Extreme Newbie.. Needs Simple Help...

Hello, thank you for viewing my post.. I have been smoking cigarettes for only about a year and a half as I am only going on 20 (about a half to a pack to a pack a day on the stronger side -Newport's,Marlboro's).. I am looking to getting into vaping, wether it be recrational or eventually aid me into quitting.. I am pretty dead-set on getting the VP-PT (VP Usb Passthrough or Pass Thru) I beleive it's called.. I am basically wondering what else I need to buy besides the unit itself and juice.. I think I need atomizers.. but I have NO idea which ones to get etc.. If someone could please help me in my buying process as to what I need to get Vaping that would be awesome.. (Specific on the atty's for the VP-PT if possible.. THX!) Also I don't know where to drop the juice! Although that could wait til' I actually get the unit.. LOL..

Thanks SO much for helping this ''CLUELESS NEWBIE'' Hopefully I will get some replies..

Thanks again!!!!! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum. Glad you could join us. The p/t comes with an 801 atty and one empty cart I believe. You will also be able to choose between either a 801 to 510 adapter or an 801 to 901 adapter. so you can decide which one you want. Most people go for the 510. It gives a great deal of vapor. If you go to the Vaprlife website you can download a user manual that will explain all about the unit and how to use it. I would reccomend you try the 801 and get a 510 adapter and one 510 atty to try and see which one you like best before you go and get too many attys. Hope this helps you out.

Good luck and happy vaping.

Welcome to Vapor Talk. I agree with snubber. Don't go with the 901 adapter as most people aren't that thrilled with the 901 atty. I am a big fan of the 510 atty, but on the VP/PT, I like the 801 (or 302, which is the same thing) atty on it a lot better. Since the adapter comes with the unit, get the 510 and try that atty. You'll probably want a portable unit to take places with you and the 510 is great for that, so you'll have a start on that, too.

Good luck and keep us updated. Ask any questions you think of. Someone will answer.

Welcome! You've gotten great advice already. Definately pick up a couple of extra atty's. I too prefer the 302 (801) on the VP/PT at 5 volts, but prefer the 510 on my portable battery operated units.

Hello, thank you for viewing my post.. I have been smoking cigarettes for only about a year and a half as I am only going on 20 (about a half to a pack to a pack a day on the stronger side -Newport's,Marlboro's).. I am looking to getting into vaping, wether it be recrational or eventually aid me into quitting.. I am pretty dead-set on getting the VP-PT (VP Usb Passthrough or Pass Thru) I beleive it's called.. I am basically wondering what else I need to buy besides the unit itself and juice.. I think I need atomizers.. but I have NO idea which ones to get etc.. If someone could please help me in my buying process as to what I need to get Vaping that would be awesome.. (Specific on the atty's for the VP-PT if possible.. THX!) Also I don't know where to drop the juice! Although that could wait til' I actually get the unit.. LOL..

Thanks SO much for helping this ''CLUELESS NEWBIE'' Hopefully I will get some replies..

Can I just say after only a year and a half, I would give serious thought to just turning away. I have to give you props for looking at alternatives, and I am not dis-respecting your level of addiction. But I think you are in a position to be able to get a decent substitute like a 510 kit, pick it up to replace the ugly cigs and then work your way down to 0 mg and be done with this barely before you started. Respectfully, Joe. If not, we are here to help in any way we can.

Hi , my advice to you if your going to vape recreationally is to go zero nicotine . You will be surprised by how much you actually vape once you get started and you don't want to be nicotine doseing all day long .

I ffind I vape a lot just to see that my atty is working well .

• 2 months later...

Hi , my advice to you if your going to vape recreationally is to go zero nicotine . You will be surprised by how much you actually vape once you get started and you don't want to be nicotine doseing all day long .

I ffind I vape a lot just to see that my atty is working well .

This may sound stupid, but i have a question. Can you overuse your e-cig? I know that if it heats up, jsut put it down for a couple of minutes and its ok. But when i got my first e-cig, a Blu, i smoked off of it for a long time *cough* 5 hours *cough* STRAIGHT. Can this potentially harm your e-cig?

There are a lot of chain vapers out there. I use mine all day, its rarely far from my hand. Not letting the atty stay hot, extends the life of the atty.

The more you use your e-cig--the battery and atomizer life declines over time, other than that you can use it as much as you want. Just make sure you have extra batteries and atomizers--just in case.

Happy Vaping

I also use mine a lot and it's seldom very far from my hand. I don't use it like I did a cigarette, smoke one until it's gone then have another an hour or two later. Instead, I take 4 or 5 drags, put it down, pick it up a minutes later, etc. I probably do "chain vape" sometimes - if I'm upset, etc. One night I was watching a movie and realized I had been chain vaping without thinking about it. I don't believe I've ever harmed one. My first set of 510 batteries did finally wear out after 3 months, but I've been using the same eGo batteries now for almost 5 months and they are still working. Not holding a charge quite so long, but still excellent.

