Buying Vape Again

mwenmenm

Six years ago I came here and found what I needed to begin vaping. I bought a Joyetech ego kit and used it for a little over a year before I was off nicotine completely and no longer used it. After almost five years I have relapsed and want to vape again for harm reduction. 

So, I am back for advice again. I see that things have become much more complicated in the vaping world over the last 5 years. So far I have decided: 

I want a box mod (probably with TC but not certain) 

I do not want a built in battery 

I want to be able to put together my own atomizers

I am not a "cloud chaser" 

I don't plan to pull vapor all day long ( I roll about 10 - 12 Drum cigarette per day now)

I care more about durability than features (and aesthetics to some degree)

I don't need a mini but I don't want to carry a brick in my pocket either

I want to get mod, tank, battery, atomizer, some juice etc. (everything I need) for no more than $125 ish. 

I am thinking (but not set on) Innokin, Joyetech, Aspire or Sigelei. 

I know this is pretty vague but my head is spinning from trying to sort it all out (I am not much of a techie. I can understand it but can't remember it :)

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! 

Joy tech VTC mini and Kanger subtank  mini if you like to pull direct to lung.  If you want mouth to lung I'd go with the Aspire Triton 2.  

Thanks for the recommendations. My friend bought VTC mini but I wanted to out do him :) Ha! But than VTC keeps coming up for me. I will check out the Kanger. Yes, mouth to lung. (They should call regular smoking lung to mouth, HA) Thanks! 

Finding mouth to lung tanks is getting harder as more people are into the sub-ohm and cloud chasing these days. I really like the Aspire Triton 2 with a 1.8 ohm coil for a cooler vapor. Any particular reason you don't want a mod with built in battery?

Well, I guess I just want to change the battery if it goes bad. Also, I could keep a second charged. Maybe I am thinking too much of my FlightBox, always changing to a fresh battery after every good trench. Thank you for responding :)

You can change the battery if one goes bad but what about the whole mod? You'll definitely want a back up or five anyway.  :)  We're serious about strongly "recommending" many back ups. I've once had four fail before getting one that worked when I was away from home.

For non TC mods with built in battery I really love my Eleaf iStick 50W, it sports a 4400 mAh battery so you really don't need to recharge for 3 - 5 days depending on your vaping habits. For TC with a built in battery, the Coolfire 4 is a nice little mod. Both are pass throughs so you can charge and vape at the same time as well. 

So I should maybe buy a couple cheaper set-ups instead of one more expensive one? 

What about that Innokin "disruptor" with the proprietary battery? 

I really only have $125 to get up an running. 

Edited by mwenmenm

If it were me, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. I'd diversify with more less expensive options so I could get back ups instead of just one that could go out and leave me with no alternatives but that's just me. Proprietary batteries are fine if you have more money and can afford to buy more should that one go out. If you only have $125 to get up and running, you're going to need a mod, a couple extra batteries (if you're going with the external battery option), a quality charger, a tank or two, at least two 5-packs of coils unless you plan to build your own coils but that would be more money. Then, you're going to need some juice, at least two flavors to start.

Oh, one more thing to buy if you're getting the external batteries. Make sure to get a plastic battery case to put your extra battery in. Have you seen those news stories where the battery blows up in someone's pants pocket? That's because they put a battery in there with no case and loose change and car keys... all things just waiting to short out your batteries and start a fire. Safety first.  :)

Edited by Tam

I'm aware of the battery safety,  yes. I probably will make some coils at some point. But, you're advice is well taken and something I had considered. Now I am thinking that way again. Ah, it just does not get less complicated does it?! So, what would you do? 

Thank you so much for your advice. 

There are so many different options out there that only you can say what will work best. Vaping is so subjective and has gotten more so since you last vaped. It all depends on what you like. Let me give you an example of my vaping preferences.

I like no fuss, simplicity and ease of use. The Eleaf iStick 50W with no TC but a massive 4400 mAh internal battery is my go to. I love that I only have to charge it once every 4 - 5 days. For several years I was stuck on Cisco Hybrid HH.357 direct drip atomizers, but at $20 a pop, I began looking for a tank that gave me the superior flavor and performance. After trying many different tanks that all came up short, I stumbled across the Aspire Triton (the original version). It was what I was looking for... until the third refill when it no longer wanted to work despite whatever tricks I could conjure. Eventually the Triton 2 came out that fixed the problems of the original. I use a 1.8 ohm coil (kanthal build) for a cooler vape although there are many sub-ohm choices as well. For a very low price, you can also buy (separately), an RBA deck so you can build your own coil for this tank should you feel the need. For someone who vapes mouth to lung, the Triton 2 works very well for me.

