Help - Noob Questions

AndyLAG

Hi all. Really glad I found this site. I recently ordered the Green Smoke electronic cigarette and had it a couple days. I like the whole idea of an electronic cigarette, because smoking really stinks - and I worry about it more since we have a baby now. I don't like coming inside from having a smoke and smelling like smoke and having all that stuff lingering on me and near her.

When I first tried the Green Smoke, I was pretty impressed. It tasted good, I got a good amount of vapor, I was pretty excited, I could see myself giving up analogs for good (which I have tried to do more times than I can count. However, I found that after using the GS a couple times, I wasn't getting the same amount of vapor anymore, sometimes a little, sometimes none at all. The battery was still charged, it just wasn't as strong I guess, but that seems like a pretty short time for it to work the way I want it to. It works enough to stop from from going out and having an analog (most of the time :( ) but its not satisfying and eventually I have to go have an analog to 'feel' like I am smoking.

Until I found this forum and read a lot more and watched some of the videos, I figured that was just the way ecigs were and I would have to deal with it. But it looks like I just made a bad choice when I chose the kind of ecig to buy (because I didn't know that much about it).

I am thinking maybe the eGo is a good choice - but one of the things I really like about the GS is that I don't have to have liquid nicotine around, I just worry about it with a little one around, and would much rather have a pre-filled cartridge to use. Can you get pre-filled cartridges with the Ego or is it all 'do-it-yourself'?

Do you have recommendations on what I should buy and why? I realize the answers to my questions are probably here somewhere, but I'd like to return this GS within the 30 days to get my money back, and replace it with something that will satisfy me the way analogs do - I really don't want to smoke anymore. I figure the more I vape, then I can start trying more complicated contraptions, but for now, I want something easy...

Welcome to the forum.

I applaud you for thinking of your child and the safety involved. Keeping eliquid away from small ones is very important. I want to add that you will also need to keep your cartridges away from you child. Little ones will stick anything in their mouths.

I am going to suggest going with the Ego. I am also going to suggest going with the liquid. With this combination you will have many more options for flavor, atomizer and cartomizers. I don't see any extra work involved in keeping liquid away from a child, than it will be to keep carts or a cartomizer out of reach of children. Choose whatever option will be easiest for you.

I did a search a few days ago for another member in regards to pre-filled cartridges for the Ego or 510 fitting. My search didn't turn up much except for tobacco and menthol pre-filled cartridges. They were at Awesome Vapor. I am sure you want more flavor options than just tobacco and menthol.

Here is another option if you don't want to go with the liquid.

1. The KR808D is a two piece model. The battery is small like your GS. There are a couple vendors out there that sell pre-filled cartomizers with different flavors.

2. Skip the cartridges and go with cartomizers. Cartomizers are a atomizer and cartridge in one unit. They work much better than cartridges. Cartridges don't wick liquid to the atomizer very well and that might be the problem you are experiencing with your GS. You can get a Cartomizer in the KR808D or in the 510 for the Ego. I have not had any luck finding pre-filled 510 cartomizers for the Ego that offer many flavor combinations. You can use the KR808D cartomizers on the Ego. You will need to get the 510 to 808/901 adapter.

I will give you some links for the KR808D cartomizers. If I find any for the 510 cartomizers I will post back later.

Vapor King - KR808D

Battery adapter for the 510 to KR808 This is an example of the adapter that you will need for the KR808 to fit on the Ego battery. Other suppliers sell this adapter too.

Do not confuse The Vapor King Model, from this site Vapor4Life, for the Vapor King Website I listed above. One is a supplier (above) and one has named their model the Vapor King. I am pretty sure that the Vapor King Model is a KR808D. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck.

For use with the eGo, Most people will recommend that you purchase cartomizers and that you refill them with your own juice. However, to answer your question, you can by pre-filled cartomizers and never refill. But it is much more expensive than refilling. And flavors are limited in prefilled cartos.

I know lots of people like various types of cartomizers. With the eGo, there are lots of adapters that you can purchase. The eGo has 510 female threads. I really like SmokeStik cartomizers. They are designed differently. They never burn and last much longer than anything else I've used. (meaning the atomizer inside lasts longer.) I've used 510s and 808s and SmokeStick(4081) cartos. I refill and can get 20-30 drops into the carto. So I purchased a 510 to 4081 adapter.

