey Chris thanks but no thanks I'm from Ilinois and it makes me angry that there trying to pass this bill, it's just big brother that wants his cut so why don't they just figure out a way to tax me and leave me vape in peace .

If they do get it passed I will just have to go underground, I have friends in Indiana that will help me anyway so if I have to be a criminal so be it :2guns:

I started doing a little search to find some more info on Calif SB 882 and found this. Interesting but I don't believe it is accurate unless I am reading the bill incorrectly. It is a long and somewhat boring document.

Click on the link and scroll to SB 882.

http://www.center4tobaccopolicy.org/_files/_files/March%202010%20Legislative%20Update.pdf

this is a list of links of all the Calif Senators on the "Senate Health Commitee".

Members:

Senator Elaine Alquist (Chair)

Senator Tony Strickland (Vice-Chair)

Senator Samuel Aanestad

Senator Gilbert Cedillo

Senator Dave Cox

Senator Mark Leno

Senator Gloria Negrete McLeod

Senator Fran Pavley

Senator Gloria Romero

Here a link to all Calif Senators snail mail addresses

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/sen-addresses.html

Edited by Vacker1229

I started doing a little search to find some more info on Calif SB 882 and found this. Interesting but I don't believe it is accurate unless I am reading the bill incorrectly. It is a long and somewhat boring document.

Click on the link and scroll to SB 882.

http://www.center4tobaccopolicy.org/_files/_files/March%202010%20Legislative%20Update.pdf

So does this mean that we are against SB 400 and not SB 882, as SB 882 is only the sale to minors. I am confused ... Is www.center4tobaccopolicy.org working for us or against us? Is their publication correct or are they trying to move us away from the SB 882 by making us think it is only regarding the sale to minors. I wouldn't put it past anyone who might be receiving money from the tobacco industry. Help ... we really need to be mentioning the right bill.

Thanks,

Celtic

Hey Chris thanks but no thanks I'm from Ilinois and it makes me angry that there trying to pass this bill, it's just big brother that wants his cut so why don't they just figure out a way to tax me and leave me vape in peace . If they do get it passed I will just have to go underground, I have friends in Indiana that will help me anyway so if I have to be a criminal so be it :2guns:

First off I didn't mean any offense to Chris when I said thanks but no thanks in my post, he's delivering the news and keeping us up to date on whets happening.

I just got angry when I read the bad news about my state.

Contact the NY State Senate here:

http://www.nysenate.gov/contact_form

I wish there was a number we could call. I prefer to express my opinion through a phone call rather than a message that will probably be deleted.

If they go through with this ban, then TRUST ME, I will find ways to get my e-cig supplies, and so will everybody else. If I can manage to get marijuana on a daily basis and other illegal drugs I shouldn't mention, I'm confident I'll get my bottles of e-liquid. Think about the old prohibition of alcohol and the current prohibition of marijuana, it's not stopping anyone from getting what they want, and it hasn't in the past! LOL I can just imagine calling my "dealer" and picking up some attys and a few bottles of liquid. But in all seriousness, these bans would move e-cig's into the underground market. We have the right to vape.

Regardless, we must do everything we can to stop this ban.

One more thing I want to add. If they go through with these bans, then more and more people will start to think that e-cigs are not effective and bad for your health. People will think that since it's "illegal" that means it has to be bad for you, because, after all, the government is always right. On top of that, I'd guess that about 80% of current vapers would not want to do anything illegal, so would have no choice but to either go cold turkey or go back to analogs. However, I'm sure that most of us veteran vapers would NEVER go to back to analogs after all the progress we've made of being smoke-free.

Here's a good question,

If, lets say, they go through with these bans, couldn't I just buy my supplies from a supplier who is from a "legal" state? If not, I might just have to stock up on e-liquid. However, I just can't imagine it being that difficult to get supplies, even if they go through with the bans. Then again, most suppliers would not want to risk their business by selling to an illegal state and lose their company.

IN A NUTSHELL,

These bans would:

-Prevent potential vapers and let them die from lung cancer

-Put some current vapers back to analogs, so we too can die of lung cancer

-Create an illegal, underground market, so anyone who keeps vaping is a criminal

-Put a lot of suppliers out of business

-Make me so very upset

Lastly I just wanted to say I'm right there with you actor92191 everything you said is true, they couldn't stop the old prohibition of alcohol nor have they stopped anyone from getting marijuana, it's just another new prohibition they will start with e-cigs and PV's :2guns:

Edited by Metalmadman

So does this mean that we are against SB 400 and not SB 882, as SB 882 is only the sale to minors. I am confused ... Is www.center4tobaccopolicy.org working for us or against us? Is their publication correct or are they trying to move us away from the SB 882 by making us think it is only regarding the sale to minors. I wouldn't put it past anyone who might be receiving money from the tobacco industry. Help ... we really need to be mentioning the right bill.

