For You Guitarists, Or Musicians At All, Out There...

Dream Theater's John Peetrucci plays what some consider to be the fastest solo ever. This isn't just mindless shredding, these guys are Berkley grads with incredible talent...

During the 2004 Train of Thought tour, Dream Theater played at the Budokan Hall in Tokyo Japan.

At approximately the 3:20 mark of the song Petrucci begins his first solo in the composition. Here he reaches nearly 19.3 Notes Per Second (NPS) in a very technical tapping phrase followed by a mind-bending 38.6 NPS 4-note sweeping phrase. He does this 4-note sweep twice. TWICE!

This might be of mild interest to you haha

But I have come full circle in my days. I think there should be a "slowest " contest out there. Petrucci is great as well as a dozen other speed guys. But I still relish the slow melodic solos of Gilmore, Gary Moore and others... :)

Mixes of live performances don't do the artists justice .... IMO. Would much rather listen to a good studio mix. Still...not bad, tho, just not good as it could be.

I have literally never heard that musicians are better in studio...like ever.

But I have come full circle in my days. I think there should be a "slowest " contest out there. Petrucci is great as well as a dozen other speed guys. But I still relish the slow melodic solos of Gilmore, Gary Moore and others... :)

I like it all. Not one or the other.

• 2 weeks later...

But I have come full circle in my days. I think there should be a "slowest " contest out there. Petrucci is great as well as a dozen other speed guys. But I still relish the slow melodic solos of Gilmore, Gary Moore and others... smile.png

Agree. For instance, in country music, I don't know of anyone faster than Brad Paisley, but I find most of his solos really irritating. 'Speed' only impresses other musicians who are impressed by speed. I'd rather have my 'ears' impressed.

Out of hundreds of those I never tire of, one is the simple, almost beginner type solo played on Jefferson Starships 'Nothings Going to Stop Us Now'. And I can always listen to Steve Stevens on 'Rebel Yell'.

But I have come full circle in my days. I think there should be a "slowest " contest out there. Petrucci is great as well as a dozen other speed guys. But I still relish the slow melodic solos of Gilmore, Gary Moore and others... smile.png

Bebop, I'm sure you're familiar with Joe Bonamassa, I just stumbled across him about a year ago. If not, check this out, one of my favorite blues, rock, shuffles.....live. BTW, he's the only guitarist on stage.....ignore the shot of the 'air guitarist' roadies.

Edited by kerk

So do I, but it's a sad day when musical virtuosity is frowned upon because it's "too loud" or "too fast" as opposed to the days of Mozart, Bach, Haydn, George Frederick Handel and Rachmaninov...all extreme vrtuosos of all time and some of the most technically versatile players to have ever lived were never second-guessed in their in their capacity for musical composition...and were in fact embraced and nurtured and cheered along in their journey across pushing the boundaries of the days musical frontiers.

I guess it's just because old people don't like instruments with that new newfangled electricity flowing through them.

If you choose to let the colorful, groud-breaking master of today pass you by because, well "Danngit I'm just a good ol boy that likes it slow" it's really your loss...

YMMVJMFHUTIFWIW

Edited by T-Bone

As far as myself, I can be 'impressed' with speed, but 'only' with the 'time and sweat' invested in obtaining that ability. As for the 'music' part of it, if it is not 'pleasing' to my ear (which to me, is the 'purpose' of music....as it is not an essential for survival) then 'that' is the only appreciation it will get from me......and that is coming from an ex bar room player, that probably only ranks a 3 on a scale of 10.

'Most' have no idea about the 'time and sweat', so I would expect even less appreciation from them.

As for solo's, I find, or believe, many 'speed solos' are done simply to try and impress with that, 'speed'......and they are solos that I would not listen to a second time.

Give me melodic, 'ear pleasing' pieces, fast or slow, or I'm not interested......and there are more of them than I even have time to listen too.

Edited by kerk

Why are modern musicianis looked down upon?

Virtuosos like Mozart weren't looked at in this way...just because music has wires and electricity in it doesn't mean modern day virtuosos are any less than they were of yesteryear.

Love Joe B. He's awesome.

Who looks down on modern vituosos? Nobody really. I understand everybody has their tastes. Thats different. For instance, i think Yngwie is a virtuoso but I think he sucks haha. Of course he doesn't suck but I cant listen to him for more than 30 seconds without falling asleep haha why? Because I dont care to listen to him (translate: he sucks!) :)

Why are modern musicianis looked down upon?

Virtuosos like Mozart weren't looked at in this way...just because music has wires and electricity in it doesn't mean modern day virtuosos are any less than they were of yesteryear.

Who says they are? Not me. I haven't seen any comment to that effect on this thread.