Hard Hitting Tanks!

Hi there. I work at a small vape shop in a small town, and I am constantly getting questions on what tank "hits the hardest". I let people know that it depends on the amount of nicotine in their juice (we only sell up to 24 MG) and that is also depends on their battery and the ohm of their atomizer.

I was just wondering, is there a specific tank that hits harder than the rest? We currently stock Kanger pro-tank IIs, Kanger Mini Protank IIs, Smok bottom coil glass tanks, and many others.

I just want to be able to better inform our customers.

Thank you for all of your input!

Yeah, "hard hitting" usually means more "throat hit" (harshness) or more vapor volume, or the combination of the two.

That means higher pg over vg or higher nicotine in the juice (throat hit)

Or more power to the coil and higher vg over pg in juice.

If your talking stock tanks and coils then it would follow that more voltage or variable voltage would be harder hitting but that is a function of the battery.

It would follow that a dual coil tank would produce more

But this is all dependent on the battery.

I don't know, my SO's new RDA (holds enough to vape from it without dripping, actually) hits pretty hard, according to him. Of course, it came with a .8 ohm coil, so 4.2 volts on a fresh charge, he was vaping at 22 watts, IIRC, I did the calculations for him last night.

I don't know, my SO's new RDA (holds enough to vape from it without dripping, actually) hits pretty hard, according to him. Of course, it came with a .8 ohm coil, so 4.2 volts on a fresh charge, he was vaping at 22 watts, IIRC, I did the calculations for him last night.

She/he is asking about tanks, not RDAs which is a whole other thing. :)

Edited by Bebop12

She/he is asking about tanks, not RDAs which is a whole other thing. :)

I KNOW this Bebop.

However, I believe what was hitting him hard was the resistance/voltage/wattage combination, which makes a difference in EVERY tank.

Edited by spydre

I haven't tried this yet, but I don't know why a 1Ω coil in a KPT on a mech mod wouldn't perform like a 1Ω coil on an RBA/RDA. That would definitely put your KPTs smack in the middle of the "Hard Hitting Tanks" category.

I use the same Kanthal resistance wire on my Gennies and RDAs as I do in my KPT coils, so the KPT coil shouldn't be any more likely to pop from high wattage.

I'm gonna roll a 1Ω KPT coil and see how it does...I'll get back to you. :thumbup:

Considering my current 15+ watt RBA builds, I'm beginning to think that the 8 watt ceiling is just a myth.

Edited by Rixter

Building your coil to a lower ohm and being able to increase the amps pulled from the battery will do the same thing on a mech as it will if you used a VV/VW device. So being able to put watts or volts behind it is irrelevant. If you considering an RBA you could either build it at 2.5 ohms and run it on an APV or you could build it at .6 and run it on a mech, either way it's going to be the same idea. I build all my protank coils to about .8 ohms and I am able to produce the same effect (vapor production, flavor, TH,etc.) as if I used a standard resistance coil on an APV.

So really to answer your question there is no hardest hitting tank, it comes down to what you want out of the vape. Rebuilding makes everything (that's rebuildable) work on an even playing field, you just have to decide what you like the look of.

Sorry, Medic, no thumbs up on my Nook.

Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say, except the rebuilding/mech mod part. Yeah, the throat hit can impact throat hit, but most of the things that one ight call a "hard hit" would comme from resistance/voltage/wattage, IMO.

I just got finished wrapping a 1.3Ω coil (5/4 wrap of 29g Kanthal around a 3.5mm silica wick), stuck it in my Tatroe Tank (glorified KPT), and screwed it on a mech mod. It is a beast! I don't know why I didn't try this before, unless I was just hung up on the 8 watt "limit" I'd always heard about. 13½ watts on a fresh battery provides some very intense flavor, vapor, & throat hit, but I'm pretty sure it's going to go through juice like nobody's business!

I just got finished wrapping a 1.3Ω coil (5/4 wrap of 29g Kanthal around a 3.5mm silica wick), stuck it in my Tatroe Tank (glorified KPT), and screwed it on a mech mod. It is a beast! I don't know why I didn't try this before, unless I was just hung up on the 8 watt "limit" I'd always heard about. 13½ watts on a fresh battery provides some very intense flavor, vapor, & throat hit, but I'm pretty sure it's going to go through juice like nobody's business!

What's this about an eight watt "limit"?

Building your coil to a lower ohm and being able to increase the amps pulled from the battery will do the same thing on a mech as it will if you used a VV/VW device. So being able to put watts or volts behind it is irrelevant. If you considering an RBA you could either build it at 2.5 ohms and run it on an APV or you could build it at .6 and run it on a mech, either way it's going to be the same idea. I build all my protank coils to about .8 ohms and I am able to produce the same effect (vapor production, flavor, TH,etc.) as if I used a standard resistance coil on an APV.

So really to answer your question there is no hardest hitting tank, it comes down to what you want out of the vape. Rebuilding makes everything (that's rebuildable) work on an even playing field, you just have to decide what you like the look of.

I was wondering how u made ure protank coils..i made a few deferent ones so far. One is a 1.2 ohm that was 12 wraps on a paperclip all touching(micro or nano?lol)and my buddie has ben using it on his pro vari at 4.2 volts..seems to b doing very well..i also made one the same way but with 28g wire,came out to around 2.5 so i have no broblem fireing it on my sigelei v5.. ive ben just using cotton threw the coil and a flavor wick also made one without the flavor wick and it seems to b doing all right..

What's this about an eight watt "limit"?

Build-Your-Own-Cheap-Hash-Oil-Pen-Using-

One of many charts I've seen in my web travels. They all recommend pretty much the same range. Google search "vape safe chart".

I just noticed that the chart above is referring to Nichrome wire and not Kanthal. I've never used Nichrome, so I don't know how it takes the extra heat I've been putting to the Kanthal coils lately...apparently, not so well. :no

Edited by Rixter

That's JUST ABOUT the same chart I was originally using when I started vaping (and the one that's found in one of the lower sub-forums as well). It's conservative.

I have the Vape app on my phone that I lived by at first, you used the slider to select resistance, and voltage or wattage, and the wattage bar would change color whether it was good, cautious, or a no-no. But that's conservative as well. If it could have a heart attack it probably would if I inputted the numbers for sub-ohm vaping (.8 resistance, 3.7 volts.....that's about 22 watts).

Edited by spydre