Super noob. Please help.

Doozey45

Hey guys and girls. I'm super green to vaping. I just quit tobacco 3 days ago and I'm craving nicotine bad so I figured jump in to vaping. However, I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing. Would someone mind teaching me? I usually teach my self but every time I try to research I see all these terms and comparisons to other vaping devices which I have no idea. I've done enough research to know that I'm interested in the itaste svd. And mg of nicotine I would want. But I have stupid questions like. How do I use it. How do I maintain it. How long do batteries last for. When you Vape how many times do you do it? to get the nicotine level you need. Just once? Or is it like a cigeratte? Does it come with a tank or do I need to find a tank.. Pretty much everything I would need to know. I really appreciate any one even taking the time I reading this , thank you.

Normally I would say go visit a local vape shop, but lately I have seen where they sell beginners complicated setups. If you visit a local vape shop don't let them sell you a TC mod or a Mechanical mod tell them you want something that is simple, easy to use, and user friendly.

How much did you smoke per day? That would help for us to know so we recommend the right amount of nic you need in your juice.

You say you want an iTaste SVD? Why did you decide on this one? This mod is for more advanced users, I would not recommend it to someone who is totally new to vaping. You do know that you'll need to buy separate batteries for this, right? Also, I would strongly recommend getting a separate charger for these batteries like an Nitecore charger for safety. You will need to do some research of "safe" batteries to use with this as well.

What is your budget for your equipment? That will also help us to help you get the best bang for your buck.  :)

@Earthling789  You wanna jump into this thread to help?  

Welcome to Vapor Talk.  :)

after visiting my wife at the hospital, in for a quadruple bypass, i figured id stop at a vap shop, which i noticed on my way home, had to try something to quit cigs. the gal was very knowledgeable and let me try a few flavors, hey they seem to work so i bought a couple stater kits, me and the wife, starting vaping right then,  did smoke a cig when i got home, a few next day and maybe one the next day, then couple days and then one, nothing for over a week now, just vaping. i was at 2 packs a day for about 40 years. couldn't believe how good they work, but as the gal at the store said, you do want to quit. i started out with the itaste vv v3.0 kit, she did point out a starter kit that cost about $20.00 but figured if it was going to work id get something decent. after couple weeks i also bought a itaste 134 mini and made a mistake and bought batteries for a itaste `134 (regular size) so i also bought the itaste 134 regular size model.  i got deals on both these units, $40.00 each brand new in the box, so cant complain, and yes im getting a case of shinyitus, but at least i have something to show for my money, not like cig which you have nothing to show.  so i say buy the itaste vv v3.0 starter kit and enjoy. remember that its need to recharge and that can take a  few hours. thats the reason for my backups, plus  cool to have a collection. all and all for a couple hundred bucks you can have a decent collection of vaps. sell plus batteries, and battery charger. plus plus plus. point is its 1000% better than smoking. i think 2016 the vaping is going to really take off with the older generation, 55 and above. who knows we might even see a vap off for seniors. ofcourse there will have to be a Dr nearby just in case. but im telling every one i see about how good it works.

Good to see replies thanks a lot guys. And I didn't really smoke, I did chewing tobacco, which I've heard is a lot harder to quit.. My doctor told me that what I dipped in a day (5 times) was equivalent to 2 packs of cigerattes. How true that is I don't know.. But on to budget. I don't really have a problem spending some bucks. The one I'm interested in is close to 100 I think. But it'll pay for itself no time.. I live in New York so it's like 6 bucks a can for me. And I usually buy one a day or every other day so The Vape will pay for itself and the start saving very shortly not to mention my main goal.. My health.

You could get something simple like a Ego battery and a pro tank or get a istick with a decent tank to go with it, there's so many choices its mind boggling, it depends on what you want, and if you plan to upgrade eventually or not. I have a friend that just chewed, he got himself a Kanger Subtank kit and hasn't chewed since, but what worked for him might not work for you. 

15 hours ago, Doozey45 said:

My doctor told me that what I dipped in a day (5 times) was equivalent to 2 packs of cigerattes. How true that is I don't know.. 

I live in New York so it's like 6 bucks a can for me. And I usually buy one a day or every other day

Based on what you posted, a can of snuff/dip is basically equivalent to a pack of cigarettes (full-flavor, unfiltered)... or two packs of filtered "lights".

I would suggest simple to get you started... A Kanger ProTank 2, Kanger Aerotank V2, Nautilus, Nautilus Mini, or AnyVape Davide.  Coils are cheap for these, and they WORK!  As for a battery device... simple is best, so I would suggest an iStick 50W, not for the power, but for the longevity of the battery.  The Wismec Presa 40W (not the TC model) is also tops on my list... Next would be an MVP-series battery.  As for a stick-style, you cannot beat the iTaste CLK, Vision Spinner V1, or a similar Variable-voltage device from Kanger or Smok.

