Just saying Hi

DonMongoose

Just started vaping 2 weeks ago after deciding to quit smoking. Checked a lot of forums doing research etc and this one has come across as one of the most friendly and noob friendly, so decided to sign up. Hello from the UK ;D

oh and as for my question-

I'm enjoying my first build - using a eleaf 20w with a nautilus mini on top, but I've been reading a lot about sub ohm-ing. However, there seems to be a lot of conflicting stuff about it using a lot of terms that mean nothing to a newby. Is it wise for me to steer clear of sub ohm-ing for awhile or can anyone just buy a rig and start?

Edited by DonMongoose

Congratulations on making the switch! I've been vaping for a year today and will never look back. Who knew we could actually enjoy quitting?!?!? 

As far as your question, sub-ohming can be very nice. I do, but I also have a Nautilus that I use regularly as well. The key to sub ohm-ing is understanding battery safety. If you don't have a firm grasp on ohms law and battery safety, then sub ohming can still be done,  you just need to make sure you're doing it right. First, the battery you're using is not powerful enough for sub ohming, so you'll need to upgrade. I would suggest, if this is something you really want to do, you try getting something like an eleaf 30watt with a subtank nano. They are the perfect size for each other. The 30watt is the same size as the 20 you're used to, and everything is regulated. You don't have to worry about the battery safety, because everything is already done for you. Pre-built coils, a regulated battery designed to hit the coil you've got. You'll know if you've turned the wattage up to high because it will start to taste burnt, then  you just turn it down a bit and you're good to go. The maintenance of this set up is no different than what you do with a standard tank.  If it's something you really want to try, this is where I would suggest you start. Safe and simple way to dip your toe in. 

Welcome Don.  Enjoy your new adventure.

the mini nautilus with the ileaf is a great combo.  No need to rush in to sub ohm. Take your time.  Feel free to pose any questions you have about it and we'll be happy to answer.

i would recommend bumping up to the 30w ileaf. But no rush. 

Well i've decoded enough from the various sources to have figured out that my box mod (correct term?) won't handle sub ohm coils, which got me looking at investing in an ileaf 50w which would do and also a much longer battery life - the main thing thats put me off is a lot of negative reviews of it regarding build quality.

As for my current setup - I see a lot of people saying they hit around 12-14w on the nautilus 1.8 coils, but I find that tastes burnt, my spot seems to be considerably lower, more around the 6-8 watt mark. BUT - I seem to burn out coils really easily - I put a new one in this morning and its somehow fried already. I gave it a good 20-30 min settle/soak time after a few dry draws and started right on the lowest power after that - how has it burnt out already?

You're using an iStick 20W which is notorious for not showing the accurate wattage. Change it over to voltage, that seems to work better. If you're using the 20W at 6 - 8 watts, it's still running hotter than that. Voltage is more accurate.

If you put a new coil into your Nautilus, start at the lowest setting and vape. If it's not doing it for you (not producing sufficient vapor, no flavor, etc.), then turn it up a little. Vape. Repeat until you get a slight burnt taste or harsh hit. Turn it down a notch and that should be the sweet spot for that juice. Every juice will have a different sweet spot. Fruit juices seem to like it cooler, bakery flavors seem to need more heat. Don't feel like you have to set your battery at what everyone else is using, vaping is so subjective that what works for me may not be what works for you.

If it's any consolation, when I use my Nautilus mini with a 1.8 ohm vertical coil and some fruit flavors, I usually set it at around 3.7 volts or a little lower to get the best vapor and flavor.  :)

The iStick 50W works great for me, I've fallen in love with them BUT! you have to be careful to keep the connection part dry and clean. It seems that some people have had it auto fire and get hot/batteries vent because of juice leaking into the connection and into the fire button. Never leave a charging battery unattended, be careful and use common sense and you should be fine. Also, don't charge it with a tank attached.

