Proetus's DNA20 Build

Proetus

Gonna start this thread to document my DNA20 build. Hopefully i wont kill it! I have had my board for awhile. I just ordered the majority of my parts. I still have some switches and Screen cradle to get. But i'm holding out on those as there will be a coop for some DNA30's and hopefully some switches in the near future elsewhere.

Parts List

Hammond 1590BCB Cobalt Blue Aluminum Enclosure

5V Mini USB 1A Battery Charging Board

Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900Mah 2pk

1S2P 3.7V 18650 Holder Case with Build-in PCM

SS Chi-You Top Cap w/ Adjustable center pin

Parts to buy still

Screen Cradle

Misc Buttons - Fire and Wattage adjustment

Two questions.

First, Proteus, is the DNA just the chip or circuit board that goes into the mod? At least, that's what showed up when I did a search on it.

Actually, my second question I'll post in IMedic's rebuildable guide, as my question may already be answered in there.

• 3 weeks later...

So i have most of my parts needed in order to build my DNA20, so i figured i would get started! It is my first build so don't expect greatness! No need to list my parts as most of them are linked in many of the other posts. Sadly i didn't get to far. I have come to the realization that my cheap *** soldering iron isn't up to the task. I didn't have a problem soldering the pin on the top cap, my problem came when attempting to solder the negative to the stainless steel. Even with a a microtorch for additional heat it wasn't making a good bond and would come off with the slightest pressure once cooled. It could be my iron or that i couldn't find any flux. I will order some flux and a new iron and then see where it gets me. Once i realized i wasn't going to be able to do the top cap, i figured i would tin my wires and do the dna20 leads. Well i was having a problem even tinning the wires so i called it a night. I was able to get my top cap in, however slightly misaligned it may be and the positive wire on the pin. More updates to come once i get a new iron and the flux.

null_zps4cd3ea7f.jpg
null_zps4c979920.jpg
null_zps6e846f17.jpg

Picked up some helping hands on amazon, as the ones i made with clips, copper wire and solder fell apart! Some harris flux from airgas (thanks Mike!) and a new solder station from Hobbyking. Hopefully that will do the trick!

New Iron

Would have loved to get a Weller but the vape budget hands were going up and down! Hopefully that will do for me!

Small update!

I wasn't expecting my soldering iron until fri/sat so i have been procrastinating! Well it arrived today, so i figured i should get moving! I got the Fire button installed as well as the up/down wattage buttons. Pictures show a KFL on top. Never mind the tape, it's there so i don't scratch up the paint. You can ignore the busted *** unfinished wall in the background too, im in the basement!

Maybe more later, we'll see off to make some food.

null_zps0f1ed891.jpg

null_zpsb54b015a.jpg