UD Zephyrus RBA - Dual Ni200 Builds?

Rixter

I'm thinking about buying a UD Zephyrus for my dad to use with his new TC mod, but I'm looking for some input from dual-coil nickel-build Zephyrus RDA users first.

Since spaced 28g Ni200 coils would have to be fairly long to get the total dual-coil load above .1Ω (I'm guessing ~15 x 3mm wraps per coil), does the Zephyrus' RBA build deck provide enough room for them to fit comfortably?

If you have used the described build, please provide your coil specs (I.D., wrap count, gauge, etc.) and pics if possible.

Thanks.

The Zephyrus is. Brand new to me.  Literally.  I just went on a stock coil to see how she vapes and I love it.  I just built my first dual coil (kanthal) build.  Works great.  I have to say, this is a much harder deck to build on but I am also not used to it.  In my opinion it is much smaller area to work with.

but, I think it might be possible.  I have already looked in to how to build a single coil on that deck and it looks doable. There is much less room for wicking material so your wick has to be really set up correctly.  I think a dual nickel is possible but looks tighter than I like.  I just haven't tried it yet.  When all is said and done, the zephyr U.S. has better juice flow than the mini sub.  I'm determined to make this work. Lol.  

I'll try and upload some pics later.  It's tighter than the sub mini. But in some ways superior.  Better airflow. Better juice flow.  It's tough to beat that single coil deck of the mini though for ease of use. 

By my calculations, each .2Ω 3mm 28g 1mm-spaced 15/14 Ni200 coil (whew...that's a mouthful!) would be just over 6mm long.

Edited by Rixter

Just curious, Rix, is your Dad getting into building his own coils too?

Lord, I hope not!!!

I'm looking at the Zephyrus mainly because I can put a nickel build in it for TC and not have to worry about him running his tank dry and burning his wick to ashes...over and over again!!! The top-fill design is also a must for him.

Edited by Rixter

On a related note -  have you tried using 30g 30g Ni Rixter?  I haven't.  My general feeling is it's gonna be tight on the zephyrus either way.

Love the top fill.

Love the bigger juice chanels. 

I dont like the 510 connection - it's shorter than the mini. On the heatvape, it bottoms out just after making contact with the adjustable base as low as it goes. I wish there was a little more play in it. 

Here is a really crappy shot of a 9/10 28g kanthal build. But you can see the outer bottom part of the wick just dipping in to the juice channels.  Can you fit 5 more wraps? Its worth a try but its tight.  This is also a 2.5 mm build. 3mm would be even tighter but i think its doable.

20150703_082508_HDR.jpg

Another. Sorry for poor shot.

20150703_082621.jpg

Couple of notes:

This kanthal build ohms out at .75

No dry hits at 30 watts. Juice flow is great although its a little hot for me. I like it around 20 - 25 watts.

Good flavor and vapor but at 30W the 6mg nic is a tad harsh. Ive really stepped down my nic to 3 or 4 is where I really like it.

Dragongunner should be in here soon to put his 2 cents in. He uses the zeph too.  Im hoping they add a single coil design because there is a lot I like about the zeph including better airflow design over the sub mini

So Rixter

i have a dilemma .......  I just made a nickel dual coil.  15/14 duals 3mm 28g.   On my meter it ohmed out at .13 okay, I'm excited cuz it took me an hour lol.  I load it on my heatvape.  Heatvape says .08 BUT,  I don't get a fault indicator.  I tried a quick fire and it fires!  Or wants to anyway.... 

Now I don't know what to do.  Back on the meter.  .12.  Back on the mod.  .08. But no fault.  I test it rapidly.  It wants to fire.

i am so tempted to just fire this thing off.  It wasn't an easy build and maybe that answers your question about the Zephyrus, lol but it appears to be at the limit........

im actually scared,  lol.  .

I feel like even though the Heatvape's stated lower limit is .1Ω for Ni200 builds, if it will fire and not tell you to check the atomizer, then you're probably alright. Your device is only going to adjust the voltage to provide enough power to the coil to accommodate your set temp limit, so if I were you, I'd wick it up and give it a shot. I'm sure that if your coils drop in resistance from usage to a point below what it can handle, your device will tell you to check your atomizer.

Maybe gloves and goggles might be in order, though. lol

Got any pics?

I'm still alive!!!

okay, I'm fairly convinced that I'm at the extreme limit of this tank. It actually worked....for a little while (you KNEW I was gonna fire it, didn't you, lol).  

The ohms jumped around - quite a bit actually - when it dropped to .07 it wouldn't fire. At one point it settled in at .11 nicely and lasted for several glorious hits at around 30 watts.  The tank heated up like crazy probably from the close proximity of the coils to the housing.  Each time I got up there it would change and then quit.  If I let it cool down it would fire again but not for long.  One more little wrap (I debated trying a 16/15 ) would have done it but it is so cramped as to be not practical.  I don't know, I may give it another shot. 

I suspect that that the heating/cooling cycle is changing the position of the coil ever so slightly.  It's just too much fuss at this point.  MAYBE 30g would do it.  I don't know.  It was a fun experiment but I'm defeated now. I'll have to try again another time. We'll see what Gunny thinks when he gets here.

i will pull it apart and take some shots of it for posterity in a few minutes here......

201506221510197653.jpg

Looks like our nickel-build problem might just have been solved for us. Zephyrus Ni-200 coils are going to be available soon.

Edited by Rixter

Now if they would just change that red top-fill plug out for a gasket that stays inside the removable top cap, it would be so much simpler to fill.

Good idea.

i have to say. The flow rate on this thing is incredible.  Blows the sub mini away.  Haven't tried the new sub mini yet though. Plus I'm also going to do a little mod to the sub mini that should up its flow rate.

The flow rate on this thing is incredible.  Blows the sub mini away.

Twice the wicking...dual-coil build deck on the Zephyrus versus single-coil on the Subtank Mini.

Twice the wicking...dual-coil build deck on the Zephyrus versus single-coil on the Subtank Mini.

right, but I was thinking even to each coil.  I like the large juice channels.  

As soon as I figure how to plug off the other side I'm going to build a single on the Zeph and see how she does

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to block off the airflow holes to one side. I initially used a clipped piece of a q-tip but it leaked through. Then I got the spare rubber grommet used for the top fill and cut it in half and used it to plug the holes. It fit perfectly but within seconds it also leaked. I have no idea now how to plug those holes. Bebop did you have any luck with blocking them up?