Please store your juices away in a safe place....PLEASE!

Aquatroy

Very sad. But while his reaction, while genuine, and out of grief, asking to regulate e-juice like tobacco or alcohol is also out of hand. You leave a bottle of vitamins or Tylenol or anything else (those yummy calcium chews anyone? gummy vitamins?) where a dog could reach them, the same thing happens.

I don't understand why the vet didn't do a quick net search (all I had to do was enter nicotine poisoning treatment) to do a stomach lavage to absorb and get out the rest of the nicotine that was still in the dog's stomach that hadn't been instantly absorbed through the skin. All I had to do was look up nicotine poisoning treatment. First link was NIH's page, describing what will be happening, and second result was a wikipedia entry saying activated charcoal and then pumping the stomach was the standard treatment, and you would have to get A LOT of it to that much damage - 10 ml per kg of weight on a dog, so, say you have a 50 pound dog, that's, what, 50 mls of juice with an average of 1 mg of nic per ml, right? Or am I wrong on that, and it would be five HUNDRED mls of juice? Well, if you need 10 mg/kg of nicotine.....then it would have to be 500 mg of nicotine, right? Sorry, I'm doing my math out loud because my brain's still not working too well (therefore if necessary, someone can correct me), and I'm tired to boot from not sleeping well (which could have been the whole reason for the seizure to begin with).

Anyway, we take the same precautions with this as we do with everything we don't want our kids or pets to get into. Nothing is where my huge furbaby can get to it, unless he figures out how to open cabinets with magnetic closures on it on my computer hutch, or grows oposable thumbs and his paws reshape so that he could open the latch on my tackle box - it's like a tool box latch.

We found out with our last dog not to underestimate how high the dogs can get to get into stuff. Loth was....not that big, 35 pound dog. We thought there was no way she could reach the top of the old entertainment center....I mean, she would have to be not only standing on her back feet, but braced to keep herself up......and when my SO left a ziplock of his mother's home made beef jerky, that's exactly what Loth did when he put the bag on the entertainment center and left one day. Dodger's good about not getting things off the table, even though physically he COULD, but we don't leave things near the edge (where he wouldn't consider it wrong to lick it off the table), and we certainly don't leave things on the table overnight, just in case. If something needs to be left out of the cabinets or storage bins for whatever reason, and can't go on top of the fridge because of the heat that produces, then it goes in the microwave overnight. Well, except for fruit. Apples, oranges, bananas. He doesn't care about those until he sees you eating one, and then he's only interesting in the one you have in your hand.

Edit: I should make it clear, the only person in our house to ever have a drug - well, not toxicity situation in our house, but swallowing meds that weren't mine on accident - I went to grab Tylenol, and a, *ahem* adult housemate had his prescription meds in the same cabinet things like Tylenol, ibuprofen, etc., were, and I was talking and went to get two Tylenol, and that particular script was in white stock bottle....and I grabbed it and took 2.....realizing AFTER I took it that it was not Tylenol. I called poison control, and said it wasn't anything to be concerned about, because it wasn't an overdose or anything, but because of the dose, and I'd not taken it before, things would get....weird....perceptionally. And it did.

Edited by spydre