An e-cig is just like any other electronic/mechanical device. The more you use it, the quicker it's going to die. It's like putting 100,000 miles a year on a car vs 50,000 miles a year. Most of us have more than one device and alternate between them all day. For example, I have 3 sitting by my left hand right now. That allows your atty to cool down and rotates through your batteries. Most 510 kits come with 2 batteries so you can charge them both up and have 2 complete units.

Believe me, you become a "collector" pretty quickly! :thumbsup:

Since you've gotten such great advice already, I'm just going to disagree with some of it. That's my perogative, and I enjoy exercising it, as those I'm disagreeing with will agree. :) Let me say that I started with 801/302s and swore that's all anyone needed. But I kept hearing about 510s and finally, to get these people put in their proper places, I tried one.

Never looked at another 801 again.

I think a 510 atty is the best of all possible worlds. The barrel is tight enough to keep the vapor contained, so it's warmer - more like smoke - than that from an 801. Its vapor production is equal to an 801 easily and might in many cases exceed it. The jury is still out on that in my book I guess. The TH from a 510 far excels that from an 801 as far as I'm concerned, which is why I lean that direction -- even on my VP PT. Brian and nana might say they prefer 801s on their PTs, but don't listen to them if you're wise; I'm right on this one. :) I don't know how much you smoke but given the brands you mentioned (I'm assuming full flavor) I think you're gonna want to feel the vapor. You won't feel it much from an 801, even, in my opinion, on the PT.

You should realize that the VP PT puts out 5V of power; much more than a regular 510 or other standard ecig. So starting with that, you will want to ensure that your eventual battery unit is also a 5V device, or you'll be dissapointed. Trust me on this; after getting acclimated to 5V, nothing less will suffice.

You asked about dripping -- I can see you've been doing your homework! Here's the short story on getting juice to the atty coil. Most attys expect that you'll use a cartridge of some form to 'store' liquid to feed gradually to the atomiser. This works very satisfactorily for many people, but most of us direct drip. That's when you drip the liquid straight onto the atomiser, not using a cartridge or any other intervening method for storing liquid.

Direct dripping has the advantage of providing a consistent amout of liquid to the atty, along with consistent flavor. The downside is constantly dripping. But that's really no biggie. You will hear about 'drip tips' which I highly recommend. These are simply a mouthpiece with a big enough hole to drip liquid straight through and onto the atty. Get a few to keep around, you'll be glad you did.

One thing I won't disagree with is FTJoe's suggestion to consider just quitting smoking. Perhaps you're like me and won't be able to quit very simply, in which case you have made a wise decision to give vaping a try. I'm not sure I would recommend 0 nic unless you plan to smoke in between vaping, as you will probably feel a lack of nicotine without it. But you are in a good position to begin go cut back on the nic quickly, and we all would recommend that.

Good luck with your vaping adventure, and let us know any questions you have. You have made a wise choice and found the best possible forum to ask your questions. There's no other place like VT.

-------

Hey, great to hear from you again Dr J! :thumbsup:

You know Dave, the odd thing is that I now use the 510 on my SB/PT at 6V. I haven't been using my VP/PT much lately, so maybe the 510 is the way to go. I'll have to give the 510 another go on it one of these days. However, way back when, I know I liked the 302 on it better than the 510.

Hey there newbie with the long name and WELCOME! Let me tell you, I have tried ALL the "NORMAL" ways to quit after 25 yrs of a pack a day! Cold Turkey, weaning myself, the patch, the gum, the shot....nothing worked for me! UNTIL about a month and a half ago I learned about the E-cig from one of my flying buddies! He let me try it and I ordered one a few days later. From the day I got mine in the mail and charged the batteries, I have not TOUCHED a cigarette! AFTER 20 years of trying, I KNEW I had found THE way to get off tobacco!! I'm at 28 days now and have not even wanted, what I know now to be, a nasty stinkin cigarette! The morning after I quit, I got in my truck to head to work, and OMG did it stink! When you smoke it kills almost all your sense of smell...AND taste! I am smelling things now that I have not smelled in YEARS! Like rolling your window down while driving and smelling honeysuckle along the road!

These VT people will not steer you wrong! Take their advice and get ready to enjoy a smoke free life! On top of that, Vaping has a jillion flavors to choose from! LOL Happy Vaping!!!

You know Dave, the odd thing is that I now use the 510 on my SB/PT at 6V. I haven't been using my VP/PT much lately, so maybe the 510 is the way to go. I'll have to give the 510 another go on it one of these days. However, way back when, I know I liked the 302 on it better than the 510.

