For All You Frugal Folks

Yes, the ones who wash hundreds of cartos and atties and spend hours bringing them back to life, just to save a few bucks!

I have a good money saver. Many of you know i have lots of kids and that means lots of laundry. I was spending $20-30 a month in laundry detergent before i learned how to make my own. Here's what you need

1 bar fels naptha or zote soap

1 cup borax

1 cup washing soda

5 gallon bucket

Grate soap (circular grater like the ones they use at olive garden work the best)

Put soap and enough water to cover it in a saucepan and heat on low stirring occassionally until soap is dissolved

Put 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda in your 5 gallon bucket and add dissolved soap. Fill with hot water and stir to mix. Voila! 5 gallons of detergent for under $2!

Nice Erika, I new I liked you. I try to make at least 1 batch every year. I just get lazy. You can also add small amounts of scent if you like.

My evil MIL was at least good for something.

PS, You can make electric dish detergent too, with borax, baking soda and a few drops of lemon juice. For those of us where dish detergent is outlawed.

Edited by Beans

Yes, the ones who wash hundreds of cartos and atties and spend hours bringing them back to life, just to save a few bucks!

I have a good money saver. Many of you know i have lots of kids and that means lots of laundry. I was spending $20-30 a month in laundry detergent before i learned how to make my own. Here's what you need

1 bar fels naptha or zote soap

1 cup borax

1 cup washing soda

5 gallon bucket

Grate soap (circular grater like the ones they use at olive garden work the best)

Put soap and enough water to cover it in a saucepan and heat on low stirring occassionally until soap is dissolved

Put 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda in your 5 gallon bucket and add dissolved soap. Fill with hot water and stir to mix. Voila! 5 gallons of detergent for under $2!

Erika, I know where to get a 5 gal bucket, but where do I get the other ingredients.

Beans, What do you use for a fragrance?

I need to learn how to make my own laundry detergent!!!! :thumbsup:

I use a similar recipe for a powdered version of the laundry soap. It works well. I don't have kids so my laundry loads are small.

1 cup grated Fels Naptha Soap

1/2 cup washing soda

1/2 cup borax

Mix and store in airtight container or bag. For light or small loads, use 1 tablespoon. For normal loads, use 2 tablespoons. For heavy loads, use 3 tablespoons.

Beans, thanks for the tip on the dishwasher detergent.

i get fels naptha at kroger or at ace hardware. borax walmart or kroger. washing soda at krogers. Walmart carries the Zote which smells awesome and is about 50 cents cheaper than fels. they both have a very strong smell without adding any fragrance and i use strong fabric softener so you can't smell it anyhow.

Super easy, I use 2 T borax 1t Baking Soda and 1t btl lemon juice. Mix to mushy paste in a cup or what ever (to help spots) and put in your normal spot.

Thanks Beans! do you think you can premake larger amounts? i wonder if the baking soda would lose it's strength over time.

I think I have seen Borax? I know I don't recall seeing fels naptha or Zote. But, washing soda? Isn't that just regular laundry detergent? I am clueless, but not helpless!!! Help!!! LOL

I found this site a few years back. They sell all the supplies needed with tips and recipes. Soaps Gone Buy I have not ordered from them because I can get everything I need local, but found it for a useful resource. You can also use white vinegar as a fabric softener really good for people with sensitive skin. I use about a 1/2 cup for my laundry just add it to the rinse cycle. My only complaint is static with the poly type fabrics. I keep dryer sheets on hand for these.

Edited by BirdDog

the washing soda i have only been able to find at Krogers and it is in a yellow cardboard box. bigger than a grape nuts box but smaller than a regular cereal box. i really don't know what it is but some type of baking soda mix i would guess. well, shoot hang on, i'll get it and list some of the ingredients.

hmm only says it contains sodium carbonate as a warning.

Sharon, I just use lavender essential oil I get at my local market in the natural health section. You can use any oils though. Just add a little at a time till you get the scent you like.

Erika, I don't know about pre mixing for the dish detergent, I haven't tried it, but you could give it a shot. Just keep it in a jar or something air tight.

Lol mark! Run run! Seriously though there is no shame in saving money! I would be thrilled if any man i know knew how to make detergent or even use the darn washing machine!

Both my mother and father have been making their own detergent for the last few years, so there ARE guys that know how to do it, they just might not mention it as often :ninja:. My mom found it online and buys the ingredients, and my dad is the one who actually makes it. Brains + Brawn = Win! Although I just steal theirs to use (I feel good :D), they say they save enough money that me taking some of the detergent still leaves them in the positive. I like that, since the last time I bought detergent, it felt like someone had a gun to my head and told me to give them all my money (a bit dramatic, but you get the point).

Edited by PsychoMaster

I found this site a few years back. They sell all the supplies needed with tips and recipes. Soaps Gone Buy I have not ordered from them because I can get everything I need local, but found it for a useful resource. You can also use white vinegar as a fabric softener really good for people with sensitive skin. I use about a 1/2 cup for my laundry just add it to the rinse cycle. My only complaint is static with the poly type fabrics. I keep dryer sheets on hand for these.

Thanks for the website Birddog, I haven't seen some of these items for many moons!!!

I am so psyched about making my own laundry detergent and I found everything at Wal-mart.

1 bar of Fels Naptha soap $ .97

1 box of Washing Soda 2.77

1 Box of Borax 3.36

Total 7.10 plus 6% tax = $7.53

I am really digging this. Now if I can just get off the computer long enough to put this all together. This might be the really hard part!!!! :wallbash:

Edited by Sharon

Do the cartos/atties go in during the first cycle or after the first rinse?

(btw - Will you marry me$)

What a silly question. During the first cycle of course!!!! FYI, don't use fabric softeners. That will really mess up your cartos!

BTW - Aren't you already spoken for?