Rebuilding coils need help

After doing a little reading about rebuilding coils, this sounds like something I want to try but don't understand a few things.

First off here's what I have.

Kanger tech mini pro tank 2

Itaste vv

I've ran 2.0 ohm coils at 3.3-3.5 volts and seem to like the results, although I haven't adjusted it much.

I'm wanting to rebuild with a 2.0 ohm coil and be able to run the same voltage I have been. I've also read that using cotton gives you more flavor and vapor? End results I'm looking for lots of flavor and vapor, not soo much with harsh throat hits. My juice is a 50/50 mix

As for the wire goes, what gauge do I need go achieve 2.0 ohms?

What's the difference between a micro and nano coil? And which one comes with my tank?

Why do I need a torch to burn the wire with once wrapped on the needle?

If there are any other basics I need to know before I try this, please let me know.

You can use any Guage wire to achieve a 2.0 coil, what will influence the ohms is how many wraps you do with your choice of wire. If your going to try and build one for a kpt mini I would recommend 28g or maybe 30g.

The reason you torch the wire after its wrapped is to help keep it together. Torching takes the springiness out and stiffens the wire so it keeps it's shape better.

The differences between macro, micro, nanotechnology and super nano is size or diameter of the coil. macro being largest, then micro, then nano, and super nano being the smallest. As far as actual dimension for each, i dont know the exact measurements.

I recommend using cotton it seems to give me the best flavor. Ekowool gives good flavor as well but is a little harder to find. Hemp supposedly is the best for flavor, but I personally haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it or not.

Hope this helps in some way.

The only thing I would change in that is the wire size, 28ga will not work well in a KPT head because of the number of wraps it would take to achieve a 2.2 coil. The 28ga would require at least 10 wraps and it would then be to big for the opening. Using 30-32 would be best for starting out. :)

Also before you even start make sure you have a multimeter to test ohms. Do not even consider sub ohm until you have been building coils for a few months and reading up on battery safety, this is a requirement not a suggestion. :)

Can you guys explaind the 7/6 or 8/7 etc... terminology? I get the number of wraps, but not sure what ppl meen when they use that ratio. Thanks

When you wrap a coil, there will be 1 more wrap on one side vs the other. If you wrap a coil, abd both leads are pointing down, there will be more wraps on top than if you had the leads pointing up. Make sense? Hope it helped

I think so... lol In my head I pictured it as the difference between haveing both lead pointing in the same direction or 1 up and 1 down. Thanks

And no, I'm not trying it yet... lol

Edited by fishguy1123

So, when someone say it's a 6 wrap on .... size bit or whatever, are they refering to the (most) number of wraps? Both leads faceing same direction and count the wraps on the oposite side as the leads are faceing?

Yes and no. Lol! I try to just list the bigger number. It's too confusing to always be saying, 6/5 or 12/11, and also because I sometimes do builds where the leads are opposing for certain devices. So, in closing, just take the larger number. When you do start building, get an ohms meter and a few different size rods or drill bits and just experiment with numbers of wraps on varying size rod and check em. You'll get the gist of just how much or little an extra wrap will change the ohms.

Yeah, ohm reader is a MUST. I'm a lil ways off from building coils right now, but wat to gain the info before I try. I get that it's still a lil tricky and take some time to get it down though. Just want to get started with the best info I can when I do. Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, ohm reader is a MUST. I'm a lil ways off from building coils right now, but wat to gain the info before I try. I get that it's still a lil tricky and take some time to get it down though. Just want to get started with the best info I can when I do. Thanks for the tips!

Fishguy, you are going about it the right way! I appreciate your search for knowledge before jumping into things. There are far too many people who want to put the cart before the horse. When your ready, we'll be here to help!

Well, why didn't you say so? When I was having all that trouble with the butane I would've bought you a whole case if you wanted. :D

Yeah, but you forget, I can't come out to CO till chain law season's over. Lol! Wish I could've came out to help ya though.

Yeah, but you forget, I can't come out to CO till chain law season's over. Lol! Wish I could've came out to help ya though.

Just teasing you, Josh, but I will be happy to buy you a drink (even a double), when you get out this way later this summer. :)

Just teasing you, Josh, but I will be happy to buy you a drink (even a double), when you get out this way later this summer. :)

Thanks! But we better just keep it a single, I'd like to have enough wits about me to process the words that come outta peoples mouths. Lol! :D

Thanks! But we better just keep it a single, I'd like to have enough wits about me to process the words that come outta peoples mouths. Lol! :D

If you're talking to me you might want to reconsider the double. Ask Troy. :evil:

I'm going to pick up a coil and mini torch after work today and attempt to make my first coil tonight.

Has anybody made a 2ish ohm coil for the kpt? I need to know how many wraps to make.

Also, if this could be answered one more time is appreciate it.. The higher ohm the less resistance and less power it needs correct?