Best way to re-polish/ renew your mod?

I could give you a list of buffing compounds, wheel types, cork belts, scotchbrite belts and etc but first give alcohol a try. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc and the layer of oxidation that forms can be broken down with alcohol. Apparently it separates the hydrogen bonds of the oxidation type. Isopropyl has a substance that leaves a film. I use grain alcohol.

The thing is with brass and carbon steels is the layer of oxidation will build to the point that it begins to prevent corrosion. Trying to keep these polished is harder than forming a nice patina. If you want to protect it without a curing/hardening coating try renwax. It will actual build as you apply more coats. If the alcohol doesn't brighten it up as much as you want then you need to move to polishing. I used to be a polishing fool but I learned the oils in my skin are too corrosive to make it worth it. Patina vs no patina is an age old debate with advantages in both directions.

Your welcome. If it's just exterior and not threads or contacts it doesn't really matter. Brass is soft and very easy to polish. And yeah, it's bad when ur drinking your cleaner but I did this afternoon. Mellow cleaning.

Basically you want the least abrasive possible. Polishing softens crisp edges and prematurely ages machined figuring such as emblems.

Check out flitz or go to a marine store if you end up wanting a rag type brass cleaner. also if your into refinishing check out crocus cloth. If you get it break it in before using on your vaporizer.

When I get back from the shore I will post some pics of different levels of polish and even grit patterns if you are interested. Depending on the finish you want you néed to pick the right products and procedure.

I hope no one took me as trying to knock other people's ways. I have brasso too. When I was learning to make knives and restore/refinish knives of all steel types, including brass and nickle silver bolsters and gaurds I just found there are so many varying levels you can produce. Just trying to be of help. Happy memorial day.

14277617584_8c55c2e9de_b.jpg

image by Richstag, on Flickr

Here is a quick cell pic of the logo on my brass mech. Personally I like what the patina has done aesthetically. I would never polish this with my shop buffer and don't intend to use abrasive polishes either. Both would take away and the shop beffer could kill it. When using high speed buffers it takes a lot of know how to polish detail. The lift of the wheel can destroy contours.

For a quick polish I use Never-Dull wipes. Someone recommended Cape Cod Polish wipes which I haven't tried but I do have some coming to me to see which I like more.

I have a tube of Autosol metal polish on the way too which I will be using with a Dremel and pointed polishing bit to get the patina out of the logo. Autosol was recommended by the maker of a mod I have.

Edited by sparc

Really guy the best thing to clean brass ever would be Viniger.

I have heard this for taking off very thick old patina but I never tried it. I usually use vinegar for forcing patina's due to its acid content. Heating it helps form the patina faster.