Gettin the hang of this

Walt

11 hours ago, Walt said:

That's possible but I think the impact on throat hit per PG comes down to the overall mix percentage of PG/VG.  We've got a chemist or the equivalent on board here.  Maybe he'll chime in.  Some flavors seem to promote greater throat hit too.  I only say this because I had one mix with a lot of Strawberry Ripe FA in it and that was like vaping Tobasco sauce at 6mg of nic.  Other blends didn't exhibit that at the same percentage. 

Throat hit is a product of PG, as well as some flavorings and high % Nicotine, too.  PG is the primary though.

If your mixes are 50/50 PG/VG or higher VG content, get your Nicotine mixed in VG.  If you like thinner juices with more throat-hit... higher PG mixes, then get your Nicotine in PG or 50/50 mix.

If you're mixing a juice that is 20% flavoring, and you use Nicotine mixed in pure PG, then you'll NEVER get your mixture higher than 30/70 PG/VG mix with 10mg Nicotine strength... it just won't be possible because the flavorings and Nicotine are PG based.  If you go higher than 10mg Nicotine strength (using a 100mg/ml PG base), you'll lessen the VG % because you'll use more PG-based Nicotine.  The MAX VG % you'll get (using zero Nicotine) is 80%. 

NOW... here's a kicker... All of the above is assuming you're using 100mg/ml (10%) Nicotine base.  If you're using a weaker base, then you'll require more of the Nicotine base to reach your desired level of Nicotine strength.  For example, 20% flavoring, and using a 6% Nicotine base (60mg/ml) in PG... your max VG % would be 63%.  Make sense?  Using a 36mg/ml stength Nicotine base... your max VG % would be 52.5% (with the final juice being only 10mg strength).

If you're happy with 50/50 mixes, or even 40/60 mixes (max 20mg/ml Nicotine strength, using 10% Nicotine base), then you can use PG-based Nicotine, otherwise, obtain VG based Nicotine.

Another thing to consider is the shelf-life... PG has a shelf-life of something like 10 years (although DOW chemicals says only 2 years, but they are in the business of SELLING IT)... VG has a shelf-life of about 5 years.  Nicotine has a shelf-life of 2-years... all of these are non-refrigerated, dark containers.  If you freeze or at least refrigerate your PG/VG/Nicotine, they will last MUCH longer.

10% Nicotine in PG base will have a shelf-life of between 6 and 8 years.  The same in VG will last 3-4 years (again, non-refrigerated).

So, if you want to buy Nicotine in bulk... PG will last longer than VG base, but if you freeze them in air-tight dark-colored containers, which are full to the rim (zero air in the bottle)... they will both last pretty much forever.

Edited by Earthling789

21 hours ago, donna68ca said:

Walt, so is it better to buy nicotine as 100% pg or vg?

I always get 100mg nicotine in a 100% VG base, but everyone has their own preferences. Whether you prefer a high VG content or a high PG content will determine which you should get.

Well of course it comes down to the primary mixing mostly, but my premix with nic is VG,  more or less the only thing that has PG in it all is the flavors I choose to mix in.  So most of my mixes are 80/20 at lowest. 

That is how I think I will be starting out. With the pre mixed at a 80 vg/20 pg 6 mg for my baby beast coils since it needs thicker juice. But where I want to order, it says the juices are concentrated and pg, which I understand. But it says water soluble?????

3 hours ago, donna68ca said:

That is how I think I will be starting out. With the pre mixed at a 80 vg/20 pg 6 mg for my baby beast coils since it needs thicker juice. But where I want to order, it says the juices are concentrated and pg, which I understand. But it says water soluble?????

VG and PG are water soluble, some people use distilled water to thin juice.