Thanks,

Celtic

SB400 was vetoed in 2009 by the governor. the current and correct bill is SB882 introduced by Corbett in Feb this year. We were against SB 400 now that is over, we are now against SB882. They speak of only banning sales to minors but as always once a bill like this gets started it opens the door to ban all sales. Sorry you are confused, everything mentioned in this thread is regarding SB882 the current bill. The only mention SB400 in the above link is "This legislation is similar to SB 400 that Senator Corbett introduced in 2009. That bill was passed by the Assembly and Senate but vetoed by the Governor."

Edited by Vacker1229

After reading through the bill http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0851-0900/sb_882_bill_20100114_introduced.html it appears to ammend the "Stop Tobacco Access to Kids Enforcement Act" to include electronic cigarettes. I'm sure most of us can agree with prohibiting the sales of e-cigs to minors. But we need to watch it, as sometimes extra language gets put in along the way.

After reading through the bill http://www.leginfo.c...introduced.html it appears to ammend the "Stop Tobacco Access to Kids Enforcement Act" to include electronic cigarettes. I'm sure most of us can agree with prohibiting the sales of e-cigs to minors. But we need to watch it, as sometimes extra language gets put in along the way.

soooo true "extra language", that's what I mean by "it opens the door". And going back to the vetoed bill of last year that actually started out referring to "green" cars, boy did she put a spin that bill!!

This has seriosuly gone on long enough. I figured NY would try to ban it eventually. Ecigs have saved my life, and i refuse to go back to analogs. Im tired of being pushed around by the government. I pay them enough tax dollars as it stands. I dont know if this is only my opinion, but this is all about money. It always has been. The FDA is a government orginization. If the sale of Cigarettes goes down, they realize alot of taxes wil be lost. Instead of trying to further themselves and big tobacco using lobbyists to fatten thier wallets, they should be worrying about the Huge national debt we have. Not trying to come after us vapers, who just want to live and get away from the nasty analog habit we once had. So i say all of us, as americans, we should rise up and finally take back whats ours. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I dont know about all of you, but vaping is my pursuit of happiness, my ticket to not being buried six feet under cuz of cancer. You best believe ill be calling them senators. We can do this guys, just stay strong, and good luck to us all.

PS: HAPPY VAPING

If it's to stop the sale of Electronic Cigarette sales to minors only then of course I'm all for it. But as Vacker stated Corbett's last bill started of as a "green" bill that ended up banning electronic cigarettes. Luckily for us Arnold ended up stamping it with a big fat veto. We just need to keep a very close eye on the bill and make sure it doesn't outright ban ecigs like last time.

I want to begin by thanking you Chris, without your help, many of us e cig users would be SOL on information like myself. I knew a CA bill was tried a while ago but didn't realize they were back at it...

So I read through the initial post and some of the links and I was determined to send in a reponse to two of my CA senators, both agressive letters in relation to what could happen if this bill is passed. All great stuff here and I'm out to spread the positive word some more.

And I sure feel a hell of a lot better about myself after doing that. Again, thanks Chris.

Here's what I wrote to my senators:

The current bill SB 882 to ban Electronic Cigarettes CANNOT BE PASSED. Thousands of Americans nationwide have used and are using Electronic Cigarettes to quit smoking traditional cigarettes which cause lung cancer. LUNG CANCER IS THE LEADING KILLING CANCER IN THE US!!!! That is only for the US, let alone many parts of the world... Passing this bill for the goverment will cause many Electronic Cigarette using Americans to divert back to traditional cigarettes, that is a big mistake!! Of course that means the government and BIG PHARMA companies get more of their money back... YOU WILL EVENTUALLY BE EXPOSED BY THE BIGGER PICTURE BEHIND CIGARETTE SALES AND THIS BILL WILL TRIGGER IT IF PASSED. Please support the use Electronic Cigarettes, it has the potential to axe lung cancer deaths at least in half... Proove how an Electronic Cigarette is worse in ANY WAY POSSIBLE compared to a traditional cigarette, then a bill maybe valid. Until then, this is a skeptical issue working behind the scenes produced by government officials. This will obviously also create a black market for Electronic Cigarettes and its components. It really seems like some government officials jumped on their horses too fast when they saw how much money these BIG PHARMA companies were loosing on taxed sales... VOTE AGAINST SB 882.