The back ups and back ups of the back ups and the back ups of those... I'm embarrassed to say how many different mods (both external batteries and internal), tanks, coil building materials, etc. that I've amassed these past four years but my favorites are the iStick 50W and Triton 2. For a change of pace I've recently added the Coolfire IV with TC but I find I don't care for the warm vapor that the TC coil puts out (the Triton also has Ni (nickel) coils for TC).

So, that's what I would do. What are you looking for in a vape? Do you go for flavor or the flavor and cloud combined? Cool or warm vapor? Does it matter? You already said earlier you're a mouth to lung vaper so many of the sub-ohm tanks will probably not work well for you as those tend to go toward the direct lung style of vaping.

Clear as mud yet?  :D 

I like medium, can take hot or cold. I don't care about clouds, just the hit. Not even so picky about flavor. 

Ya know, I bought a Magic Flight Launch Box for dry herb vape mostly because it had a lifetime guarantee. Now I tried fancy ones too. Pax was great. But I went for that because it was simple. It is so basic that you just regulate it by squeezing the battery into it based on the vapor you getting out, regulate with your breath etc. Hold it too long you would get fire. But I am perfectly happy with it. Maybe I should think of juice vaping the same way and just go primitive. But, in any case, you have me thinking. Thanks so much. 

If you want "primitive" by today's vaping standards, get yourself a Vision Spinner battery (like the old eGo but with variable voltage) and a Kanger Pro Tank 3 mini. That's "old school" yet still works like a champ if you don't want anything fancy.  :) 

Hi mwenmenm

I really like my eleaf pico. I have the melo 3 tank that goes with it. It's small and has lots of settings for TC and others. It has changeable batteries also. I paid $37.00 for the kit on ebay from a usa seller and had it in 3 days. I like VapeWild.com eliquids they have oodles of options for flavorings and vg/pg and nicotine starting at $2.99 a 10 ml bottle. They have a great sample pack option. They even threw in 2 extra 10ml bottles (free) plus a no nic one to vape it forward.. I got a nitecore charger and batteries on Amazon for about $25.

I hope this helps.

Edna

Ok, I'm thinking the Eleaf Istick 50W with internal battery or the Innokin Disrupter with their own external lipo batteries. 

As, for tanks I am less sure. Triton 2 or ? I definitely want it be able to make my own coils, so that in a pinch I am not caught without or paying way too much at he local shop. But I also want it to come with coil(s) and maybe a coil kit. 

Edited by mwenmenm

Yes, you can buy premade coils for the Triton 2 or you can build your own, but to build your own, you'll need to buy the rebuildable coil deck which is separate from the main tank. The tank comes with a replaceable glass tank (the plastic is what is on it when you get it), and two coils.

Maybe you should check out the subtank mini, it comes with a RBA, and extra glass. Some people say its not good for mouth to lung hits, but everybody has a different point of view and different preferences. And the deck is easy to build on.

56 minutes ago, FXRich said:

Maybe you should check out the subtank mini, it comes with a RBA, and extra glass. Some people say its not good for mouth to lung hits, but everybody has a different point of view and different preferences. And the deck is easy to build on.

I agree with @FXRich  I have quiet a few good tanks and the SubTank Mini has to be one I keep going back to.  It is inexpensive and versatile.

Yeah, the Sub Tank Mini sounds like a good bet. Now I just have to decide between the Istick and Disruptor, leaning Disrupter, unless warned off. 

Sub Tank Mini and Disrupter, how does that combo sound? I am not missing anything wattage wise or anything? 

Anybody have any favorite internet distributor they would buy these from?

Favorite juices and sellers? 

I used to just buy them from this site but I don't remember what and it all looks different now anyways. 

Please tell me the e-juice situation is much less complicated than the mods and tanks. 

If you get a disrupter don't forget to get a extra battery. That way you can charge one while using the other, the battery has a USB port in it so you won't have to buy a charger. Other than that it sounds like a good combo.

The istick 50w has a 4400mAh battery, the disrupter has a 2000mAh battery. Do you need long life or not?