How much does nicotine alter the flavor?

Okay,

So I just finished up my first batch of DIY.  Started out at 20/80 PG/VG, but that became slightly altered as I added a few more drops to tailor the liquid to what I was going for, so it's probably closer to 25/75 now (I haven't put the numbers into my spreadsheet to recalculate yet).  Not a big deal, as I know how much flavoring I need to achieve the taste I was going for and will be able to adjust the VG in future batches.

Now on to my questions to the experienced DIYers.  Since this initial venture into DIY was purely to check my interest in DIY, my first was 0 nic (and my first few batches will be likely be 0 nic as well).  What I need to know, though, is how much does the addition of nicotine actually affect the flavor?  I know it can affect the flavor slightly, but is it enough that I will need to alter the amount of flavoring by a few drops either way, or is it something that depends on the flavorings used in the liquid?  Or is it something I really shouldn't worry too much about?  It isn't something I intend to do for others, only for myself.  I guess as long as I'm happy with it, that's what matters, right?

By the way, my first batch is a "Lynchburgh Lemonade" type of flavor and I'm really happy with how the flavor has turned out.  If anybody might be interested in this type of flavor (basically lemonade and bourbon), feel free to let me know and I'll share my flavor percentages after I recalculate everything.

I don't know if you are using a ejuice program or if you are just using math. I started out using a calculator and a spreadsheet, but found it is much easier to use a program like ejuicemeup, which can be downloaded free and keeps good records for you. As to your question about nicotine you answered it yourself, whatever you want is best for you.

Thanks FXRich.  I actually have ejuicemeup installed on my laptop and plan on using it for upcoming batches.  For this first batch, I went with the tried and true method of a pad of paper, a pencil and an Excel spreadsheet with a couple of basic functions in lieu of a calculator.  Now I just need to decipher my notes :blush:

We all have to start that way, if for no other reason to be sure ejuicemeup is not wrong, It isn't. Making up your own recipes is the way to go, even if it tastes terrible to someone else it tastes good to you and that's what counts.

There is a glitch in ejuicemeup if you use the water/pga/vodka percentage it will mess with your target PG/VG ratio. I add 10% distilled water to my mixes and have to change the target PG to 25% but it is actually 20%. Probably something to do with the water not being considered PG or VG

Edited by FXRich

Just as a consumer, not as a DIYer, nicotine greatly changes a flavor.  Im basing that on a couple of juices that I still vape having once vaped them at 24mg or 18mg and now I'm down to 3mg and a rare 6mg on the same juice.  I dont know that flavor profiles are changed for different nicotine levels. I suppose it's possible but in my opinion nicotine adds a bitterness to a flavor and possibly not one that can be corrected by a flavor change.  

You may just end up having to experiment with it.   

Nicotine has a pepper taste to it. I tasted a drop of 20mg VG once and it defiantly has a pepper taste.

Is your Recipe anything like this one?

Arnie Presents Ray's Hard Lemonade
  • 6% Lemonade (LA)
  • 3% Kentucky Bourbon (TFA)
  • 2% Vanillin 10% PG (TFA)

TFA = The Flavor Apprentice, LA = LorAnn

Nicotine has a pepper taste to it. I tasted a drop of 20mg VG once and it defiantly has a pepper taste.

Is your Recipe anything like this one?

Arnie Presents Ray's Hard Lemonade
  • 6% Lemonade (LA)
  • 3% Kentucky Bourbon (TFA)
  • 2% Vanillin 10% PG (TFA)

TFA = The Flavor Apprentice, LA = LorAnn

Is it a pepper taste similar to nicotine gum?  If so, then I have a better idea of how the nicotine will ultimately affect the flavor of the liquid.

Nope.  My recipe is:

• 6% Natural Lemonade (FW)
  • 4% Bourbon (FW)

FW = Flavor West - They are both local to me, as in the company is only a few miles from me, and one of my local B&M's recently started carrying their entire line (re-bottled as their own brand, but the shop owner was very up front with me in telling me the flavors are actually Flavor West).  They also carry the full Capella line of flavorings and are considering bringing in TFA flavorings.

Even small amounts of nicotine changes the flavour, is more noticeable in very sweet flavours..in fact I starting to get zero nicotine e-liquids exactly for that reason.

Perhaps even in small amounts it is more noticeable in very sweet flavors to your tastebuds.  It may or may not be fact for every sweet liquid or every other person, though.  I'm not 100% my taste buds have completely returned to what could be considered normal.  They have definitely improved, but there are a few things I still have a difficult time distinguishing, the subtle (or not so subtle) differences in liquids with and without nicotine being one of them.  When I go to one of my local B&M's to sample eliquids, the samples are 0 nic.  If I decide to buy a particular flavor, I will either get 3mg or 6mg, depending on whether or not I'm going to be using it in a tank or if I'm going to be dripping.  But I have not been able to distinguish the difference in flavors with and without nicotine yet.  That doesn't necessarily mean I will never be able to, it simply means I can't distinguish it yet.  That's why I'm interested in finding out how much it can affect the flavor.

I use Flavor West exclusively. I found that recipe on a website where I go to get ideas for flavor mixes. It is similar to your recipe but not exact, you don't use vanillin. As far as nicotine and how it affects flavor, you will get a lot of different answers, I just know it has a peppery taste to me. I'm like you after about 50 years of smoking my taste buds aren't what they should be.

I have seen it before. I think I have seen most of the recipe sites, I use them for ideas for my own recipes, I only have 24 different flavors, when I see a recipe on a site that interests me it usually has a ingredient I don't have. But they have research value.