General question about coils

Mplough

I've been screwing around for a little over a month with vaping. I'm a cigar smoker so I was looking for some decent flavor and some big clouds. Long story short I now have a DOVPO gen 2 and am using a stock Nautilus. I am looking to upgrade the tank and need a basic understanding of coils. Right now I have observed that my Nautilus vapes pretty good at 12 watts, if I step it up to 18 watts I get a lot warmer flavor, more cloud but I have to vape really fast or It'll burn. My stock coils says 1.7 ohms.

My question is, will getting a re-buildable tank allow me to stay at a higher wattage without getting the burnt popcorn taste? If there is a thread addressing this already I have missed it.

Suggestions?

Thanks

It's likely not the coil... it's probably the juice. Some juices just don't handle high Wattages very well. The stock Nautilus is a great tank, and I vape mine between 10 and 15W for my preferred juices (usually 10-12W). Anything beyond 15W, and my juices taste like garbage, regardless of device.

If you're after more cloud, increase your VG content by adding a few drops to the tank, or buying higher VG juices, but be aware that few "tanks" can handle more than 70% VG (some can't handle more than 50% VG) without clogging up (slow wicking / poor wicking), which will burn your juices too. Once you burn a juice in a tank, you pretty much have to dump the juice, clean the tank, and start with a fresh coil... else the flavor of "burn" will stay for a long time.

I've heard a lot of people taking Nautilus tanks to 20W, 30W, 50W, etc.... but every time I hear someone doing it to those extremes, they all say the same thing... burnt juice and/or fried coils... The stock coils are just not built to handle that much power... and neither are most juices!

An RDA may be what you're looking for... but a rebuildable tank (RTA), such as a Kayfun/Russian/Orchid (to me) seem to operate best in the 1.2-1.8 Ohm ranges anyway, so that puts you right back where you were with Wattage limits, although the flavors tend to be better through an RTA than a standard tank... :) RTA's are for flavor-chasers... RDA's are for cloud-chasers... So, it boils down to what YOU want out of the vape... warm? go lower Ohms... clouds? go higher VG and/or switch to RDA... but if you move to ANY rebuildable, please, please, please, do your research here and on youtube to understand what you're doing... SAFETY FIRST... buy and USE an Ohm-meter, buy quality (high-drain/high-Amp) batteries, and use quality devices!!

Earthling is correct. I tried everything to get my nautilus to get to the high wattage that I read about and all I get is burnt tastes. I have used high VG juice and they just don't wick fast enough on the stock coils.

I don't know much about RTA's, they are something I am thinking about getting into.

I do think there is another option but I am just going by the advertisements, I have never tried them. The new Aspire Atlantis, and the Stratos by Council of Vapor are suppose to be a higher flow sub-ohm tanks with replaceable coils. I think Kanger makes one too, but I am not positive. Edit: yes, Kanger is building a unique one called the Subtank with both coils and rebuildable!

These will require a mechanical mod, or a Variable Voltage APV that is capable of sub-ohming.

I still don't know alot about these options, but they are out there!

Edited by jasonculp

Thanks for the responses. I am using Efest 2500mAh batteries, 18650, 35A high drain. I did some research on the Atlantis and it seems to be the best of both worlds, to a point and I think I fall into that category. The reviewer was using 30PG/70VG and was pretty please with its performance. Currently I'm using 50/50 juice. I'm looking to order some custom juice, I figure I'll call the vendor instead of blind ordering.

The only review I have found on the Stratos didn't give it a good one, stating that the juice was burning. I'll continue to look.

Thanks for the assistance.

Thanks for the responses. I am using Efest 2500mAh batteries, 18650, 35A high drain. I did some research on the Atlantis and it seems to be the best of both worlds, to a point and I think I fall into that category. The reviewer was using 30PG/70VG and was pretty please with its performance. Currently I'm using 50/50 juice. I'm looking to order some custom juice, I figure I'll call the vendor instead of blind ordering.

The only review I have found on the Stratos didn't give it a good one, stating that the juice was burning. I'll continue to look.

Thanks for the assistance.

The more I read about the Stratos, I think you are correct. It to me looks like a Nautilus with a sub-ohm coil. I do like the looks of the Subtank. They have a replicable coil, and a build-deck.

I really only use Nautilus, mini, and standard as tanks. Tobh, and 454 Bigblock on my 4nine for dripping. I really thinking about getting an RTA and a regulated box mod that will go down to .5 and 30 - 50 watts. Overall I am satisfied with my iSticks and Nautilus, I just want other options.

