What guage Kanthal wire to use? N00B help!

VaperKitty

Hey all,

Getting started rebuilding coils here and I'm so overwhelmed. What to use for wicks, what to use for coils, it's so much!! I want to use a regular old silica wick, but what is the difference in guage on the Kanthal wire? I'm lost. Can anybody give me a hand? I need to know what to buy! Thanks in advance!!

VaperKitty

Hey all,

Getting started rebuilding coils here and I'm so overwhelmed. What to use for wicks, what to use for coils, it's so much!! I want to use a regular old silica wick, but what is the difference in guage on the Kanthal wire? I'm lost. Can anybody give me a hand? I need to know what to buy! Thanks in advance!!

VaperKitty

Alot of help on you tube rebuilding coils

What RBA (Rebuildable Atomizer) do you have?

I stay away from fiberglass wicking. Other than that it really depends on the atomizer. Silica will work in 99.9% of the atomizers. Some people prefer cotton, and some use Stainless Steal Mesh. If your just starting I would recomend Silica for a tank and cotton for RDA (Rebuildable Drip Atomizer)

Being new to building coils I would suggest 32ga. But always, Always check the ohms with a multimeter before attaching it to your device. should read between 2 and 1.3 ohms

Wire gage numbers go from 32 being thin and 28 being thick. The lower the number, the thicker it gets. The thicker wire is best for Low ohms 1.00 or lower, the thiner gage is best for higher ohms 1.3 or higher.

As lanab8 said do a youtube search for.. Rebuilding a "your atomizer" (insert your brand atomizer in the quotes) and you will find info for rebuilding your atomizer.

Edited by Compenstine

I just started building too, I just built my first coil

I just used supplies from a kit a bought from a vape shop.

I'm planning on getting spools of wick and kanthal online in the near future

Igo-W

Dual Micro Coil

6/7 wraps with 28g kanthal

for my first build its okay. I'm not sure what ohms its running because unfortunately my crappy multimeter is well crappy lol

• 3 weeks later...

OK WHAT keeps the E-juice from flowing out the fill hole on the top when you tilt it to vape like that???

Any high viscous juice wont come out of the fill hole.

I'm using 50/50 pg/vg juice on my RSST right now with my fill hole not plugged and I have no leakage

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

What mod are you going to fire the rda with.

Without going crazy you can do a dual coil at 1 ohm, Each coil would be 2 ohms 28 gauge kanthal cotton wick. Use a 100% VG base e liquid.

Now if you want real big clouds, Big air holes and sub ohm builds will get you there. Zero nicotine and 100% VG liquid.

Are your battery's up to the task of going sub ohm? 30amp IMR's like Sony VTC4 or 5's, Efest purple, LG 30 amp

Before you jump into the sub ohm world you'll need to understand ohm's law. Or at least have a site to check your ohms against the amp draw under load the battery's will see. Here is one for you http://www.steam-engine.org/#main

Plenty of videos on sub ohm coil building out on you-tube

Edited by Scuba-Matt

• 3 weeks later...

What mod are you going to fire the rda with.

Without going crazy you can do a dual coil at 1 ohm, Each coil would be 2 ohms 28 gauge kanthal cotton wick. Use a 100% VG base e liquid.

Now if you want real big clouds, Big air holes and sub ohm builds will get you there. Zero nicotine and 100% VG liquid.

Are your battery's up to the task of going sub ohm? 30amp IMR's like Sony VTC4 or 5's, Efest purple, LG 30 amp 

Before you jump into the sub ohm world you'll need to understand ohm's law. Or at least have a site to check your ohms against the amp draw under load the battery's will see. Here is one for you http://www.steam-engine.org/#main

Plenty of videos on sub ohm coil building out on you-tube

There's also an app for android called Vapor's Toolbox in the google play store that does pretty much the same thing. :)