The SmokeStik cartos are not inexpensive. And you can purchase them and not refill. Most people using the SS (general public) use them once, toss them and put on a new one. But I think that's a waste because they are easy to refill and last for many, many uses.

So if you don't want to refill, you have options of purchasing pre-filled cartos. But if you want to, you have even more options to refill your own. Just make sure you put the juice in a box and way out of reach of the little one. AND make sure you wash your hands after handling.

Edited by HyOnLyph

Wow! Thanks for all the info!

I ordered the eGo starter kit here, and some extra juice in a couple different flavors. I thought I would try the dripping on the atomizer thing. I think it comes with some prefilled cartomizers? I thought I would try those and then attempt refilling them.

What is a 'drip tip' by the way?

Also, what else would I want to have on hand that didn't come in the starter kit? Once I really get going, I don't want to get stuck having to order something and go back to analogs while I wait.

Here is a drip tip : http://www.vaportalk.../Drip-Tips.html it goes on top the atty where your carts are. It has a hole in the top where you can drip juice onto the atty. :)

It sounds like you have ordered everything you need to get started. Of course there is always more to buy along the way.

Edited by jeffb

Wow! Thanks for all the info!

I ordered the eGo starter kit here, and some extra juice in a couple different flavors. I thought I would try the dripping on the atomizer thing. I think it comes with some prefilled cartomizers? I thought I would try those and then attempt refilling them.

What is a 'drip tip' by the way?

Also, what else would I want to have on hand that didn't come in the starter kit? Once I really get going, I don't want to get stuck having to order something and go back to analogs while I wait.

Jeff gave you a good answer about the drip tip. I recommend getting one if you are going the dripping route.

It doesn't say if the carts that come with your Ego kit are prefilled. I am going to guess that they are because most kits have prefilled carts. If you plan on refilling these carts, I suggest that you remove the filler and give it a good rinse under tap water. Let dry and refill. The reason is some of the old liquid may make the new flavor taste funky. You can use tweezers to pull out the filler. Wash your hands after you clean and refill your carts.

My only suggestion, to add to your order, is a couple extra standard atomizers and a pack of cartomizers. That is it. Sounds like you are good to go. Good luck.

Welcome to Vapor Talk. Great choice with the eGo. It really is about the best you can get - other than mods, but that comes later. You'll probably want to try several options to see what works best for you. Personally, I don't care for anything with a filler in it. I direct drip with a drip tip and just love it. But everyone is different. A lot of people here love the cartomizers. Of course those usually involve liquid also. It shouldn't be any harder to keep your vaping supplies away from your daughter than it would be to keep a pack of smokes and a light away from her - and those can be very dangerous, too.

Good luck and happy vaping!

Welcome and very glad you have found us !!!

The Ego is a great unit and you will be amazed at the difference. You will have to play with dripping, carts, cartomizers to decide which method works best for you.

The liquids you purchase come with childproof caps--but it is still best to keep away from exploring hands and mouths. using liquid vs carts is the best way to get the best experience with your ego.

backups, backups, backups.....atomizers and/or cartomizers, liquid, batteries. drip tips are very handy.

Your daughter will love not having a stinky parent around !!!

Thanks again for all the answers and advice. You guys are really helpful! I have a bunch more questions, just off the top of my head in no discernible order:

1. Those of you who direct drip - when you are out, say, at a bar, do you just whip out your ecig and bottle of juice and drip into it? It seems like a lot of people don't know much about ecigs, I was wondering what kind of reactions you get- like does anyone think you're doing some weird drug or something with your bottle of juice? lol

2. Let me see if I understand this correctly - if I want to buy pre-filled carts, I will need an adapter, and depending on which carts I get, I will need a different adapter? But I can refill the pre-filled ones with my own juice? When you refill, do they leak at all?

3. I think I understand that you get about 8-10 draws off 3 direct drips, about one 'smoke' worth...how much more do you get off a pre-filled or re-filled cart?

