Regular ProTank vs. Nautilus Aspire?

spydre

I've seen many people here recommending a Nautilus Aspire, or a mini one, over the Kanger ProTanks. My question - since I've been out of the look around at different tanks game for a while, why is that? Okay, I get that the big tank holds double what the PT2 does, and the mini holds about .5 ml less than a ProTank or Davide, but if I were to switch from a ProTank to the Aspire, if I'm not going to going the rebuilding route, what's the advantage other than size? And why on earth are the coils twice as much as ProTank coils?

Some people think the BVC coil from Aspire delivers a superior taste. I have gotten rid of all my KPT 2s and replaced them with full size Davides. The Davides come with dual coils but I toss those out and use my .80 cent single coils and get the best flavor off any tank I have tried including the Nautilus.

So to answer your question as to the advantage I do not see one other than having the newest thing. The coils are twice as much for a couple reasons. First more goes into making a dual coil I am sure and secondly it is because people are paying it. Not me lol. Couldn't be happier with my set up and that's all that matters.

I for one switched because I couldn't make them work for me. I am sure it was something I was doing wrong. I switched out of pure desperation to find a tank that wouldn't flood. I had the protank mini 2, protank mini 3, and protank aero. I am positive that not all of them were bad, so it was me. I picked up a Aspire ET-S and it worked great. I eventually got a full size Nautilus and never looked back.

I am currently using a Joyetech Delta 19. I am loving it, so far, the coils are much more expensive than the Nautilus. I am hesitant to recommend it to anyone because I don't know how long the coils will hold up.

I am hoping Kangar will come up with a new tank that will fit me so I can try them again. I like the look of the new coils, but don't want sub-ohm or such a large tank.

Not to mention the Full Size Davides are only $14 at Sweet-Vapes right now. I have yet to have one flood one or even have it gurgle except after hunting in sub freezing temps and then getting back into my heated car. There is no tank I know of that will not flood with that happens or you have quick altitude changes of ~1500ft or more.

Durability, flavor, and cost... take your pick (or all three) :)

I regularly use KPT2 (with air-flow bases), AeroTanks, KPT3-minis, and yes... Nautilus.

Price:

You can buy two KPT2 for the price of a Nautilus and have money left over for air-flow bases or a 5-pack of coils.

All of my AeroTanks were < $15 too, so still half the price of a Nautilus

Coils for the Kangers (BCC/BDC) run 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of Aspire BDC or BVC coils

Longevity:

Coils for the Nautilus last a bit longer for me, maybe 10-15ml of juice longer, but given they cost 3x more on average, there is zero cost advantage to the Nautilus.

You also hear VERY often about people breaking the glass of a Nautilus... more often than Kanger, and replacement Nautilus glass is more expensive than Kanger... but Nautilus also offers a caged glass and SS tank options too. Kanger has SS tanks available, but for some reason they are not very popular.

Flavor:

I rank them for flavor in this order: Nautilus > AeroTank > KPT3-mini > KPT2 -- Once you add an air-flow base to the KPT2, there is little difference between the KPT2 and AeroTank, but the AeroTank still has a tiny advantage because of the dual-coil.

Some of my flavors taste horrid in the Nautilus, but are excellent in the KPT2... and the reverse is also found on other flavors, so for me, I use them all, and have specific flavors for specific tanks :)

Some of my flavors taste horrid in the Nautilus, but are excellent in the KPT2... and the reverse is also found on other flavors, so for me, I use them all, and have specific flavors for specific tanks :)

This is another strange thing about flavor/heat/airflow make it hard to find the right combination for yourself. I have found that if you change any one of the 3 it can drastically change your perception of the juice. When I took a juice I love and tried to run it in an RTA it tasted terrible(to me)! I can totally understand why bcartervol98 likes the single coil/davide combination, because it produces the correct combination for him. I have had juices that I tried in the store that worked great in the little iClear16s but tasted terrible in the Nautilus.

Then there are even more considerations. I bought the Delta 19 because it's looks and size. I don't like the looks of the full size Nautilus on my iStick, and the mini didn't hold enough juice.

