Frank

Hi vapors. Im a none smoker who works with an annoying severely addicted vapor. What is the by products of this smoke. Surely its chemical and nicotine. I have no problem with him doing it outside but surely not in a car or confined space. When i see people who cant let go of their devices when driving i cant understand how they have let themselfs get so addicted. Discuss.

By product is WATER VAPOR! The only things in e juice are: Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerine (BOTH found in foods and beverages as well as some liquid medications), flavorings (widely used in foods, candies, cakes, beverages and the like) and nicotine IF the vaper wants it in there. Period. THERE ARE NO CHEMICALS as with cigarettes.

As for calling it an "addiction", that's pretty strong language. Most vapers used vaping to ESCAPE THE ADDICTION of cigarettes and the 3000+ chemicals known to be in them. Please do not confuse the two. 

A habit, now yes, it is a habit. A cleaner smelling, better tasting habit than cigarettes.

Just my 2 cents.

vaper:  a person who vapes
vapor:  the atomized liquid that has the appearance of "smoke" but next to none of smoke's properties.
smoke:  practically non-existent in vapor

read this.  It is a pretty good and easy to read description of vapor and vaping:

3 minutes ago, VapeMama said:

By product is WATER VAPOR! The only things in e juice are: Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerine (BOTH found in foods and beverages as well as some liquid medications), flavorings (widely used in foods, candies, cakes, beverages and the like) and nicotine IF the vaper wants it in there. Period. THERE ARE NO CHEMICALS as with cigarettes.

As for calling it an "addiction", that's pretty strong language. Most vapers used vaping to ESCAPE THE ADDICTION of cigarettes and the 3000+ chemicals known to be in them. Please do not confuse the two. 

A habit, now yes, it is a habit. A cleaner smelling, better tasting habit than cigarettes.

Just my 2 cents.

Well,. It's not true that there are NO CHEMICALS.  But it is true that there are many chemicals not found in vapor that are abundant in cigarette smoke.  There are some chemicals found in vapor that are also found in cigarette smoke but they are GREATLY reduced by a factor as much as 1/1400.  

By the way - "chemicals" is a word often tossed around as if it's inherently negative and automatically harmful and evil.  

"A chemical substance is a form of matter that has constant chemical composition and characteristic properties. It cannot be separated into components by physical separation methods, i.e., without breaking chemical bonds. Chemical substances can be chemical elements, chemical compounds, ions or alloys."

Chemicals are a fact of the physical universe.  The sweetest strawberry grown in a pristine organic field harvested by virgin cherubs wearing hypoallergenic gloves has chemicals, lol. 

Let's say... for the sake of argument... that Frank is not a troll. There are some good replies and instruction of vaping, vapers, and vapor already. @Frank mcquade does this info help answer your question?

All too often, the vapor released looks like smoke but is more like the mist that comes out of a humidifier. I agree that your coworker should, at the very least, be courteous enough to open the window of a closed in vehicle while you're in the car with him.

Have you tried asking him to not vape in the car or open the window? If so, what does he say?

11 minutes ago, Frank mcquade said:

What happens to the highly addictive nicotine you breath out. It cant just dissapear. I dont believe we absorb 100%?

I think there is truth in that.  I have never seen a study on the percentage of nicotine absorbed but I would guess it's fairly high but not 100% or anything close to that.  

In most cases, users that produce a lot of clouds are already using eliquids greatly reduced in nicotine by as much as 90% so you have that to consider.  

I understand your complaint and feel this falls under etiquette.  I personally believe that 2nd hand vapor is harmless but I think it's rude to subject a non smoker to vapor without their permission as a matter of etiquette. Especially in confined spaces.  You have the right to protest and encourage you to do so but I think there is little personal risk to you in general.  

Edited by Bebop

11 minutes ago, Frank mcquade said:

Never thought i could be a troll. My concern is when you work next to someone allday and see how addicted they are to the device that the last thing on their mind is etiquette where to use it. As long as he gets his hit.

Your concern is justified, but have you tried talking to him about it without being accusatory or using inflaming language? To start a discussion?

Just curious. What are you concerned about? His addiction to the device? If so, why?

Quoting Bebop: "Well,. It's not true that there are NO CHEMICALS.  But it is true that there are many chemicals not found in vapor that are abundant in cigarette smoke.  There are some chemicals found in vapor that are also found in cigarette smoke but they are GREATLY reduced by a factor as much as 1/1400."   I'm sorry, I stand corrected.   

44 minutes ago, VapeMama said:

I'm sorry, I stand corrected.   

@VapeMama  I wasn't so much chastising you as just trying to keep it real.  As vapers we get excited about the many many pluses of vaping over smoking and the benefits so far outweigh the negatives that we tend to think of this as absolutely harmless but the truth is we can't say that in absolute terms as much as we want to.

For all practical purposes I believe it is relatively harmless.  In my opinion, it's probably worse just breathing the air in a major metropolitan area than it is to vape. And, we know how destructive smoking is, to ourselves and those around us.  Vaping addresses the physical aspects and consequences of smoking and reduces it to a nearly harmless level.  It doesn't address the addiction/habit and etiquette of the action unless the wise vaper so chooses himself. That's just a polite way of saying vaping doesn't turn a jerk in to a saint, lol. 

9 hours ago, Frank mcquade said:

What happens to the highly addictive nicotine you breath out. It cant just dissapear. I dont believe we absorb 100%?

There have been studies conducted (and I don't have the links handy, but Google can find them)... one in particular was performed at the University of Kentucky...  Nicotine is absorbed rapidly into skin, and even faster into the soft tissue of your mouth, tongue, and lungs.  The hotter the vapor and the longer you hold it before exhaling (along with how deep you draw the vapor into your lungs) will factor how much you retain, and how much you exhale.  Just remember, you are still absorbing it until it leaves your lips or nose.  That being said, the best estimates (low and high) from the University study showed 70% absorption for mouth-only drag and quick exhale.  Full lung-hits with a few seconds of holding it... resulted in 98%+ absorption.

NOW... 2% upon exhale... distance of several feet to another person, air-currents, blah, blah, blah... you'd get more nicotine from eating a potato, tomato or eggplant than from second-hand vapor!  Yes, Nicotine exists in EVERY fruit/vegetable in nature... it is a natural defense against insects.

I agree he should be more considerate of others, but rest-assured you WILL NOT get cancer, COPD, asthma... or anything else from breathing second-hand vapor... and you WILL NOT become a nicotine addict from breathing second-hand vapor either :)