Revision of what was actually sent:

The current bill SB 882 to ban Electronic Cigarettes CANNOT BE PASSED. Thousands of Americans nationwide have used and are using Electronic Cigarettes to quit smoking traditional cigarettes which cause lung cancer. LUNG CANCER IS THE LEADING KILLING CANCER IN THE US!!!! That is only for the US, let alone many parts of the world... Passing this bill for the goverment will cause many Electronic Cigarette using Americans to divert back to traditional cigarettes, that is a big mistake!! Of course that means the government and BIG PHARMA companies get more of their money back... GOVERNMENT BEHIND THE SCENES WILL EVENTUALLY BE EXPOSED BY THE BIGGER PICTURE BEHIND CIGARETTE SALES AND THIS BILL WILL TRIGGER IT IF PASSED. Please support the use Electronic Cigarettes, it has the potential to axe lung cancer deaths at least in half... Proove how an Electronic Cigarette is worse in ANY WAY POSSIBLE compared to a traditional cigarette, then a bill maybe valid. Until then, this is a skeptical issue working behind the scenes produced by government officials. This will obviously also create a black market for Electronic Cigarettes and its components. It really seems like some government officials jumped on their horses too fast when they saw how much money these BIG PHARMA companies were loosing on taxed sales and how a serious increase in population can occur with the decline of taxed tobacco products... I SERIOUSLY HOPE THIS IS NOT THE CASE. VOTE AGAINST SB 882.

---This is big stuff right here guys. If this bill gets passed in CA I seriously think the public will begin to catch on and the government will eventually be EXPOSED.

Here are a few things I believe the goverment to be looking at very closely, in best interest for them, and not us American citizens.

-A large increase in population can occur with the decline of cigarette sales which cigarettes are the #1 cause of Lung Cancer.

-Lung Cancer is the #1 cause of death by cancer, which cancer is #2 to Heart Disease by all deaths in the US.

-A large decrease in tax revenue from taxed tobacco products which annually generates an estimated $34,359,861,000.

-If Electronic Cigarettes cut cigarette and tobacco related sales by 25%, the government would be losing an estimated $8,589,965,250 annually.

Those things listed look HORRIBLE in the governments eyes and they will do ANYTHING necessary to prevent something like that from happening (Like presenting this BS bill to ban them and for what reason exactly?). Well the government can't say exactly why because it would be considered INHUMANE BY ALMOST EVERYONE READING IT!! Not all government is bad, but many of the "Top Dogs" and/or select individuals are in a controlling state behind a bigger picture by what was explained earlier. I mean aren't we all up in arms about why the hell would the government try and ban this? They don't even have ONE legitamate reason why they should be banned when compared to their cousin, cigarettes.

This is what I believe to be true about our current government. I'm not saying you should believe it too, I'm just expressing my thoughts and opinions.

Edited by SickDripzz

FYI... According to the Electronic Cigarette Association yesterday, the NY State bill has been recommended for review by their Health committee. Here is a list of those committee members -- please write/call!

farley@senate.state.ny.us

fuschill@senate.state.ny.us

hannon@senate.state.ny.us

johnson@senate.state.ny.us

jdklein@senate.state.ny.us

kruger@senate.state.ny.us

larkin@senate.state.ny.us

little@senate.state.ny.us

montgome@senate.state.ny.us

saland@senate.state.ny.us

sampson@senate.state.ny.us

scousins@senate.state.ny.us

athompso@senate.state.ny.us

valesky@senate.state.ny.us

winner@senate.state.ny.us

cyoung@senate.state.ny.us

I just checked the New Jersey Cigarette Tax as of July 1 2009 its at $2.75/pack and at average AFTER "Sales Tax" a pack of Marlboro is over $7. IDK maybe like $7.65, cant remember.

I don't know how that breaks down but NJ is losing $2.75 plus 7% total price, and then Big Tobacco is losing over $3/pack per day, per smoker on average.

Multiply that by 1000,s per day is big money. I can see Gov & Big Tobacco trying to stop E-cigs.

I guess its like "Personal Renewable Energy" if we all had our own wind turbines, who would need the power companies.

Probably should have left that last part out :unsure:

After reading through the bill http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0851-0900/sb_882_bill_20100114_introduced.html it appears to ammend the "Stop Tobacco Access to Kids Enforcement Act" to include electronic cigarettes. I'm sure most of us can agree with prohibiting the sales of e-cigs to minors. But we need to watch it, as sometimes extra language gets put in along the way.

SB 882: ....This bill would authorize action to halt the sale, distribution,or offering for sale of electronic cigarettes that have not been

approved or cleared by the federal Food and Drug Administration. By changing the definition of an existing crime, this bill would impose

a state-mandated local program.