Way to go Brian! And I have it on good authority that nana also has seen the light with regard to her 510s on the PT. You guys are rockin it on!

For me--It's all about the 510 atty's. I have tried a few others, and always go back to my 510. It's managed to keep me smoke free for over a year now--if it aint broke, don't fix it !!!!

VP-PT--510 atty = perfection. (Just my opinion)

Way to go Brian! And I have it on good authority that nana also has seen the light with regard to her 510s on the PT. You guys are rockin it on!

:fish:

Very funny, Dave.

Yes, I am now using the 510 on the VP/PT and I am loving it. Does that mean we have to admit that Dave was right? LOL

Very funny, Dave.

Yes, I am now using the 510 on the VP/PT and I am loving it. Does that mean we have to admit that Dave was right? LOL

As they say, even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while. :whistle:

Hi USBpassthroughVP Welcome! thumbsup.gif

I agree with FTPJoe about going to "0" nic. I started with a Joye 510 kit, as many from this forum recommended to start with. It was a great choice. I set a plan to start with the Joye 510 and work my way down to "0" nic like FTPJoe and others here. I did it just using the Joye 510 kit and a Joye 510 PT so I would not waste my 510 batteries at home, and went to "0" Nic in a very short time. Recently, I did get a VP-PT, because I wanted to have something I knew would NOT break on me (like the Chinese made PT's did), and something I would never have to spend money replacing. I saw Chris and Shawn's Video where they ran over this device with his car, and that sold me for sure besides made me laugh so hard. rolleyes.gif

Also I became very upset at finding out that N.Y. was in the process of banning these devices and I realized I may not have much time to get a few things besides trying to stand up for the cause. I have to say, everyone here had the best advice and help that besides this device, made it all seem so effortless.

The only other thing I can add is to avoid the one mistake I made. I had started with 1 bottle of ejuice that had too high content of nicotine in it. I thought because I had been a heavy smoker that was what I would probably need. Wrong! It made me ill. It was ok once I got some lower nic ejuice and worked my way down to "0" from there.

The VP-PT is really nice, but if you still use nicotine ejuice and keep vaping on this device, especially for someone fairly new, it may be too much because it is 5 volt and can really produce some vapor and maybe too much Nic drawing in. With the VP-PT all you need is an atomizer, maybe an extra atomizer just in case your first one dies, I would suggest the Joye 510 atomizer, some carts, maybe some extra filter material to use in your carts or to change for later, and try a few different ejuices. I can't even use my VP-PT all the time, it is sometimes just too much even with just flavors or menthol. Good to have something else like the Joye 510 Manual to switch to in between and have something you can take with you.

Hi All! wave.gif OK everyone, now I finally see the light too, why everyone keeps buying different devices and spending so much on these things. I admit I could not understand it before. Each one is a different experience, and it is becoming more like a hobby. The flavors are becoming more like a pacifier with the hobby of collecting different devices. We now have our own little culture around it too. LOL!

Edited by arcangel742

Hey Joe, good to hear your advice and see you around. Really Good Advice too!

What is with the cat, it looks pretty freaky? Where did the cute funny ones go?rolleyes.gif LOL!

Can I just say after only a year and a half, I would give serious thought to just turning away. I have to give you props for looking at alternatives, and I am not dis-respecting your level of addiction. But I think you are in a position to be able to get a decent substitute like a 510 kit, pick it up to replace the ugly cigs and then work your way down to 0 mg and be done with this barely before you started. Respectfully, Joe. If not, we are here to help in any way we can.

Very funny, Dave.

You don't have to admit anything nana; the cat's out of the bag already. :)

Shhhhhh--don't tell dave anything.....

What, you mean I might rub it in? Moi?! :D

Okay you guys, back on topic! Before Jeff gets out the fish too. Archangel, I wish you'd explain to my wife that many devices and attys and flavors is important to getting the full experience and satisfaction from vaping! She doesn't yet understand this, which has a negative impact on my collecting buying habits. :)

Passthrough, you've gotten a lot of good advice, I'm curious how you're feeling about now. Is your head reeling? Mine might be. I think Archangel's advice to try different strengths in your first order is a good idea. If you're rich, you could try different strengths of the same flavor to really see how nic affects liquid. That's something I haven't yet done, but planning to now that I'm DIY almost full time. There are so many experiments to try! Good luck and vape on.

I just can't let this one go even in someone else's thread, and the stupid forum won't let me use three quotes. There must be a reason for that ... but naturally there's a way around every rule. shiftyninja.gif

As they say, even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while. :whistle:

Pffft! Where'd you hear that bit of folksy logic? Meester, I gotcher "blind squirrel" right heah... :fish:

Dave, the spending buying habits with spouse, that is probably why I would be terrified to marry again after what my X spouse put me through. wallbash.gif LOL!