4. I can buy empty carts here at the VP store and fill them myself. These can be re-used, correct? You have to wash/clean them before refilling? How many times can you refill? Can you fill a couple of them and carry them around, or will they leak?

I think thats it for now. Thanks in advance. :)

Welcome to Vapor Talk. I think you'll be happy with your choice of the EGO. Many of us have them and they are a great unit. Fairly easy to use and the battery life is great.

I understand your concern about having nic juice around with the little one, but if you store it up where she can't reach it you should be ok. Besides, you'll also have to do the same with any carts, atty;s or cartomizers you may have.

If you go with standard carts you'll find that they need refilling quite often and this tends to be a bit of a pain. Direct dripping is good when you can, but not advisable when you're out driving. As far as at the bars or store and such I haven't had any one give me a lot of flack about bringing out my bottle of juice and adding a few drops. In fact I usually get the question of what the heck is that and what are you doing? Sometimes it's a great conversation starter.

Unless you're going to use the Kr808D pre-filled cartomizers with your ego you wont need an adapter to use the unit with 510 atty's and cartomizers.

I would suggest you try the regular and the LR(low resistance) cartomizers for the ease of not having to drip all the time. They hold a lot of juice and you can refill them several times.

You can fill several with different flavors, put the rubber covers back on and take them with you. They're really nice.

Well that's what I've go for now. If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask...we're all here to help.

Good luck and happy vaping.thumbup.gif

I am pretty sure I want to order some cartomizers, too, for when direct dripping isn't handy, and also I have read it is good for if you are using different flavors, rather than having them mix. What are the best cartomizers to get?

Edited by AndyLAG

MY SUGGESTED CARTOS FOR THE EGO:

(other opinions will vary on this topic, these are simply what I have had the best luck with)

You need to be looking for the 510 Boge cartos, silver threads, around 3.0 ohms. (regular cartos) (These are typically used on devices that go higher than 3.7 volts.)

REGULAR CARTOS

And for the LR cartos go for the LR 510 Boge cartos around 2.0 ohms (LR cartos).

(carto of choice if using on a standard eGo battery)

LR CARTOS

Check any of the suggested retailers on the forum here and find what you need. Vapor Talk store has some regular cartos in stock... but I don't think he has any LR cartos right now.

(I much prefer the LR cartos if I'm vaping at 3.7 on the eGo. This seems to be the carto of choice at this time for many people.)

One little word of advice... once you have filled them with whatever method you want... I would suggest putting the "condoms" back on and letting them sit for 30 minutes or so. This will let the juice get good and soaked in like it needs. And remember, once you do start using a carto, it's always smart to keep topping it off every hour or so to keep them good and wet.

And most importantly... if you can at all manage, you should use PG based juices in cartos to get the best vaping experience possible. VG based juices are simply too thick for most of them to wick well enough to keep up with most of us. There are a small handful of folks that don't have any issues... but for the majority of people VG is just a real hassle. Hopefully you have some PG based stuff you can fill them with so you don't get bummed out when you can only get 2 or 3 good drags before the flavor/vapor is drastically diminished. : :thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

Wow, fast! I ordered the eGo Thursday afternoon and I got it today! I tried a quick direct drip with the Caramel Macchiato, very cool, tasted good, lots of vapor. Charging the battery now, I'm really excited!

I'd like a bit more throat hit, any suggestions on that?

Wow, fast! I ordered the eGo Thursday afternoon and I got it today! I tried a quick direct drip with the Caramel Macchiato, very cool, tasted good, lots of vapor. Charging the battery now, I'm really excited!

I'd like a bit more throat hit, any suggestions on that?

From what I understand, a few drops of straight up menthol will help with throat hit without destroying the flavor of what you're vaping. You might put one drop in with the macchiato in a cartomizer and see how that works. I think some people even recommend buying such stuff from the candy or cake baking area of hobby stores. Kitsune, where are you? :)

Good luck, Andy, and welcome.

Well, I have been using the Dulcis all day, and have absolutely zero complaints. I have also smoked absolutely zero analogs. So, yeah - very happy and thanks again to everyone for all your advice. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions soon :P

Glad you're enjoying the vaping. Now don't forget to try a few of the other flavors that VT has......if you like menthol try the Mentha, great cool hit. But my favorites are Midnight and Exotic tobacco.

