Aspire Atlantis...Mysterious Burnt Taste...I need help!

I have the Aspire Atlantis tank with the CF Sub Ohm Battery. Straight out of the box, all stock. 

I started getting this funny taste. A little burn but not too bad. I figured the coil needed replacement so I threw a new one in. I let it prime for about 30 minutes. Did a few air fires before hitting the coil. After about 2 hits, this awful burnt taste came in, twice as bad as before I replaced the coil.

I swapped out three more coils and got the same result. I cleaned out the air passageways in the pen and shook up the liquid real good.

Finally as a last resort, I changed the TANK. Put a new coil in the new tank and still an awful burnt taste. I even tried an old coil to see if maybe every single one of my coils was bad. 

I know its not my liquid because I've been using Classified Indulge for a long time and its never given me issues.

What could it be???

I don't have a Atlantis so I wouldn't know what the stock resistance is, I use the Kanger subtank. Maybe someone that has a Atlantis could answer your question better than me.

You should be good than. I know other people on here have had trouble with the Atlantis, makes me not want to get one. There was another post earlier that was about the Atlantis and a burnt taste. 

It was about the Nautilus not the Atlantis

Edited by FXRich

I don't believe that battery is a VV or VW I looked it up and didn't see where it was adjustable.

The 50W version has variable watts but not the 40W version

Edited by FXRich

Not being able to control the watts can cause a burnt taste. I made a mistake in the last post its not a 40W its a 40AMP battery, basically its a mechanical with electronics. 

I will type exactly what the battery says.

2000mAH

Input: 4.2V

Output: 4.2V = 40A

Compatibility: 0.3 - 1.0 ohms

I've never had a problem before and I've had it for nearly 4 months. What would cause this to happen all of the sudden when I haven't changed anything but the coils it came with? And btw I've replaced the coil before and it never did this.

Just a thought.  Have you dumped your tank, and cleaned it?  I would also look at the connections from the atomizer to the pin and make sure they are clean, and have no burned spots on the pin and the insulator in the bottom.  With a .5 ohm coil on a freshly charged 4.2 v battery assuming it has no sag and no major resistance problems you should be only drawing a hair over 35 watts.  The Atlantis coils should handle that fine if the juice can handle it.  You might try dumping, cleaning, then priming a new coil with a few drops into the cotton of the coil, fill the tank, let it sit for a few minutes, pull a few draws without hitting the button.  You should feel a bit of moisture from the unburned juice (without firing it) or possibly hear a bit of gurgling.  Now fire it while drawing through it.  Firing it while not drawing can cause you to burn a cotton as the air helps to cool it.

This is about all I can think of, unless you got a new batch of juice, and it is possibly mixed wrong...

If you use them on that battery I would recommend 0.3 the power that battery is putting out it would probably fry a 1.5.

What I would really recommend is a battery with variable watts or volts, then you could adjust the power going into the coil.

Edited by FXRich

Just a thought.  Have you dumped your tank, and cleaned it?  I would also look at the connections from the atomizer to the pin and make sure they are clean, and have no burned spots on the pin and the insulator in the bottom.  With a .5 ohm coil on a freshly charged 4.2 v battery assuming it has no sag and no major resistance problems you should be only drawing a hair over 35 watts.  The Atlantis coils should handle that fine if the juice can handle it.  You might try dumping, cleaning, then priming a new coil with a few drops into the cotton of the coil, fill the tank, let it sit for a few minutes, pull a few draws without hitting the button.  You should feel a bit of moisture from the unburned juice (without firing it) or possibly hear a bit of gurgling.  Now fire it while drawing through it.  Firing it while not drawing can cause you to burn a cotton as the air helps to cool it.

This is about all I can think of, unless you got a new batch of juice, and it is possibly mixed wrong...

I used a BRAND NEW Atlantis tank and got the same result. Atomizer/pin connection looks fine. I always do my coil ritual where I drip some juice on the cotton first. And this time I even let the coil saturate for 30 minutes. Then I do a few dry pulls before hitting the button. And I'm always cautious of hitting the button without drawing.

