Not just coughing...Choking! HELP!

Brandi513

So, I am a pack a day smoker.  I just bought an e-cig today.  It's a stick and not the kind with the big cartridge.  I'm sure there are really fancy names but I'm completely clueless.  Anyway, I tried 2 different juices in the store prior to buying.  The first was fine.  When I tried the second I took an even smaller drag and literally thought I was going to die.  Inhaling was fine but as soon as I started to exhale I choked.  It felt like my lungs closed or something and I couldn't exhale.  It felt as though I were choking on a liquid.  It only lasted like 3 seconds but I was terrified.  I went ahead and bought the e-cig anyway.  I tried again when I got home and the same thing happened.  The first few hits were fine and then all of a sudden I tried to exhale and totally choked.  I couldn't even cough because I couldn't exhale.  I really don't want to give up but that is some scary stuff!!  Is this normal for beginners?

No, this is not normal -- even for beginners. We need a little more information from you so we can troubleshoot your problem.

What kind of "stick" did you buy? Is it one that looks like a cigarette or a pen-style? Or is it a big, fat round cylinder?

Can you post a picture of your set up? That might help.

When you say you choke on the vapor, what flavor is it? Do you know how much nicotine is in your juice? The PG/VG ratio?

Next time, try pulling the vapor into your mouth first. Wait just a split second before inhaling the vapor and see if that helps.

If you can give some more information, that would help a lot for us to figure out what's going on. The person at the store that sold you your set up should've helped you until you were good to go, not let you out of the store with this problem. Grrrr

2 hours ago, Brandi513 said:

So, I am a pack a day smoker.  I just bought an e-cig today.  It's a stick and not the kind with the big cartridge.  I'm sure there are really fancy names but I'm completely clueless.  Anyway, I tried 2 different juices in the store prior to buying.  The first was fine.  When I tried the second I took an even smaller drag and literally thought I was going to die.  Inhaling was fine but as soon as I started to exhale I choked.  It felt like my lungs closed or something and I couldn't exhale.  It felt as though I were choking on a liquid.  It only lasted like 3 seconds but I was terrified.  I went ahead and bought the e-cig anyway.  I tried again when I got home and the same thing happened.  The first few hits were fine and then all of a sudden I tried to exhale and totally choked.  I couldn't even cough because I couldn't exhale.  I really don't want to give up but that is some scary stuff!!  Is this normal for beginners?

There are two "bases" that eliquids are offered in. PG and VG. (Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerin). The most common mixes are 80/20 (PG VG) and 80/20 (VG PG), the opposite. Generally speaking PG is hard and provides a deep, heavy throat hit. Some people actually prefer this while others find it uncomfortable. VG on the other hand provides a smooth, almost water like vapor. Then of course there is the happy medium 50/50. 

My guess is, the second liquid was simply a high PG liquid made for those looking for a hard throat hit. (Think people who smoke cigarettes without filters etc) Simply choose a liquid higher in VG and you'll likely have a much better experience. :)

Hi Brandi,

I went through that too and it was the nicotines level was too high. I smoked about a pack a day and they gave me a 12mg nic juice and I thought I was going to die. I went back to the store and got a 6mg and I've been fine ever since. I also switched from a ego type ecig to an istick pico and It's been perfect. You might want to try lowering your nicotine, and go with a higher vg level juice, (I use 70 vg/30pg) and worst case buy a decent mod and tank.

Congrats on switching. I quit analog cigs about 40 days ago and couldn't be happier.

Edna