As a noob, I would say you should wait a bit until you know the ropes and get a little more experience in vaping before going the sub-ohm route. Learn to ride a bicycle before you try to drive the Harley. Just my opinion.  :)

Also, don't charge it with a tank attached.

Is this a thing? One of the selling points of this to me was that it can be used whilst charging.

And as for your iStick 50w, have you had any problems charging it or with the loose power button - these are two issues I see again and again in articles/youtube reviews.

Is this a thing? One of the selling points of this to me was that it can be used whilst charging.

And as for your iStick 50w, have you had any problems charging it or with the loose power button - these are two issues I see again and again in articles/youtube reviews.

That's a safety thing. You can charge it with the tank on or use it while it's charging. I prefer not to take any chances, which is why I keep lots of back ups to use while a different battery is charging.

No, I've never had any problems with my iStick 50W, nor have I had any issues with a loose power button. I just don't take chances and try to take all the precautions that I can to make sure I don't.  :)

I use my Istick 50w daily granted I dont own 20 like Tam  but the one I own has worked flawless for me

I do not own 20... only 5 with 4 more on its way.  :popo:

Spares seem a good idea, I'm currently screwed as the spare coils I ordered still haven't turned up and there's a chance they won't before I have to to go work :/

So, essentially there's not much difference between the 30w and the 50w other than the size and battery life?

Spares seem a good idea, I'm currently screwed as the spare coils I ordered still haven't turned up and there's a chance they won't before I have to to go work :/

So, essentially there's not much difference between the 30w and the 50w other than the size and battery life?

Spares/backups are a must   Theres also an Istick 40 that has temp control if you wanna venture down that road  I must say its a road you might not wanna ever return from B) BRB Tams about too :popo: Me :animier::animier:

I did see the 40w, but the whole temp control thing confused me if i'm honest. Is it just the 20w that has the issues with voltage being incorrectly registered ?

Got 10 spare coils arriving HOPEFULLY tomorrow, I have a second nautilus on its way (the original this time, not the mini) so I just need to get myself a spare power unit now.

It's only the 20W that has the issues with the wattage. If you switch it to voltage, it's better.

We always stress getting back ups of everything. Then, get back ups for your back ups. When you've got those, get back ups of your back up back ups. Seriously, you'll never be sorry to have several back ups.

One time, my battery died on me. I got my back up battery. Wouldn't you know it? I'd forgotten to charge it. Got my other back up battery. Dead as a door nail. My fourth back up battery worked just fine. Then, the coil in the tank died. Thankfully, I had more coils with me and made the switch. I was so happy to have had as many back ups as I did because I was out for the day and wouldn't have time to go back home to get more.  :)

It's only the 20W that has the issues with the wattage. If you switch it to voltage, it's better.

We always stress getting back ups of everything. Then, get back ups for your back ups. When you've got those, get back ups of your back up back ups. Seriously, you'll never be sorry to have several back ups.

One time, my battery died on me. I got my back up battery. Wouldn't you know it? I'd forgotten to charge it. Got my other back up battery. Dead as a door nail. My fourth back up battery worked just fine. Then, the coil in the tank died. Thankfully, I had more coils with me and made the switch. I was so happy to have had as many back ups as I did because I was out for the day and wouldn't have time to go back home to get more.  :)

And that right there is more than enough reasons to have 20 Istick50W's :lol::lol:

Wheres Earthling Im gonna need backup here :2guns::2guns:

I am. As of today's vape mail, I have nine of these things. Can you tell I like them?  :D

So far, of the five I've been using every day, I've not had one auto-fire and the threads on my tanks are all fine. There is one Kanger subtank mini, one authentic Russian 91% version 2, and one Anyvape Davide full-sized with an Aerotank airflow control on three of them. One is charging at the moment and the other one has a Custom Cisco Hybrid HH.357 atomizer on it.

That said, when I charge them, I never leave them to charge unattended. Tanks or atomizers are all taken off and the iStick is turned off first. With everything I use, I clean the connection to keep it clean and dry frequently and/or when I change tanks or refill, etc.