"Harsh" liquid?

AASFLC

Hey guys, very new person to vape over here.

So I bought a iStick 30W (don't know tank name, picture provided) and I had 3 coils provided for me. The first one I used I think I burnt so I replaced it with another. After my first 30 Ml of juice, I bought new ones (I don't smoke anything with nicotine so I got 0 MG). But the thing is, my first juice, I was able to smoke up to 30W for atleast 5 seconds. Now with this new one, I can't even go over 15W without giving up after 3 seconds. It tastes harsh and hurts my throat. Could it be because it's 50/50? The liquid I just bought today looks very runny (unlike the other, which was like syrup). Should I buy 70/30 instead so I get more PG?

Snapchat-6248003614731984024.jpg

More PG in an e-liquid = more throat hit. You would want to go a higher VG (smoother vape). Different flavors require different heat temperatures. Start low, vape. If that doesn't do it for you, turn up the volts/watts on your iStick. Once you get a slight burnt taste or a harsh vape, turn it down a notch. That will be the sweet spot for that juice and coil. Also, the new coil you put in, do you know what the resistance is? If it came with the tank, many times a tank will come with one or two coils of different resistances. The new coil might be lower resistance which would explain why you're getting a harsher vape on high temperatures. Just a guess.

3 minutes ago, Tam said:

More PG in an e-liquid = more throat hit. You would want to go a higher VG (smoother vape). Different flavors require different heat temperatures. Start low, vape. If that doesn't do it for you, turn up the volts/watts on your iStick. Once you get a slight burnt taste or a harsh vape, turn it down a notch. That will be the sweet spot for that juice and coil. Also, the new coil you put in, do you know what the resistance is? If it came with the tank, many times a tank will come with one or two coils of different resistances. The new coil might be lower resistance which would explain why you're getting a harsher vape on high temperatures. Just a guess.

Can I add VG to my current liquid? And I'm not sure :( they were different coils.. this one has a new cotton so it was good. But on the console it says 2.7V, 13.0W, and 0.6 Ohm. Any help ? :$

Is your iStick on watts or volts? It will be one for the other, not both at the same time. You will be able to tell by the large number and then the w or v after it.

The 0.6 ohm coil is what we call "sub ohm" which is because it's lower than 1.0 ohms of resistance. These coils burn hotter, which could be partially responsible for your harsh vape. Yes, you can add plain VG to your juice but it will mute/dilute the flavor a bit. You might want to get the same flavor in a higher VG content and then mix the two. If you buy liquids for a sub-ohm tank/coil, I would recommend a 30 PG/70 VG mix. Any higher VG and your wick might not be able to absorb the juice fast enough and you will wind up with what we call a "dry hit". That's pretty unpleasant and could burn the cotton of your wick. Once the cotton burns, you'll never get the burnt taste out. That's when you'll want to empty the tank, wash it out, fill with new juice, replace coil and start again. With sub-ohm coils, you need to prime the coil before vaping or you'll burn the cotton. Priming means to either put a little juice onto the wick through the holes on the side and let sit for several minutes so the cotton has a chance to soak up the juice and get good and wet first.

1 hour ago, Tam said:

Is your iStick on watts or volts? It will be one for the other, not both at the same time. You will be able to tell by the large number and then the w or v after it.

The 0.6 ohm coil is what we call "sub ohm" which is because it's lower than 1.0 ohms of resistance. These coils burn hotter, which could be partially responsible for your harsh vape. Yes, you can add plain VG to your juice but it will mute/dilute the flavor a bit. You might want to get the same flavor in a higher VG content and then mix the two. If you buy liquids for a sub-ohm tank/coil, I would recommend a 30 PG/70 VG mix. Any higher VG and your wick might not be able to absorb the juice fast enough and you will wind up with what we call a "dry hit". That's pretty unpleasant and could burn the cotton of your wick. Once the cotton burns, you'll never get the burnt taste out. That's when you'll want to empty the tank, wash it out, fill with new juice, replace coil and start again. With sub-ohm coils, you need to prime the coil before vaping or you'll burn the cotton. Priming means to either put a little juice onto the wick through the holes on the side and let sit for several minutes so the cotton has a chance to soak up the juice and get good and wet first.