Don't feel bad, even without one, I was so broke when I started to look into this ecig device on this same forum. I had lost 2 jobs, and was on this forum trying to learn what to buy on credit while I was trying to go cold turkey. I had about a week of severe struggling, when new neighbors started blasting music 24/7 and pushed me over the edge.

I then decided I could NOT afford to go to the local store here in N.Y. anymore, not even for 1 more pack of analogs. The prices here are just too outrageous. So I went to the Indian Reservation.

On the way back, just as I said to my son, "This will probably be the last time we go to the Indian Reservation", (I really believed because of all you good people on this forum that this electronic cigarette device was going to work), I suddenly hear a siren and flashing lights. Oh, great, like things were not bad enough! blush.gif

I ended up with three tickets related to my very old jalopy that I keep trying to hold together just to have some transportation and trying to keep above water. From there, I was terrified what was going to happen when I showed up in Court and did not have any money for tickets. To make matters even worse, my son who is multiply-handicapped was given a ticket. They said he did not have a seat belt on, but he did. My son cannot defend himself in a Court of Law, and not good with answering questions, especially when stressed out, and Courts are a Big One for Stress. Now I am thinking they are going to put me in jail because I cannot pay the tickets, and my poor son will not be able to care for himself. I will never forget how this journey to try to quit analogs started for me, given this story. I had ordered my Joye 510 kit, but I had not received it yet.

I knew when I got my kit and my one bottle of ejuice that I could cut the "Nic" down with VG if need be. Problem was, after I did get my ecig kit, the only place I could get VG without waiting for shipping or spending more money I did not have was to go to Wal-Mart. I could not get there, because the inspection sticker on my car was expired, thus explains one of the tickets I had received.

A really good Sumerian on this forum sent me some ejuice after I began to get ill from the high "Nic", or I may have given up at that point. I had a carton of analogs from the Reservation, and I still do. I could have easily gone back to analogs when I got ill. But instead, because of the help I received on this forum, I have not had a single analog since I got my Joye 510 kit and started without any analogs the following day.

As for what happened about the tickets and the Court, I spend much time praying. I also wrote a letter to the Judge about my son. I did not want to have to embarrass him in front of other people in Court by revealing all handicaps in public as to why he cannot answer for himself. I prayed that somehow I would only have to pay $50, and they would not stress out my son. My prayers were answered exactly as I asked. The Judge even winked at my son, and he smiled with such relief as we left.

As for the good Sumerian, who helped me from this forum, I was told to "pay it forward". I did just that finally on the 1st of this month. Besides showing this device to anyone I can, there is a girl who lives in the lower apartment from us who smokes. She finally revealed to me after I showed and let her try my ecig months ago that she too could not afford to buy one. Another single Mom struggling. I gave her everything I started with and then some once I got the VP-PT, and a few other things I long waited to get.

USBpassthroughVP, I know if I can do it with what I went through, I know you too will do really well. There really is so much to learn, and the people here are so knowledgeable and helpful. I know that you are in good hands here if you need any help or any support, don't be afraid to ask any of us. I believe this is important. And the fact you are already here asking questions shows you're already on your way to being free from analogs.

I almost forgot, you asked about where to put the drops. Dripping was already mentioned, but here is a video that shows how to top off your cart, instead of dripping. Also Dave is right, it is hard to buy every ejuice in every strength. You can always cut down the "Nic" strength with VG or PG. You can get VG at Wal-Mart. I would not recommend buying the highest "Nic" level of ejuice to start with. If you can afford it, it is also good to try some other flavors of ejuice. You can even mix a drop or two with whatever flavor you have picked to try to match whatever type of analog cigarette you have been used to in your cartridges. Sorry, I guess I am jumping the gun. You can buy pre-filled cartridges with ejuice, but I think most don't do this all the time because it is costly, so they may buy bottles of ejuice to either fill or top off their cartridges with. So make sure to buy yourself some extra cartridges, called "carts" if you go this route. There are some really excellent Videos on YouTube to show just about anything you may want to see how to do. Try this one about topping off your cartridge with a bottle of ejuice:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=q9PVrsCC5-0

Only difference, the Joye 510 does not have an inner cart like in this Video, but that just makes it easier.

Sorry guys for the long story, Hope this will encourage others that anything is possible, and Dave brought up the buying collecting habits. I also wanted him and his spouse to know without God and this forum, I would not be here doing so well! I thank God, this forum, and also a good friend and prayer partner who prayed with me during this struggle and recently (last month) passed away very suddenly. I always saw miracles happen whenever we agreed in prayer together for all we knew and all we could of this world, my heart is so sad now to know the world lost a real angel, my friend Marlene for whom I will try to carry on her same Love, Compassion and Prayers for others as well as her Great Faith!

USBpassthroughVP, you are in good hands here on this forum. I will be praying for you also! animier.gif