Vamo On The Way

Jeffb

Gotcha, thanks. I'll contact Smoktek and see if they have any they could send me, if not they're cheap enough i'll pick some of those you pointed out Rixter. Any idea what size i'd need?

My 18350 just finished charging so i'm using it in mini mode now and i'm not having that problem at all, so with a spacer i should be good to go. This really is a nice device without the giggle.

I contacted Smoktek (not smoktech) and they will not send me a spacer. I think that's pretty lame considering the device has issues with AW's and efest IMR's, 2 very popular brands of batteries. I think it's even lamer considering their product page specifically says 'this device runs flat top batteries just fine' when it quite obviously doesn't.

I've ordered from Smoktek several times without issue but this is the first customer service experience i've had with them and i'm quite turned off.

Rixter, what size spacer do you think i should get from that link you posted?

Rixter, what size spacer do you think i should get from that link you posted?

It really depends on how much jiggle (or giggle :laughing: ) you've got going on with your 18650, but I think that since there is a spring in the bottom cap, you'll have a little room for error in the exact thickness of the spacer needed.

Just how loose is it ("sort of rattly" / "the battery bounces up and down inside" / "you could drive a Mack truck through there")?

BTW - CCV has Rare Earth Magnets (baggy of 10) for $5.65 shipped, and I found this deal at DealExtreme, but I don't know anything about the company.

Rare Earth magnets are supposedly really strong so there shouldn't be any issue with them moving on you once they're attached. If one's not enough to stop the battery from moving, put one on the top and one on the bottom. Their most common use is to convert flat-top batteries to button top batteries.

Edited by Rixter

I found issues when using an AW 18650. I have been using the 18650's I received from Provape with no issues, since they are a little longer than the AW's.

Okay...I just saw the above post you made earlier.

Jeff, i tried stretching the spring a bit, but it didn't seem to help. It has too much play and seems to revert back to it's original state pretty quick.

I went ahead and bought a couple spacers from Avid Vaper. Really wish smoktek would take off 'This device works with flat tops just fine' from their product page b/c it clearly doesn't. Whoever tested them obviously didn't actually use the device and just did a "pop the battery in and see if the device turns on" test.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with SmokTek customer support and asked what I could do to remedy the battery issue everyone seems to be having with the Vamo. They received a different spring from the manufacturer and I should be receiving mine in my order. He said the new springs fixed the issue with no other problems. I'll let you know when I posy my video review. SmokTek.con is all that!!!

I picked up a VAMO from electronicstix and have zero issues with the batteries. I'm using AW IMR 18650s as well as flat top mystery 18650s. I love this thing. Has anyone else had a problem with the middle tube coming off? The middle tube is just pressed onto the head and when I received mine it was tilted to one side. I freaked out thinking it was broke. I actually wiggled it off and pressed it back as hard as I could. No problems since then. I may be the only one.

the vamo is great and costs less . the provari cost a lot and doesnt have the ability to use 3 different battery combos , the lava tube is good choice but no battery combo option... yet.... the evic is way cool just a little bit on the pricey side but very techy if you like that stuff . best thing is all the mods are getting down into normal price range