Seriously I'm doing nothing wrong here and I got the same awful burn taste on two different tanks. Do I need a new battery?

I do wish you had something else to try it on.  A variable voltage or something to see if lower wattage would make a difference.  If the mod truly acts as a "protected" mechanical mod, and had no boost circuitry, I do not see how that could be your problem.  Remember energy is drawn from your battery, not pushed from your battery.  The only variable you have to change your watts on a mechanical mod is to change the ohms of the coil.  The higher the ohms the lower the wattage (at the same voltage).  This is why a lower ohm coil generally puts out more heat/vapor on a mechanical.  The most your battery can put out is 4.2 volts for a very short while it will soon drop with use.

If it worked fine before I can not imagine what has changed.  I have looked into the CF and can't find any information on it having any voltage/wattage control, except to limit for protection, which with your combination (battery/coil) you should not be close to.  Do you have a backup, or a buddy who would let you test your tank on his/her mod?  Another possible way to test is to take one of your ruined coils and burn it for a bit in steps to try to run your battery down a bit and see if you are overpowering it.  The nominal voltage for an 18650 is 3.7 volts which gets you down to 27 watts.  The initial 35 watts when the battery is fresh could be enough to  burn a fresh coil.

I'm sorry I am not more help, just grasping at straws here!

Did you ever use a tank on your battery that had more than a 1.0ohm coil? The reason I ask is your battery is supposed to run a coil between .3 and 1 ohm, and running a coil over 1.0 ohm might damage the circuit. Just a thought.

Did you ever use a tank on your battery that had more than a 1.0ohm coil? The reason I ask is your battery is supposed to run a coil between .3 and 1 ohm, and running a coil over 1.0 ohm might damage the circuit. Just a thought.

I've never bought anything separate than what came in the box since I've only had it 4 months. All of the coils are 0.5 ohms

I do wish you had something else to try it on.  A variable voltage or something to see if lower wattage would make a difference.  If the mod truly acts as a "protected" mechanical mod, and had no boost circuitry, I do not see how that could be your problem.  Remember energy is drawn from your battery, not pushed from your battery.  The only variable you have to change your watts on a mechanical mod is to change the ohms of the coil.  The higher the ohms the lower the wattage (at the same voltage).  This is why a lower ohm coil generally puts out more heat/vapor on a mechanical.  The most your battery can put out is 4.2 volts for a very short while it will soon drop with use.

If it worked fine before I can not imagine what has changed.  I have looked into the CF and can't find any information on it having any voltage/wattage control, except to limit for protection, which with your combination (battery/coil) you should not be close to.  Do you have a backup, or a buddy who would let you test your tank on his/her mod?  Another possible way to test is to take one of your ruined coils and burn it for a bit in steps to try to run your battery down a bit and see if you are overpowering it.  The nominal voltage for an 18650 is 3.7 volts which gets you down to 27 watts.  The initial 35 watts when the battery is fresh could be enough to  burn a fresh coil.

I'm sorry I am not more help, just grasping at straws here!

You are right it has no voltage or wattage control. Right after a fresh charge, it is easy to tell the voltage drops after about 5 hits and there's no way to change it. Since I cannot alter the wattage or voltage, wouldn't that mean the battery couldn't possibly be the issue? Or do they just simply go bad sometimes?

I've never bought anything separate than what came in the box since I've only had it 4 months. All of the coils are 0.5 ohms

You are right it has no voltage or wattage control. Right after a fresh charge, it is easy to tell the voltage drops after about 5 hits and there's no way to change it. Since I cannot alter the wattage or voltage, wouldn't that mean the battery couldn't possibly be the issue? Or do they just simply go bad sometimes?

Normally when a battery goes bad, it will drop extremely fast.  I had one just the other day (my first to go bad) that was fully charged and it only lasted 5 to 6 vapes until my mod flashed low battery!

Normally when a battery goes bad, it will drop extremely fast.  I had one just the other day (my first to go bad) that was fully charged and it only lasted 5 to 6 vapes until my mod flashed low battery!

My battery is working perfectly then. Just that burnt taste all the time. Should I try a new set of coils or a new tank or a whole new setup?