Proetus's DNA20 Build

Proetus

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Posted Image

All i have left is a few solder connections and to epoxy pieces into final places tomorrow night and come sat morning i should be the proud owner of a diy DNA20!

I think I might try my hand at building a dna 30 as soon as you can get them easier

I'm so gd irritated right now. I removed the 22awg wires from battery input to "attempt" to solder on some 20awg wires for the input from the battery, i can not solder these gd things on for the life of me. Either the tip on this thing is so gd horrible that it isn't heating things up properly or i just suck at soldering. I ordered new tips and a cleaner, gonna put this down before i break the dam thing.

Back to waiting for parts.

Functional test before final assembly! I upgraded the battery in and atty out wires to 20awg.

th_AC51051E-8EC2-4BA3-8405-6E6A86B93175-

Click for video

null_zpsf51029fa.jpg

The dog after listening to me swear for an hour!

A drop of superglue on the ribbon cable and we're mounting the cradle and top cap!

null_zpsb878aa51.jpg
null_zpsfd96b7e6.jpg
null_zps68ab4bfe.jpg

5 Min epoxy. Probably gonna sit till after dinner. I might even let it sit till tomorrow morning.

All the parts for the build are listed in the first post.

Looking good BD!

Where did you get the fire button?

I just got mine going today too! Still waiting for my screen cradle though... looks kinda funny with it just floating inside :rolleyes:
enepevu5.jpg
8ysy9ady.jpg

Edited by Proetus

All the parts for the build are listed in the first post.

Looking good BD!

Where did you get the fire button?

It's been in a parts box for a couple years, but I'm pretty sure it came from madvapes, they were about the only ones around back then. Oh, and thanks for the inspiration!

Alright all finished up! I am quite pleased with myself. Was a little challenging as it had been a long time since i soldered anything. Learned a few lessons along the way which will help immensely in the next builds. Quality Soldering station is a must, a standard $10 non adjustable iron probably wont cut it. Be careful around the ribbon cable. Try not to let it flop around too much. I didn't break mine but i was mindful of it at all times. Take your time with the cutouts! for the cradle i went at it a little haphazardly and you can tell if you look at the hole. The charging port came out much better imo. Next one will be a a 30 with a Lipo.

null_zps64b7712e.jpg
null_zps489e8f72.jpg
null_zps16d18605.jpg
null_zps80acb7bc.jpg

It's crammed in there pretty good. Tight fight for all the components. Scary part was having the ribbon cable laying precariously in there as the epoxy fro screen cradle dried.Then mounting the chip 180 on the back of the cradle with my popsicle stick!

Hey Proetus just one question, could you have mounted the top cap flush? Or would that have an effect on how it works? I don't understand electronics enough to know, but I keep seeing these box builds and I can't help but think I need to try one....

That is actually a chi you top cap. You can certainly use any 510 connection, there are quite the variety of them out there. Can actually see the threads in this picture. To me an adjustable pin is needed. Especially with side airflow atty's where air isn't required from the bottom, i like them to sit flush.

null_zps6e846f17.jpg

These connections are quite popular right now and seem fairly robust.

Mad Vapes Carries a large selection of 510's as well. However those are all softer metals and would probably strip after a bit with a ss atty being attatched to it. At the least the threads would get loose.