I think all of these variables is what makes vaping far superior to smoking. Sure you can buy different brands of cigarettes, but that is all you can change. With vaping, you can change it all! The guy with a eGo twist and a plastic clearomizer can be just as satisfied with his vape as the guy with a 200 watt, quad coil dripper!

Brian, they sell both single and dual coil versions of the Nautilus, and the mini is a single coil. I'm not really a dual coil person. At least the one dual coil I tried, the vape was very warm - I mean I could feel the heat of the vape, where even if I have a single coil tuned to the 1.6 or 1.8 resistance the vape isn't hot like that.

I may try out another original Davide. Took me a just a couple of minutes of searching before I found a couple of places that stock the original single coil version in addition to the Aspire BDC version. Most places just sell the dual coil version now. My only hesitation with that is the drip tip. Maybe the fitting wasn't machined well on mine, but now that a year and half has gone by, the drip tip comes out VERY easily. As in, I've been vaping while walking, and ended up with the drip tip in my mouth when the Davide is not, just from the normal motion of walking - which I don't have that problem with the drip tips on the KPT, and other 510 drip tips are just as loose. Even though I don't make a habit out of removing the drip tip, it's almost like the fitting inside the top has been worn down.

Brian, they sell both single and dual coil versions of the Nautilus, and the mini is a single coil. I'm not really a dual coil person. At least the one dual coil I tried, the vape was very warm - I mean I could feel the heat of the vape, where even if I have a single coil tuned to the 1.6 or 1.8 resistance the vape isn't hot like that.

I may try out another original Davide. Took me a just a couple of minutes of searching before I found a couple of places that stock the original single coil version in addition to the Aspire BDC version. Most places just sell the dual coil version now. My only hesitation with that is the drip tip. Maybe the fitting wasn't machined well on mine, but now that a year and half has gone by, the drip tip comes out VERY easily. As in, I've been vaping while walking, and ended up with the drip tip in my mouth when the Davide is not, just from the normal motion of walking - which I don't have that problem with the drip tips on the KPT, and other 510 drip tips are just as loose. Even though I don't make a habit out of removing the drip tip, it's almost like the fitting inside the top has been worn down.

The dual coil model is fine, just toss the dual coils and screw in a single. Its that easy. No modifications needed. Its funny my wife commented last night on how much tighter the drip tips fit in the Davide than the KPT 2s we had that I gave to co-workers. That was her issue with them. I find the Davide keeps the drip tip on even when hunting and it is in my pocket and I have walked as much as 7-8 miles in a day.

Edited by bcartervol98

I thought the Davide had to have a small grommet or something removed from the center tube to make them work with Kanger coils? At least that is what I've seen on Sweet-vapes and other sites' disclaimers.... I've thought about getting a pair to try, but haven't pulled that trigger yet.

As for tight drip-tips, I've only had one Kanger tip "fall" off (was in my jacket pocket)... and it was from a KPT3-mini. I have a couple of my KPT2's that pretty much require a pair of pliers and a crowbar to get them loose from the tank :) I think they are newer models with better/thicker o-rings?

Mainly referring to plastic and ceramic drip tips not the ones that came with the tanks. Davide Minis are known to have loose drop tips but that has not been my experience with the full size. As far as needing modification for single coils I am not sure but no three came with dual coils and all I did was replace the dual with a single. Another advantage over standard KPT 2 is the draw is more easily affected by the beauty ring. I never got used to the KPT aero bases they seemed to need more cleaning and maintenance than I am willing to do lol.

Brian, I actually just use the Davide beauty ring with the KPT 2s as well. Its the very same ring that comes with the 2s. At least, the one I'm currently using came out of a KPT package - I always used the one from the Davide package before, never bothered pulling the ones out of the KPT packages, then stopped using it when I got the VTR because it didn't really fit well. When I got the Zmax, turns out I put the beauty ring away and I didn't think to look there, so I pulled this one out of the KPT package.

I thought the Davide had to have a small grommet or something removed from the center tube to make them work with Kanger coils? At least that is what I've seen on Sweet-vapes and other sites' disclaimers.... I've thought about getting a pair to try, but haven't pulled that trigger yet.

