Hubby needs help with drippers

mkauthen

Ok, so I have no wish to delve into the world of dripping right now, but hubby wants to. So, in order to help him, I am coming to you all with his questions.

First off, he has a Provari. Is it possible to make it into a dripping device (different batteries or something?) Or does he need a secondary device?

Next, what is a good (not expensive) RDA? Now here is where his questions start to throw me for a loop. Is there a site that can explain in detail what he needs? (wire gauge, wick types, etc) If not, can someone spell it out for him?

I tried to look at the stuff with him, and it is all greek to me....

So, since you all seem to know everything about everything, I'm looking to you for help. What should he invest in, what does he need to know, etc.

Thanks,

Michelle

Can he drip with a Provari? Yes he just needs to stay with in the min ohms of that device. Though I don't have one I can not say for sure, but 1.2 ohm or above builds would work just fine. If he is wanting to Sub Ohm (Below .9 ohm) then he would want a mechanical MOD with good batteries. I recommend Sony vtc 4s or 5s.

He must have a quality OHM reader or Multimeter to test OHMs.

RDAs are a mater of debate. I recommend a TOBH, Doge, or Patriot for a starter. These all have good building platforms.

Wire... Wicking it is all debatable.

Wire: I would go with 30ga, 20ga, 24ga, 26ga, to start with. Temco will give your best deal in bulk wire. I would go no less than 50ft of each.

Wick: I would go with Organic Cotton. it is easy to pickup at any Walmart, Walgreens, CVC. Japanese Cotton is better, but can be harder to get and more expensive.

A good Butane mini torch is optional but recommended, especially if he's going to build micro or nano coils. Another optional thing would be a pair of tweezers or needle nosed pliers with insulated handles.

The recommendation that Comp made for a quality OHM reader or multimeter can't be repeated enough. This one is NOT an option. It's a necessity for safety's sake.

All good suggestions above...

I'll toss in the Magma as a good starter RDA... It has a deep juice-well (less mess), as well as a stable (and forgiving) platform for building single or dual-coil configurations, and it has adjustable airflow.

Things to mention about RDAs... and these are just my opinions and observations...

• You will use (exponentially) more juice than vaping from a tank (i.e. more juice expenses)
  • You WILL require lower Nicotine levels with an RDA than you use in your tanks (extra juice costs)
  • You will "want" a Mech MOD or two as you try lower-ohm builds (and yes, you eventually will with an RDA)
  • Buying resistance wires (different gauges), cutters, mandrels (something to wrap wire on), wick (silica, cotton, rayon, etc), and resistance meter are all additional expenses UP FRONT

So, buying a $15-30 RDA is cheap, but getting all the necessary equipment to properly use it can set you back $50-150! Again, that is generally an expense you only have to bear once, but I feel it should be pointed out for anyone starting out with their first RDA.

My first RDA set me back $23, and even though I already owned Mech MODs (and batteries/charger), an Ohm-meter, cutters, mandrels (drill-bits or other known-size rods), and a torch... I still spent an additional $50 on different gauges of Kanthal and a big bag of Japanese Cotton (enough to last for years).

Also, my first week "dripping" added in the extra expense of different flavor/nic-level juices (six bottles), and I vaped roughly 60ml the first week, alone (trying to nail-down new flavor preferences and coil-build preferences)... on top of my usual 18-22ml per week of tank vaping! So, one tiny, inexpensive RDA set me back $150 in total costs to get "going", and I added the extra expense of increasing my juice costs by 200% per week, minimum....

Yes, the flavor and vapor production are amazing from my Magma (like a good pipe or cigar), but I feel everyone wanting to drip should be aware of the initial, up-front expenses, as well as the increase in juices expenses you will incur, weekly.

NOW, an alternative would be a Kayfun Lite Plus or Russian 91%. Both RTAs can be found in quality clones for $20-45, still will allow him to build a coil to suit his needs, use wick of his choice, the flavor is still amazing (like a dripper), but you use less juice than a dripper, although still more than a KPT2 :) If I only use my KPT2s all week, I use ~20ml of juice... If I only use my Russian 91%, I use ~25ml of juice... if I only use my Magma, I use between 60ml and 90ml of juice! Yes, for a Kayfun-style RTA, you still have to have a meter, wire, wick, etc... but juice expenses will be lower... and RTAs typically perform best with coil builds > 1.0 Ohm, so there is no "need" for a Mech MOD... the ProVari (or most any regulated device) will suffice.

out of all the RDAs I have had, I would say the stillare is probably the easiest and best I've worked with (all opinion of course). Like comp said, you can drip with a provari, but it leaves you with fewer options because you have to build at 1.2 or higher. A mech mod would probably be the way to go for dripping (also opinion)

Smoktech magneto

Sony vtc 4's or 5's
Igo RDA (of some sort. There are plenty)
26 or 28g kanthal
Organic cotton balls

Reasonably priced mod, good starting atomizers that aren't expensive, correct batteries, and a good starting point on wire gauge.

This way if he decides he's not into dripping, he won't have dumped insane amounts of money into it.

• You will use (exponentially) more juice than vaping from a tank (i.e. more juice expenses)

I never had that issue. I went through about 5-6ml a day with my tanks and I still do that in my drippers. Occasionally I'll go through 8-9, but that's only on rough days.

Edited by Bushwick

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Charles,the stillare is a great starter RDA.it has great air flow and its very simple to build on.I have a dual micro coil set up on mine now reading at about 0.2 ohms.its a little warm for my taste but I'm getting great flavor.