Based on your daily nicotine from dipping, I would suggest you start with one of the tanks above, a coil in the 1.5-1.8 Ohm resistance range, and probably an 18mg nicotine level.  You can go higher or lower, based on your needs, but that will be a good starting point.  Find a flavor you like, and vape as often as you feel the need :)

Thanks man very informative I also learned that regulated is better than mechanical because mechanical happens to blow up in your face? Well it's rare but I've found 10 articles of it. So it's been averaging like 1 or 2 a year. Scary enough for me.. Any input on this??

Those that blow themselves up are usually using inferior batteries, defective mechanicals, or running resistances (Ohms) far below the ratings of their battery.  These are things the media leave out... they just play the blame-game on those evil e-cigs... [shakes head]

Mechanicals are safe, as long as you know what you are doing and use good equipment, the right way... that being said, even a regulated mod can have issues... poor chipsets, batteries, or just stupidity by the operator...  This is why we always preach about battery safety and knowing what your device can and will do. 

Don't let the media scare you... the media no longer reports the news or public-services... they are interested in ratings and awards, agenda pushing, and fear-mongering...

Fwiw, I got a kangertech subvod kit and that helped me immensely. Since that worked well I ended up getting a sigelei fuchai 200watt with a cloud chasers triforce tank, which was way overkill, but I don't regret it, took a few days and alot of help from guys here and I've got it figured out and rocking.

The subvod kit was incredibly easy and I credit it for letting me put down the cigarettes. I was doing 1.5-2 packs of camel lights a day and went with nicotine level 9 and had no issues.

5 hours ago, Doozey45 said:

So of your new like me and have no idea about ohms law and batteries to use how do I know what to do?? Like I said lol super noob 

Earthling gave you some great recommendations: "I would suggest simple to get you started... A Kanger ProTank 2, Kanger Aerotank V2, Nautilus, Nautilus Mini, or AnyVape Davide.  Coils are cheap for these, and they WORK!  As for a battery device... simple is best, so I would suggest an iStick 50W, not for the power, but for the longevity of the battery."

So, I'll narrow it down for you. My recommendation would be an Eleaf iStick 50W for a battery. It's simple enough for a "super noob" but has enough power to keep you from having to upgrade too soon. It should last you some time. There is a 4400 mAh battery that is enclosed inside and not removable, you just plug it in to recharge. I would buy at least two to get started. One can be charging while you vape on the other. Because the battery is so large, it's going to take five hours or more to go from dead to completely recharged. The kit comes with the charging cord, AC adapter, and 510 to eGo adapter.

As for the tanks Earthling rec'd for you, I'd go with the Kanger Aerotank V2. This tank is pretty easy to use, has some adjustments for airflow and you can use either a dual coil (more expensive) or a single coil (much cheaper and in my opinion, performs just as well as a dual coil at a fraction of the price). Get at least two if not more of these.

Now, I'm going to give you the "lecture" about having back ups. You want to make sure to have back ups and back ups of your back ups.

Seriously.

The last thing you want to have happen is for something to go wrong and you have nothing else to turn to other than another pack of smokes or, in your case, another can of chew. Many noobs (not even super noobs  :D ) don't take us seriously about the back ups... until something goes wrong and they're having to do without until a replacement comes in the mail. I've gone through four batteries, two tanks and several coils one time when I was out and about. One thing went wrong after another. Thankfully I had enough back ups with me to get me through until I got home. You can never have too many...  :lol:

I'll second the backups and backups for the backups... Like Tam, I've left the house with more than I needed, only to find out that 4 batteries, a dead cell-phone, broken tank, and a bad coil later... I was coasting into the house with my last battery flashing red and a smidge of juice left in my one working tank... and I was only gone from the house for 10 hours!!

Edited by Earthling789

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of trial and error I finally found a system that works for me. I have a Nautilus Aspire tank. I buy 1.8 ohm coils in the five pack online; they're cheaper that way. I bought a VAMO 5 tank, also online and I bought 4 Efest 2100 18650 batteries in town. This setup (except the coils) has lasted me well over a year. I usually go though 5 coils within a month or two. I've tried other batteries; they don't work as well. Also you will need a charger. I bought one from a battery store; the one I bought from the vape shop here in town was expensive and was a piece of crap. I make my own vape for three reason; it's expensive at the local shops; I never run out; I control what goes into it. That said starting out you'll prolly want to buy. Based on what you said, I'd go for a 12mg e-liquid. You can always go up later. I agree with lots said here; esp. regarding ego510. Only problem is that you have to replace the whole thing when the battery runs out; but they are very dependable; like a swiss army knife; they don't break. G'luck and congrats.

• 4 weeks later...