As for tight drip-tips, I've only had one Kanger tip "fall" off (was in my jacket pocket)... and it was from a KPT3-mini. I have a couple of my KPT2's that pretty much require a pair of pliers and a crowbar to get them loose from the tank :) I think they are newer models with better/thicker o-rings?

If I remember correctly, the new full sized Davides have an extra part to the bottom. Used as is, it takes the Aspire coils. Take the top part of the whole bottom assembly and you can use the regular single KPT coils.

As for the Aspire Nautilus mini, they come with single coils but they're built vertically so you have a BVC (bottom vertical coil). These vertical coils can also be used in the full sized Nautilus tanks. For me, the vertical coil seems to give a better flavor and lasts longer with the dark, sweet juice I use in them. It's the closest I've found to the HH.357 atomizers I use, not quite as good but close. So far, the coils are lasting at least two - three weeks but then I don't use them all the time.

Like everything else with vaping, you may like them better or you may not. YMMV. :)

Tam my Davides have a two part bottom but KPT aingle coils fit perfectly without removing it. These are the new ones I just got the wife two more yesterday in the mail. All I did was take out the dual and pop in a single not sure why the two piece bottom.

Tam my Davides have a two part bottom but KPT aingle coils fit perfectly without removing it. These are the new ones I just got the wife two more yesterday in the mail. All I did was take out the dual and pop in a single not sure why the two piece bottom.

That's interesting, B. Thanks for the heads up on the bottom part of the Davide. Wonder why Anyvape made such a big deal of it when they changed the so-called design? Does a KPT coil fit the bottom one?

Brian, just wondering, if you are using the new Aspire Davides - the dual coils with a single coil, is it any different from an original Davide? Any better or worse? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do here, if I'm going to try another Davide tank, try a full sized Nautilus (although god, the cost of those coils will HURT - I had to run to a B&M for Kanger coils today, and thanks to B&M mark up prices, paid $20 for what they package as a 10 pack (packaged that way themselves, and I think they are knock offs to boot; I should have just taken the 5 pack for $10, but I didn't find out the price until the guy was ringing me up - he didn't know and as he was ringing me up asked another guy - and then ordered another one or two 5 packs off 101vape.com where it's something like $5 a pack and $2 shipping).

Since you have both, I just wanted your opinion. The B&M I went to today (the only one in the area that's open on Sundays, and the only one that's not completely out of our way except for the massively overpriced one (because they pay 4 grand for rent because they rented a huge space - used to be a UPS store - on mall property, and they aren't using half of it, I don't think). One of my juice flavors I get there for a semi-reasonable price, but that's generally the only reason I go in there. There are a bunch of cloud chasers in there constantly, and opening the door was like walking into a fog bank today, since there were about six of them sitting around a table rebuilding coils. And when I asked him about the Nautilus (which they only had the dual coil version of, not the single coil), one of the first advantages he listed was vapor production. GAH! Vapor gets on certain members of my family's nerves (kids and some others who don't smoke, or use e-cigs) and I'm not a cloud chaser, I could care less about vapor production, as long as I get my nic and my flavor I'm good.

Spider my Davides come equipped with a dual coil so they are the new ones and a single coil KPT fits fine. I tried the dual that came with it but for me the flavor is better with standard KPT single coils.

That's interesting, B. Thanks for the heads up on the bottom part of the Davide. Wonder why Anyvape made such a big deal of it when they changed the so-called design? Does a KPT coil fit the bottom one?

I have never tried the next time I change a coil I will check it out. I only realized the base was two part when I tried to take one of the dual coils out and it came apart in a different place lol.

Now that I think about it the coil screws through the top piece into the bottom part of the base so even more confused why the two piece base. Both the aingle and dual coils fit through the top part and screw into the bottom piece.

Maybe removing that part allows use of the old short stem coils?

