breaking in an atomizer

I see alot of topics, particularly from people new to vaping, about troubles getting a singed taste/burning atomizer wicks. I was similarly frustrated until I learned to break a fresh one.

using a KPT3 with a 1.5ohm dual coil, I gradually season it by using the lowest available voltage on my evod initially and giving it more juice until the output's maxed. Since I started doing that I haven't tasted burning wick and vapor quality seems significantly improved.

Anybody else do anything asking these lines?

I guess I am similar. I use a nautilus with a vertical coils. I do about 4 or 5 hits on it without hitting the button. I then let it sit for a few minutes before I start using it. I turn my wattage down for a while, but I am back up to 11 by the end of the day!

On all of my tanks I just let them sit for a few minutes to give the wick time to soak up the juice. Then, I do a few powerless draws and go to town from there. Never get a burned flavor. :)

I started out doing pretty much that Tam but wickburn still was a issue til i started breaking them in. Any idea how much of a difference the coil's ohm would make in regards?

Not sure if it's even relevant but knowledge is power lol

In my KPT2, Anyvape Davide and Davide minis I use a 1.8 ohm coil. For bakery flavors I go with 4.0v, fruit flavors are at 3.6 - 3.8v. I've used 2.0 ohm coils but it went through my batteries too fast. :)

Same here Tam I always use 1.8 when it's a single coil

Do you use the same ohm for dual coils? I'm still not entirely clear on how ohm translates into actual vaping experience[emoji53]

Single or dual coil I always use 1.8 ohms. The only time I use anything different, it's in my HH.357. Those are all 2.0 ohms.

The 1.8 is just my personal preference, it seems to be a good middle ground. The 1.5 ohm is too warm for me, even at 3.3v, which is the lowest my variable voltage devices go. At 1.8 ohms, it seems best around 3.7 - 4.0v for most juices but I have the option to go lower if the juice calls for it.

Plus, at higher resistances, my battery drains faster due to needing a higher voltage to heat the coils.

Like anything else in vaping, what resistance coil you use is subjective, and everyone's experience with them is different. :)

On all of my tanks I just let them sit for a few minutes to give the wick time to soak up the juice. Then, I do a few powerless draws and go to town from there. Never get a burned flavor. :)

That is basically what I do but rarely do any powerless draws but then again I fill all my tanks at once so other than the one I am using they sit up to a week before I use some of them. Even with the VG liquid I use it seems 2-3 minutes is long enough to get it going.

I too use 1.8ohm coils exclusively and it is single coils only for me. Simplicity, value and price override any potential benefit of dual coils for me.

Plus, at higher resistances, my battery drains faster due to needing a higher voltage to heat the coils.

Like anything else in vaping, what resistance coil you use is subjective, and everyone's experience with them is different. :)

<QUICK DERAIL ALERT>

I am having trouble with this! It seems to be true for me too on my Variable Voltage rigs, but not as bad on Variable Wattage. I understand the math, if you have a higher resistance coil, it uses less wattage/amperage. This should result in lower battery use. This isn't always the case Why is that? Is it the fact we have to hold the button down longer to get the desired heat?

Edit: Never mind, I answered my own question....with a VV you increase the Voltage, which raises your power usage...duh.

<BACK ON TRACK>

This is one of the reasons I prefer to use a Variable Wattage battery for my ADV. It really does not change no matter what coil I use.

Edited by jasonculp

I see alot of topics, particularly from people new to vaping, about troubles getting a singed taste/burning atomizer wicks. I was similarly frustrated until I learned to break a fresh one.

using a KPT3 with a 1.5ohm dual coil, I gradually season it by using the lowest available voltage on my evod initially and giving it more juice......

Anybody else do anything (along) these lines?

I do this too, although, I never max out my voltage and rarely go above 4.2. But I find a fresh coil puts out a lot of flavor and cloudage at minimum settings at first (I use 1.4 -1.6 ohm mostly in mini KPTs and mini Davides) and then as the coil ages I gradually increase the voltage. The same is roughly true with the nautilus - I start low and work my voltage up as the coil ages. Seems to work for me.

• 1 month later...