I want that "new car smell" back...

Lol, I know I'm asking for miracles...

Couple years ago I found a great deal on a truck. I couldn't pass it up. Good condition and low miles and I gotta have a truck. I just like them and they come in awful handy. Just ask my friends who always wanna borrow it. But I digress....

How do I get ciggy smoke smell out of my truck??? Is it even possible? Even when I bought the truck it had been detailed to death and I could tell it had been smoked in. Does any one know the best way to get rid of the smell? ....okay, the second best way. I can't afford a new truck right now as I've got vape gear to buy according to you all.

Seriously anything work?

And I refuse to hang one of those disgusting Christmas tree jobbers from the rear view. *gag*

You said it was detailed -- just how much was it detailed? Did that include shampooing the upholstery, the floor mats, and the headliner? I'd try that as well as to sprinkle baking soda under the floor mats and into the upholstery and let it sit there with the windows up in the sun for a few hours before vacuuming it back up. The baking soda does wonders to take out foul odors. Hope that helps! :)

Pretty hard to do. Besides cleaning all you can see the A/C and heating coil would have to be cleaned as well as the ductwork. They sell "new car smell" air freshner at most auto parts stores to help mask what you have.

I just found out today my new van has a cabin air filter.That has go to be the silliest thing I ever heard of.

It's actually pretty handy, Mac. Sometimes you just want to use the vent without having to breathe in all the exhaust and whatnot that's outside of your car. Just changed the cabin air filter in my car yesterday and it makes a difference inside. :)

Lysol or any air duc cleaner a car stores (carquest I like the best)- run through air ducts, for a few minutes on heat then a/c ( not max a/c)

Ozium- takes care of nasty smoke smells

Vinegar water for windows/ plastics followed by anything with ammonia (glass cleaner) it will break down cigg residue.

The small portable bissell spot cleaners work wonders- they pull out old dirt like a shop vac, a lot of detailed places don't steam, they use foam and wipe off. I got this for my truck, best $70 investment ever.

Sia, youre an angel! Thankyou

:D Thanks. I use to clean my truck religiously when I let others smoke in it-in the past. Those methods worked best. If you don't want to use vinegar, in fear it leaves a slight smell for a few days, Ammonia class cleaner, and baking soda work too.

Upholstery wise- clean everything, floor boards, seat, and roof. You can even spray Hot shot or whatever to pretreat the seats before hand.

They both work the same, I like the Hoover a little more, maybe because I overused the Bissell.

Bissell:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_162709-1684-14001_0__?productId=3051553&Ntt=bissell+little+green&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dbissell%2Blittle%2Bgreen&facetInfo=

Hoover:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hoover-Spot-Scrubber-Multi-Surface-Cleaner-FH10025/202223638#.UaNiBeDW420

They always have sales at Kohls, walmart, and homedepot for coupons off. Or you can use a shop-vac and spray bottle method. More work, but same method. Any brand upholstery soap works, yet the pet-odor remover ones smell the best to me, smell them before, your car will smell like this for a few days.

Duc A/C cleaning takes care of the smoke in the air system, you can use lysol or anything like this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Quest-A-C-odor-out-fresh-clean-scent/_/N-25p8?itemIdentifier=424625_0_0_

Also check to see if you have a Cabin Filter, all vehicles after 2004 should have one, easy to replace yourself.

It's a lot of work, but it's worth it. Sorry for it being long, I have a love with my trucks and cars.

Edited by SiaTanner

• 1 month later...

ok-

Im A dog groomer , and sometimes people would bring their dogs bed with them to spend the night (we did boarding as well ) and You could tell when they smoked in their houses because the dog and his bed would reek -bad ! my boss was never a smoker was really into the gym and health and all that stuff he would be so nauseated by it He couldnt even handle check in of the dog . I started spraying the dogs belongings with odor-ban ,a product we used for general clean up it is wonderful for removing that smell .

I used it on my own truck it doesnt stain or fade fabric it kills germs and it is safe for use in daycare facilities vets boarding kennels and whatever. I buy it by the gallon at sams for 10.00 and its concentrated do a gallon lasts forever .you can also buy the pre-diluted product at walmart in the pet section .its worth it ,make sure you spray it in the air intake on the dash thats where it will; blow it through the ac unit. Ive done this myself and it works well . clean your windows with windex wipe down all hard surfaces to remove the nicotine thats on them .its crazy how gross it will be , the nicotine is sticky .I also vaccum every week . I also have a scrunchi steam machine that I stemed the seats with dont know if that helped but it didnt hurt lol .

good luck , I know what your going through .

ok-

Im A dog groomer , and sometimes..........

good luck , I know what your going through .

More great suggestions!

Well I had pretty good success with a good basic cleaning. I removed everything from the cab .....everything. I did a monster vacuum and a killer wipe down with ammonia. Then I used a "woolite" upholstery cleaner on the seats. Then I flooded the carpets with a light mix of simple green and water and wet-vac it all up, some places more than once. Rinsed thoroughly and wet-vac again. Then put in oven on 350* for 45mins (parked on street and let it dry,lol)

I would say I got 90% this way. I haven't done the air filter or vents yet. By then I was exhausted. But I'm pretty happy with how far I got and the results. My ride has never been better!

Thanks for all the great ideas!