Is it compulsory to stop vaping before undergoing any surgery?

berthaz

I have stopped smoking a year ago. Since then I’m using vapor and I feel it’s not as harmful as cigarettes. I have scheduled for breast lift surgery from a clinic in Vaughan. I had reduced my weight massively and because of it, my boobs are kind of saggy and they lost their shape. So I’m thinking of undergoing this procedure. Will there be any issue for undergoing the surgery after massive weight loss? Will the surgeon ask me to quit vaping for undergoing this procedure? I think it will be complicated for me to stop vaping for a while. Has anyone here had a similar situation? Did you quit vaping for a while then? I would really like to know the details. Please help!! 

Edited by Tam
Removed spammy link.

As far as I know, no.  I've only had one "invasive" surgery since I started vaping, and when I was asked, was told I could vape up until I got to the hospital.  But some docs have different preferences.  I know a friend of mine had a doc tell her not to smoke for x hours before any surgery (like, the time she had to be without food), and that was in a period where I was having a lot of surgeries, and I was never told not to smoke - not even before my sinus surgery.

PS:  Congrats on the weight loss!  You deserve a reward!

• 1 month later...

I've seen people vaping in the hospital hours after a lobectomy, and I've smelled tobacco smoke on people who were in the pre-op holding area. I think a big concern with it would be that you can't take anything by mouth 8 to 12 hours before surgery and not use Medical Equipments provided by doctors.This plus vaping could lead to dehydration. Plus nicotine causes blood vessel constriction so it could affect healing time due to decreased circulation.

Edited by Tam
Removed spammy link.

Okay, here goes some facts... (and it will depend on the type of lift surgery they are doing)...  If you are having implants, they make a tiny incision, work the implant into position and inflate it.  It is non-invasive, but you will be very sore and bruised.  If you are having any reduction (removal of skin), then it is a more invasive surgery and you should definitely avoid food, alcohol, and Nicotine 12-hours before surgery, and you should avoid any stimulant, alcohol, etc. for several days after surgery.

Fact 1:  (most) Doctors hate the idea of anyone smoking or vaping... so they want you to stop (period).  Many doctors also have deals with Big Pharma and get kick-backs from prescribing medications such as Chantix, Nicotine inhalers, or patches (even though you can buy them OTC).  So, if you are "self-medicating" with a vaporizer... you're taking money from their pockets!

Fact 2:  Hospitals have deals with Big Pharma to provide you with Nicotine patches (whether you want them or not) at the price of about $100/patch... billed to your insurance company.  This is the way hospitals "control" Nicotine inside their walls.  If Nicotine were a bad thing, they wouldn't hand them out like candy to all patients who use Nicotine... yeah, think about that one for a while....

Fact 3:  Nicotine is a stimulant which raises your heart-rate... not a good thing right before invasive surgery

Fact 4:  Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor which increases blood pressure (slightly)... not a good thing right before invasive surgery

It won't kill you to go without Nicotine for a day or two... especially if you are having an invasive procedure, you won't even want food/water for a day or two.  If you are having a standard "lift", you'll be home and doing your daily routine after a few hours, and you should be perfectly safe to continue vaping a few hours after surgery.  It won't kill you, nor will it have any adverse affects to the implants, incision, etc.

As @Tam said, however, speak truthfully with your doctor before the procedure to know how it will affect you, and what you have to do to heal properly.  But, take his advice on all the evils of vaping with a cautious and skeptical ear.