Wide bore vs wide mouth drip tips

I started this thread because I didn't want to highjack Christopher's "What are you vaping" thread anymore than had already been done.

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking, but to me there is a difference between "wide bore" and "wide mouth" when it comes to drip tips.  People tend to use the term "wide bore" to describe any drip tip that is wider than than a standard 510 base.  To me, "wide bore" means anything with an inside diameter that is wider than the inside diameter of a standard 510 drip tip.  Yes, some "510" drip tip bases have a slightly wider bore than others, but where I see most people using the term "wide bore" is when they describe the mouth end of the tip.

The following pics are of two of my "wide bore" drip tips.  The tip on the top is a SS tip from a Subtank Mmini, the tip on the bottom is a delrin tip from a TFV8 Baby Beast.

0917161048.jpg

This first pic shows the tips from the top, or mouth end.  As you can see, the business end does indeed have a wider bore than something like a KPT tip or a Lemo tip.

0917161048a.jpg

This second pic shows both tips from the "510" end that actually connects to the tank or RDA.  As you can see, the bore is a lot smaller than the mouth end.  This ultimately changes how a tip performs.  Yes, the delrin tip does have a slightly larger bore than the SS tip in this particular comparison, but that isn't always the case.  For the record, the ID measurements of the 510 ends and the mouth ends of each tip are as follows:

SS tip 510 ID: 4.5mm; mouth ID: 7.9mm

Delrin 510 ID: 5.7mm; mouth ID: 9.5mm

So yes, in this case the delrin tip does have a slightly wider bore at the connector end and the wider bore is definitely going to have an effect on vape performance.  In both cases, though, I consider these "wide mouth" vs "wide bore, because the full bore of the tips is not consistent all the way through.

Now, by comparison, the following is a picture of the delrin drip tip from my TM RDA:

0917161058.jpg

This is what I consider to be a true "wide bore" vs "wide mouth" drip tip.  As you can see, the bore is wide and consistent all the way through.  For the record, this inside diameter is approximately 12mm.  That is a HUGE difference compared to the other "510" drip tips.  This is primarily for airflow and thus bigger clouds.  But you can still get a ton of flavor through these as well.  It's all in how you build your coils when it comes to something like that.

Obviously these are only my opinions, but I think I make a pretty good argument for why we should differentiate between them.  Wide mouth does not necessarily mean you are going to have more airflow when it comes to a 510 drip tip, because the flow of vapor is still ultimately going to depend on the bore of the actual 510 portion of the drip tip.

2 hours ago, FXRich said:

I agree completely, the hole through the base determines the airflow. The larger the hole in the base the more airflow you will get.

Common sense   Bigger center hole more air flow   The wider  top section means nothing for air flow

4 hours ago, cany said:

Common sense   Bigger center hole more air flow   The wider  top section means nothing for air flow

I agree with you, @FXRich, and @Adversarious1.  The main advantage/disadvantage to a "Wide Mouth" drip tip is the way it feels in your mouth. ( @Jeffb, I know I left myself wide open with that statement.)  I am curious to know if the narrow opening in the 510 connection to the wider opening cause a venturi, or possibly turbulence that could enhance flavor.  I know I really prefer the "Wide Mouth" drip tips in the 11mm - 13mm range.

42 minutes ago, jasonculp said:

I agree with you, @FXRich, and @Adversarious1.  The main advantage/disadvantage to a "Wide Mouth" Drip Tip is the way it feels in your mouth. ( @Jeffb, I know I left myself wide open with that statement.)  I am curious to know if the narrow opening in the 510 connection to the wider opening cause a venturi, or possibly turbulence that could enhance flavor.  I know I really prefer the "Wide Mouth" drip tips in the 11mm - 13mm range.

Almost had an ASNR at "the way it feels in your mouth"...

15 minutes ago, Jeffb said:

ifuknow.jpg~c200

Officially had an ASNR at @Jeffb's response.

Perhaps "tunnel" would work.  That thing looks big enough to drive a Mack truck through! [emoji23]

Lol
Best wide open airflow I've found in a RDA...and with a dual 22ga Nichrome build in the Dark Horse it's a warm vape as opposed to being too hot..It's about the clouds bro, thick massive clouds, lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, smacksy said:

Best wide open airflow I've found in a RDA...and with a dual 22ga Nichrome build in the Dark Horse it's a warm vape as opposed to being too hot..It's about the clouds bro, thick massive clouds, lol

If I see a truck going down the road with bigger clouds coming out of the window than out of the exhaust, I'll know who it is.