Mike, i needz help

Or any other experienced guitar player honestly. I used to play a lot of acoustic back in the day, i've owned several and always enjoyed it. But i haven't played much over the last 3 years or so, and it's something i'm looking to pick up again. However, i want to double the strings this time around. I remember playing a 12 string once and i was absolutely in LOVE with the sound it created. So, i need some suggestions on a good "starter" 12 string. I'd like it if it was acoustic/electric in case i ever decide i wanna plug in one day. My last 6 string was an Ovation and i loved the round back style and the sound it made was simply the best of any 6 string i've ever played. So i'm hoping their 12 string will be just as good.

http://www.amazon.com/Applause-Ovation-AE35-4-12-Strings-Acoustic/dp/B0002L51M4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374419908&sr=8-2&keywords=ovation+12+string

I know it's their lower end model, but not knowing whether or not i even still have the interest of playing anymore i'm wary of spending a few k on a higher end Ovation 12 string.

I guess some of my questions are, are these easy to tune, re-string, etc.? Are they user friendly basically. I was certainly never a great musician but i can hold my own, however after not playing for a few years it's safe to say i'll be a bit rusty for awhile.

On the other hand i found this one that gets better reviews than the Ovation, and for the cost looks almost too good to be true.

http://www.amazon.com/12-String-ACOUSTIC-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-Pro-Quality-Rosewood/dp/B001MXDQ6E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_1

So, help a brother out?

If you're not sure you want to play again (yeah, right....I know its killing you inside), then the El-Cheapo No-Name Craptastic Beginner's Wonderbox will do you just fine until you make the inevitable decision to return to where you belong, and buy the damn Ovation.

Honestly, if you can afford to drop the cash for the Ovation, you can afford an extra $150 to "see if you still like playing."

A cheapo 'try it and see' can be a double edged sword. It lowers your risk, but....it may not tune, or hold tune well, or it may be difficult or harder to play, or it may just not sound good. Any or all of these can make one think it is not for them.

My first guitar was a 12 string acoustic 'Framus', made in Germany and bought at a PX in 1971. I still have it. It has been a six string most of it's life, as I found in 12 string mode, it was pretty much just for strumming. And that 'strumming' is only effective on the downstroke as the pick never touches the top four smaller strings on an upstroke.

I've used the Framus to perform, and have kept it all these years because it is as well built as many guitars that cost much more. I wouldn't mind having a 12 and a 6, but if any 'picking' is to be done much, I find the dual octave sound of 12 string notes to get irritating.

As for tuning and stringing.......it's basically like doing two 6 strings at the same time. As for tuning, All strings are the same notes, the top four pairs being an octave apart, and the bottom two pairs being the same.

BTW, my advice for a try out is ALWAYS buy a quality instrument USED. Chances are you can get exactly what you paid for it if you sell.

But my hunch is that if you get a good 12, and once the thrill is gone, 9 times out of ten you will reach for your 6 string.

Edited by kerk

http://www.amazon.com/Oscar-Schmidt-OD312CE-12-Strings-Acoustic-Electric/dp/B005AT3E0O/ref=pd_cp_MI_1

honestly i have 3 of these and they play so well out of the box i couldnt believe it. I have them all tuned differently of course (one is an open D, one is in a G# tuning, and one standard) and for the price.. its well worth buying.

I think your best bet would be to find a guitar center though and try out a few of the cheaper ones and some of the used ones and see which one you like the best and go from there. but i would say start back with a 6 and then grab a 12 if you still like it and the fancy still strikes you as something you want to use and play with constantly.

The Pawn Shop is where you'll find my sweet Ovation (a nice one it was, very deep beautiful sound wihout having to hit the strings hard). It was one of the earliest Ovations out, fit my fingers to a Tee. Loved that thing. It sounded awesome with the ClawHammer? style, where the melody and base runs are played at the same time as the rhythm. Lot of great sounds, loved that style on that guitar.

My brother had the 12 string Takememi(sp) for rhythm mostly, but he could make it do things I never could.

My hubby played the Gibson and the Mandolin, a friend the banjo, etc...

They were all pawned at different dire times, .. except the Martin, which was given to a friend on his way to Nashville to cut an album. Best gift we ever gave.

Anyway, the point of my ramblings, is check out those Pawn Shops!! Try them out, see if the frets and neck are great... nothing worse than a bowed neck or stretched fret. Besides, maybe one of ours in one of your pawn shops in your area and could use a really good home. :D

Edited by Uma

I have an 80's Applause by Kaman 6 string I bought new and I play it more than I play my Martin .Mostly cause I don't like packin the Martin around .I have had several 12 strings and I am of the opinion they make a very nice second or third guitar but they are a pain to change strings on and tune.Well worth the effort on some songs though.The Ovation or an Epiphone 12 string would be good quality for a lower investment .http://www.acousticguitartalk.com/forums/

Edited by mcquinn

If you get the cheapo have a pro set it up. Worth the $$.

Clip on tuner for the headstock a must for 12 string and worth $25 as far as ease of use.

After you falk in love again. Get the real deal

think i'll probably end up just getting the Ovation, at the end of the day i know that's honestly what i want. those guitars have always just felt perfect in my hands. gonna go down to some local shops here soon and see what they have in stock :)