Interseting FDA Report

Compenstine

FDA Reveals First Wave of E-Cig, Tobacco Study

Results show little evidence of consistent electronic cigarette use

“We view the extension of the study as a positive (given the agency will take time to evaluate findings from the study and could potentially push back any incremental regulations),” Azer said.

Read more

http://www.cspnet.com/category-news/tobacco/articles/fda-reveals-first-wave-e-cig-tobacco-study

Sorry, long day and brain's fried so I only barely skimmed tonight. Still, from what I saw... I have one question: where do they find these people they used in the study?

The data suggested regular use of electronic cigarettes is still very low, with just 5.5% of adults and 3.1% of 12- to 17-year-olds having used e-cigs in the past month. Azer added that daily e-cig users make up a very small percentage of these 30-day e-cig users.

“In fact, among current adult e-cig users, more than 40% had only used an e-cig less than three times in the past 30 days,” she said. “We believe [this] points to the continued lack of consumer adoption of the products.”

Seriously? Ugh. I'll read this article more carefully later after I've had a good night's sleep. I hope there's some better research than what I just quoted above.  :)

Yeah, Tam. I agree.  Given how popular ecigs are, I see them quite frequently in my area.  Those numbers seem low. Honestly, I see more people using e-cigs these days than I see regular smokers.

its interesting that the whole tone of the article is kind of Ho-hum, no big deal like the FDA isn't even concerned because the market is so small.  I find this hard to believe - at least, in my area with half a dozen quality vape shops (and a bunch more that aren't so great) vaping is big business.   

I agree with the "ho-hum" attitude observation.  There's just too many vape shops around for vap'n to be so "unknown".  I travel the southeast quite a bit, and I can find a vape shop just about everywhere.  Drop by here http://www.vapingcc.com/event/vcct16/  this weekend and count noses to see how "uninterested" or "uneducated" the populace is.

The article did end with a somewhat positive comment, tho.

The biggest problem with these FDA studies is the fact they are using people that are cherry-picked from those that complete questionnaire forms that have horribly vague and limited questions, AND they typically only consider cig-a-likes as their study product, thus lumping all e-cig usage to (sub-par) cig-a-like results.

Typical questions from these questionnaires:

Have you ever tried an e-cig? (shows image of BLU or VUSE cig-a-like)
Are you a current or former smoker (smoking more than one cigarette per day)?
How often have you purchased these products?
Did you purchase a flavored product (cherry, blueberry, etc), menthol, or tobacco?
Did use of an e-cig product curb your desire to smoke?
Have you ever been in the presence of someone using an e-cig?
Does anyone in your family or friends use an e-cig?

Edited by Earthling789

12 hours ago, Earthling789 said:

The biggest problem with these FDA studies is the fact they are using people that are cherry-picked from those that complete questionnaire forms that have horribly vague and limited questions, AND they typically only consider cig-a-likes as their study product, thus lumping all e-cig usage to (sub-par) cig-a-like results.

Typical questions from these questionnaires:

Have you ever tried an e-cig? (shows image of BLU or VUSE cig-a-like)
Are you a current or former smoker (smoking more than one cigarette per day)?
How often have you purchased these products?
Did you purchase a flavored product (cherry, blueberry, etc), menthol, or tobacco?
Did use of an e-cig product curb your desire to smoke?
Have you ever been in the presence of someone using an e-cig?
Does anyone in your family or friends use an e-cig?

And another problem with studies like this is that they are typically run by people who have absolutely no real clue about vaping other than what they see at their local convenience stores or the cloud chuckers. One extreme or the other, which doesn't really do a good job of representing many of us who started vaping to stop smoking, and are now in it for the flavor and hobby.  :) 

31 minutes ago, Tam said:

And another problem with studies like this is that they are typically run by people who have absolutely no real clue about vaping other than what they see at their local convenience stores or the cloud chuckers. One extreme or the other, which doesn't really do a good job of representing many of us who started vaping to stop smoking, and are now in it for the flavor and hobby.  :) 

And the largest problem with these studies is that they are ran by groups that already know the results they want, and only hold the "studies" to collect the (skewed) data they wish to back up their claims.

I actually signed up for a "smoking study" at the University of Kentucky once (when I was still a smoker), and after I read the prospectus on the survey/study, I laughed out loud at the researchers...  Ran by the "Cancer Center", funded by RJ Reynolds, a grant from the FDA, and one of the big pharma companies (Pfizer or Merck).  The study was to research the impact of certain drugs on smokers... smh.... nothing at all to do with a "smoking study"... they only wanted lab rats that smoked to test drug interactions with nicotine or one of the other thousands of chemicals so they could put something on their warning labels about the dangers of smoking while taking XYZ drug.... Something they probably already knew but needed data to back them up.