I used to enjoy my mini KPT2, but never liked the full size KPT2 because of flooding. What I didn't like was how fast I went through coils. I bought an Aerotank V2, and the enclosed dual coils last so much longer! Instead of a single coil lasting 3 days, I've had the enclosed dual coils last 3 weeks. I'm saving crazy money; I buy all my vaping supplies, and ejuice online. I've never had any flooding problems with my Aerotanks, and the same is true of the mini Aerotanks. I'm not knocking the Nautilus Aspire; it's a great tank, but the coils are more expensive. I'm on a budget, and have to consider that, or I'd have ordered the Atlantis tank.

I have never tried the next time I change a coil I will check it out. I only realized the base was two part when I tried to take one of the dual coils out and it came apart in a different place lol.

Now that I think about it the coil screws through the top piece into the bottom part of the base so even more confused why the two piece base. Both the aingle and dual coils fit through the top part and screw into the bottom piece.

Maybe removing that part allows use of the old short stem coils?

I think the two part bottom base was so you could use the Aspire coils. Taking the top part off allowed you to use KPT coils. That was the story anyway.... :)

Spider my Davides come equipped with a dual coil so they are the new ones and a single coil KPT fits fine. I tried the dual that came with it but for me the flavor is better with standard KPT single coils.

Thanks, Brian. I'm going to see if I can get to B&M this week in the area that sells both of them, check the resistance on getting the drip tip on and off, maybe compare the old and the new as far as the drip tip goes - if the factory drip tips are anything like mine was when I got it, it's a deal breaker, because of increased looseness I have with it now - with the factory drip tip or other drip tips, although there is more resistance pulling a drip tip manufactured somewhere else, like the ones I got from Empire Mods (love those, BTW). But if there is no difference between the two if you operate the second one in single coil mode. Ideally, if I go with a Davide, I'd love to be able to find the larger (well, longer) glass tube that is SUPPOSED to available to increase the capacity, but I can't find it anywhere, so far. Was THINKING about the Aspire Vivi Nova S, which is a BVC, but frankly, trying a new tank, with the more expensive vertical coild, for just an extra 1/2 a ml isn't worth it, even if the tank is only $9.00 @ Sweet Vapes

I used to enjoy my mini KPT2, but never liked the full size KPT2 because of flooding. What I didn't like was how fast I went through coils. I bought an Aerotank V2, and the enclosed dual coils last so much longer! Instead of a single coil lasting 3 days, I've had the enclosed dual coils last 3 weeks. I'm saving crazy money; I buy all my vaping supplies, and ejuice online. I've never had any flooding problems with my Aerotanks, and the same is true of the mini Aerotanks. I'm not knocking the Nautilus Aspire; it's a great tank, but the coils are more expensive. I'm on a budget, and have to consider that, or I'd have ordered the Atlantis tank.

Starre, how fast you go through coils will GREATLY depend on what juice you are using. The rule of thumb is the sweeter the juice, the quicker you will go through coils because they get gunked up. While I LOVED the VT Poppin' Pineapple, I burned through coils in nothing flat with that juice. And I could tell it was going to happen. Not long before the coil would just up and stop working, the resistance reading would go all funky - like telling me there was a resistance of anywhere from 3 - 5 ohms (really), and then soon, if I didn't change the coil soon enough, the coil would just completely stop working - wouldn't get any of the other signs that the coil needed to be replaced, like if the taste changes, although I would get the situation where the vape lacked any power or oomph behind it....that was another signal the coil was going out.

Spydre, I had a couple of loose drip-tips, and realized I had a bag full of o-rings (that came with something I bought months ago). A few minutes ago, I pulled the old o-rings from those two loose tips, and popped on a fresh one... night-and-day difference! I wish I had remembered those o-rings months ago...

If you have thinner or worn drip-tip o-rings, it would be worthwhile to snag a bag of o-rings, even if from the local hardware store.

Yes, some eliquids are coil killers. I've been vaping several years and even Halo Belgian Cocoa doesn't kill the enclosed coils as quickly as both single coils, and non-enclosed dual coils. I've also found the coils with two large holes are superior to the four small hole coils; at least for me.

BTW, rip trippers has beautiful and simple rebuild video for the nautilus stock coils where he converts it to a single coil all without disassembling the coil housing. I havent tried it yet because I still have a supply of stock coils but I'll be checking it out when it comes time to replace them.

Edited by Bebop