Battery Storage

Ok after jumping in the lake last weekend with my IStick 50w around my neck I never want to have to wait on a replacement again should that shat happen again. I have a pretty basic battery question.

I ordered an extra one to have on standby in addition to the one I plan to use. Between my wife and I it is only a matter of time till something happens again. How do you store your batteries you do not plan to use for quite a while? We are getting into RC cars-boats etc... and have been schooled in LiPo batteries. They enter storage mode at about 3.6-3.8v charged. Should I store my extra IStick the same way? Should I discharge the one I plan to store a bit or is it ok to store fully charged?

The main reason I ask is they both came in fully charged. All the LiPo batteries at the hobby shop are charged as close to 50% as possible for storage. Is this even a concern for the more advanced units? What about all the Spinner 2s I have put to the side and only use every 3rd day when I charge my IStick?

This is an area I have not seen much discussion on lately and am curious myself. I am sure over the years I have read the answer but cannot remember.

Edited by bcartervol98

It doesn't matter what device a LiPo is in, storage is storage. When I am racing weekly, I just unplug the battery when I am done racing and let it be untill next week. When the season is over, I'll charge the batteries to 3.0 to 3.2 volts, and cycle them every 4 to 6 weeks. It's a chore to try and keep them from going bad in  storage, but  race packs are  expensive.

I'd recommend swapping out the spare iStick when you need to charge, and not go throuvh the trouble of storing one of them.

And I didn't proof read, I store them 3.4 to 3.6 volts not 3.0 to 3.2, that's cut off.....

Edited by Squid
Oops gues I type slow...

Li-Ion batteries hold charge in storage/stand-by for many months, but LiPo won't hold the charge as long or as well.  It is not good for them to sit on the shelf and slowly discharge.  In my experience, rechargeable batteries that are not used do not last as long as they should.  Regardless, all rechargeable batteries should be stored with full charge, not half-charge.  More damage will occur if you store them in a depleted state.

As suggested above, rotate them, and they both will last longer, and you'll never have the problem of one going dead, and the "standby" battery being dead on the shelf too.

Rotation it all be. I use a silicone case anyway and you cannot tell what color it is. The wife and I seem to never charge at the same time so in theory one should be fully charged for either of us at all times....even if I have to use her pink one from time to time haha. It's in a Tennessee Orange case so it's all good!