help me help a friend?

I have a friend. Experienced smoker. I've recently turned him to the e-cig.

He cannot take a puff without coughing. He does not do that with analogs. I've watched him and he doesn't appear to be doing anything unusual on the inhale. He just cannot take a drag without coughing. Tried different juices.

It's baffling. Any ideas?

Every one I know that smokes analogs that I have let try my e-cig has coughed like it is the harshest thing they have ever tried. I never experienced this either, but maybe still smoking analogs makes it seem harsher? I have wondered the same thing though, because it never did that to me.

Vaping isn't the same as smoking cigarettes. Have your friend take a drag into his mouth first, wait a second and then inhale. That might help. Otherwise, if that doesn't do it, he might be sensitive to the PG in the liquid. A higher ratio and/or 100% VG might work better if the first thing doesn't work. Good luck! I hope he gets off the analogs. :)

When I first tried it, I took a long hard drag like I was going out for a quick break with an analog. It may be- that you need to tell him to slowly vape, then inhale- like a hookah. Patient slow drags- he might be getting burnt harsh drags if he's trying to vape to quickly- I know when I rush I sometimes do it and its harsh on my throat. (Use to cough because of it)

If he's not taking hard drags, it most likely could be what others said- the higher pg isn't for him.

Yeah. It's weird. I never went through this

He appears to be taking a normal drag - brings it in to his mouth first neither too fast or too much but immediately rejects it on inhale.

Maybe try pg

Oh, and he is a menthol smoker but i didnt have any menthol if that means anything.

Yeah. It's weird. I never went through this

He appears to be taking a normal drag - brings it in to his mouth first neither too fast or too much but immediately rejects it on inhale.

Maybe try pg

Oh, and he is a menthol smoker but i didnt have any menthol if that means anything.

Some people react badly to PG so you might want to try something low in PG or 100% VG instead. It might also have been the flavor that didn't agree with him.

Edited by Tameiki

I hate to say it, but your friend might have a mild case of COPD or other problem that was "ignored" before now. I know I coughed like a son of a gun when I first switched over... had to take itty bitty puffs, hold it, let a bit out, inhale, then exhale. But I worked it baby and it didn't take long before I could handle an almost normal puff. A week or so after that I noticed my nightly wheezing had stopped, I could walk up hill without having to stop to rest as often, and so much more.

It wouldn't hurt to get checked... besides that, the health improvements will be "officially on record" too.

Lots of ex-smokers with COPD are now appointment free, with shocked Dr.'s fainted on floors.

Stopping the smoking is paramount and if Vaping is the only way that it can be conquered, then don't give up!

When I first started vaping I too had a hard time with certain flavors my lungs weren't used to, but after a small learning curve, now a walking fog machine!! If your using a VV you might try turning it down some, also try using a device that's more airy (protanks) than a tight draw(vivis).......

All great advice. Thank you to all. We're looking in to it. I think it's a combination of a lot of these and mostly maybe psychological. Well we're going to try and play around with flavors and mixes and see what we can do. He's willing to try. Plus he's motivated. Another friend has been off ciggys for almost 2 weeks now.

It's a regular epidemic, lol. Since my wife and I started almost 2 months ago now, we have recommended the e-cig to 13 people, all friends and acquaintances. Of those 13 over half are full vapers now, others have cut way back and only one has fully reverted back to cigs.

I too coughed like that my first day or so. All I could hit was menthol. After a day or so the cough went away and I was able to hit different flavors. After a week I could hit anything and as much as I wanted. Just have him take it slow and let his lungs get used to it for a few days................

I've only been a couple weeks not smoking , but my "chronic" cough has stopped, I'm not wheezing at all, I'm able to go up and down stairs without getting out of breath, and it's definitely a noticeble and noteable difference... I'm loving this ! Keep trying with your friend! I like what one comment was that the COPD patients are not going back !!!! NICE ! :yes

Well there's good news..... After a few adjustments, mainly smaller hits and a little break in period he's doing fine. He thinks it was just the initial abrupt change from smoke to vape. After playing with it on his own it took him a couple of days to get it going. The other day he just showed up happily vaping away like it was nothing. I'm glad he just kept going. Now he's doing fine and is on the hunt for his favorite juice, lol. All is good...