Just want to put in a plug for Rip Trippers single micro coil rebuild of the nautilus coils. I've seen a couple different rebuilds of this dual coil but what I like about the single coil rebuild is you don't have to disassemble the whole coil housing to rebuild it. It's a much simpler build and Rip says it out performs the stock dual coil. Look for it on YouTube. I'm gonna try it later today.

Just want to put in a plug for Rip Trippers single micro coil rebuild of the nautilus coils. I've seen a couple different rebuilds of this dual coil but what I like about the single coil rebuild is you don't have to disassemble the whole coil housing to rebuild it. It's a much simpler build and Rip says it out performs the stock dual coil. Look for it on YouTube. I'm gonna try it later today.

I tried my first Nautilus rebuild last night. I didn't watch a video. It was a miserable failure! I tried to use a vertical coil and wick it with rayon. My juice just ran down the air hole...lol I guess I need to jump on youtube and watch some videos!

I think this is why I have been looking at the RTA's lately. I really want something small, like between a Mini and Full size Nautilus, descent capacity, and good airflow. I would like something that can do dual coil/sub ohm, I don't know if this is something I want, but I would like the option. I have been reading up on all the Kayfun, Orchid, Erl, Fogger, etc. There are so many opinions, ideas, and versions to choose from, my head is swimming!

Let me chime back in on the RTAs... I've tried sub-ohm on my Russian 91%, and the flavor was dismal (and hot, with dry-hits)... Seriously, I find builds on my Russian ~ 1.4 Ohm to be perfect blend for flavor, vapor, and warmth. I use Organic Japanese cotton, and have the air-flow slightly restricted (to encourage better wicking / better vacuum pressure), and I've not had any complaints yet :)

I use my Russians on Mech Mod, as well as my MVP... and I find 3.8 - 4.0V to be the sweet-spot for best vape (using 1.4 Ohm coil)... the flavor is outstanding with those settings, and when you use coils above 1.2 Ohm, most any regulated Mod will function perfectly with them. The MVP will fire coils down to 0.8 Ohm, but above 1.2 Ohm and you get better performance.

Let me chime back in on the RTAs... I've tried sub-ohm on my Russian 91%, and the flavor was dismal (and hot, with dry-hits)... Seriously, I find builds on my Russian ~ 1.4 Ohm to be perfect blend for flavor, vapor, and warmth. I use Organic Japanese cotton, and have the air-flow slightly restricted (to encourage better wicking / better vacuum pressure), and I've not had any complaints yet :)

I use my Russians on Mech Mod, as well as my MVP... and I find 3.8 - 4.0V to be the sweet-spot for best vape (using 1.4 Ohm coil)... the flavor is outstanding with those settings, and when you use coils above 1.2 Ohm, most any regulated Mod will function perfectly with them. The MVP will fire coils down to 0.8 Ohm, but above 1.2 Ohm and you get better performance.

I don't mind the 1.2 and up builds, whatever works best! I suspect from what you are saying airflow and the juice have much to do with the flavor, and overall performance. I guess my confusion comes from all the choices of RTA's. I am normally a mouth to lung vapor. I like an open airy draw. (I think this is why I can't keep Kanger products from flooding on me, and I am right on the edge of flooding my Aspires also) I guess I need to start a new thread about the different opinions of RTAs there is so many choices. I know they mostly all work off of the same principle, but each has a little different features.

Edit: I said mouth to lung, I mean straight to lung...I don't know what the correct term for that is. I do a slight mouth to lung at times, but generally straight to lung. It is strange since my analog style was totally mouth to lung.

Edited by jasonculp

Edit: I said mouth to lung, I mean straight to lung...I don't know what the correct term for that is. I do a slight mouth to lung at times, but generally straight to lung. It is strange since my analog style was totally mouth to lung.

Well heck... I am now sitting here very green. I can't figure out how I vape...lol It seems like a combination of the two. All I know is I have made myself sick trying to decide...lol

Well as a cigar smoker I pull into the cheek and let it back out. There is no inhaling, unless you have a desire to see last nights dinner again or are smoking machine rolled cigars. For cigar smokers it's about the taste, aroma, etc. I'm heading up to West Virginia this week for Thanksgiving and found what looks to be a rather good vape shope. We shall see.....