When ever I change volts or watts, it changes both :( Replace coil, or replace the cotton? and I always prime it ! :) I can't get the same juice in 30/70 they only do 50/50 sadly :( so I might have to deal with no flavour :$ thanks for the tips that was really helpful!!

VG has a boiling point of 290 C while PG is somewhere around 190C ( figure may be off by a few degrees since I am relying on memory), and 100C BP for water (some juice vendors use them to thin out their juice without adding too much throat hit (PG). 

So depending on the juice profile you are currently using, the wattage or temp, if using a TC device, should scale accordingly based on the juice ratio you have. Generally, higher wattage for high VG juice and lower wattage  for high PG juice. Finding that happy medium is trial and error though.

But burnt tasting vape could be by-product of other factors that Tam briefly explained... poor wicking, coils not primed well, or simply a coil just needed a replacement (sometimes prematurely due to heavy VG that could gunk up your coils quicker).

22 minutes ago, AASFLC said:

When ever I change volts or watts, it changes both :( Replace coil, or replace the cotton? and I always prime it ! :) I can't get the same juice in 30/70 they only do 50/50 sadly :( so I might have to deal with no flavour :$ thanks for the tips that was really helpful!!

On the left side of the display you'll see two numbers stacked. The top number will be the resistance of your coil. The bottom number will be either watts or volts. To the right of those two numbers you'll see bigger numbers and a W or V. That larger number is what the battery is currently working on. Yes, the other smaller number will change with the larger number to the right but it's the larger number that will tell you whether you're currently on volts or watts.

PG is the flavor carrier, it's also thinner and will give you more throat hit.

VG is the vapor, it's thicker juice (slightly sweet), and will gunk up your coils faster.

With a sub-ohm tank/coil, you want to go with higher VG than the 50/50 ratio. Might be you want to try buying juice online? There are quite a few reputable vendors that many of us use on this forum. Fadora Vapor owned by our own @Compenstine on this forum is a great resource. He will work with you until the cows come home to customize your juice to perfection.  :) EC Blends is also a good, trusted vendor as are many on this forum. Go to the home page and scroll down until you see the vendor section. Read e-liquid reviews and the comments. Those will also help. 

2 hours ago, Tam said:

1 hour ago, Tam said:

On the left side of the display you'll see two numbers stacked. The top number will be the resistance of your coil. The bottom number will be either watts or volts. To the right of those two numbers you'll see bigger numbers and a W or V. That larger number is what the battery is currently working on. Yes, the other smaller number will change with the larger number to the right but it's the larger number that will tell you whether you're currently on volts or watts.

PG is the flavor carrier, it's also thinner and will give you more throat hit.

VG is the vapor, it's thicker juice (slightly sweet), and will gunk up your coils faster.

With a sub-ohm tank/coil, you want to go with higher VG than the 50/50 ratio. Might be you want to try buying juice online? There are quite a few reputable vendors that many of us use on this forum. Fadora Vapor owned by our own @Compenstine on this forum is a great resource. He will work with you until the cows come home to customize your juice to perfection.  :) EC Blends is also a good, trusted vendor as are many on this forum. Go to the home page and scroll down until you see the vendor section. Read e-liquid reviews and the comments. Those will also help. 

They're really expensive online that's why I bought this 3 bottles of 30 Ml for 20 dollars :( But I'll try to find some more VG to put into the current 50/50 maybe that will help it :)

1 hour ago, iQuit said:

VG has a boiling point of 290 C while PG is somewhere around 190C ( figure may be off by a few degrees since I am relying on memory), and 100C BP for water (some juice vendors use them to thin out their juice without adding too much throat hit (PG). 

So depending on the juice profile you are currently using, the wattage or temp, if using a TC device, should scale accordingly based on the juice ratio you have. Generally, higher wattage for high VG juice and lower wattage  for high PG juice. Finding that happy medium is trial and error though.

But burnt tasting vape could be by-product of other factors that Tam briefly explained... poor wicking, coils not primed well, or simply a coil just needed a replacement (sometimes prematurely due to heavy VG that could gunk up your coils quicker).

1 hour ago, iQuit said:

Oh so when I make mine more VG that's when I'm able to do higher wattage? Makes sense :) trial and error, here I come!