Good luck and happy vaping.

how are things going with the throat hit??

some flavors have better throat hit than others. I always have a supply of either menthol flavoring or menthol liquid and add a few drops to all of my liquids. really helps with the throat hit (and flavor)-without tasting like menthol. the menthol flavoring is much more concentrated so usually about 2-3 drops/5ml. with the menthol liquid 5-6 drops/5ml.

glad you are liking the dulcis !!

The Dulcis is giving me a great throat hit, I really like it a lot, I am definitely going to have to order more. I have some Midnight and Exotic Tobacco on the way also. I also ordered the blank cartomizers (for when I am out and about and don't feel like DDing) and some drip tips from here.

How long will my atty's last? I have seen everything from a few days to a few months. I am wondering if I should order some more to have on hand. Is there anything I can do to make the ones I have last longer?

I am surprised that adding menthol doesn't make it taste like a menthol (I really don't like menthol). I will have to try that - you just add a couple drops to your 10 ml bottle then? Oh, and what do you do with your empty bottles? Does VT recycle them or anything?

Edited by AndyLAG

Welcome to the wonderful world of the eGo. I have found that VT juices are very smooth, Dulcis seems to have the biggest TH for me but it isn't a bit harsh. Wordup also has same smooth hit, as does Hot Vapes. I really am getting to like the cartos and after trying a few out I'm the most pleased with Joye 510 cartos. Silver threads and holds a lot of juice. You can get them at wordup I know they are in stock. I have several fresh cartos sitting here waiting for my order of VT Sweet Dawn and Butterscotch the only problem I have found with the eGo and good juices is that I would rather stay home and vape then to go anywhere. Have fun and think of all the chemicals your little one is not being exposed to now.

Well. its been a couple days and still really pleased with the eGo. Have had two analogs, both in the morning with coffee - I think that's more habit than anything else and I am confident I will be able to phase those out. I am really impressed with both the battery life, and how quickly the batteries charge. I have been direct dripping and using cartridges.

Today I got my first shipment of empty cartomizers. So far I really like them. The only previous experience I had with cartos was the GreenSmoke. These are much better, lots of vape and lots of flavor. I overfilled it the first time, but I am ok now, its just a learning curve and I am sure I will get the hang of it. I like that I don't have to constantly drip; I just add about 6 more drops to the carto when it needs it (about every hour). I got some Midnight this time - when I first tried it, I wasn't sure I liked it. I think it tastes like cognac. However, I have been using it while drinking red wine and they go really good together. I still think Dulcis is probably going to be my go-to juice. I did order some mentha to try adding a couple drops to my other bottles for better throat hit; I will try it with one to make sure I don't get any menthol taste (but who knows, maybe I will like the menthol).

Is the VT Tobacco the same as Exotic Tobacco flavor? I ordered VT Tobacco with my starter kit and then ordered Exotic Tobacco with my second order - they both say VT Tobacco so I guess they are the same?

Also, I ordered some 510 drip tips - are these the wrong thing for my eGo? I can't figure out how they would possibly go on my eGo, they don't seem to fit anything so I think I must have ordered the wrong thing. I can't for the life of me figure out how the end with the white o-ring would attach to anything.

Well. its been a couple days and still really pleased with the eGo. Have had two analogs, both in the morning with coffee - I think that's more habit than anything else and I am confident I will be able to phase those out. I am really impressed with both the battery life, and how quickly the batteries charge. I have been direct dripping and using cartridges.

Is the VT Tobacco the same as Exotic Tobacco flavor? I ordered VT Tobacco with my starter kit and then ordered Exotic Tobacco with my second order - they both say VT Tobacco so I guess they are the same?

Also, I ordered some 510 drip tips - are these the wrong thing for my eGo? I can't figure out how they would possibly go on my eGo, they don't seem to fit anything so I think I must have ordered the wrong thing. I can't for the life of me figure out how the end with the white o-ring would attach to anything.

Having a few analogs here and there is normal. I had a few on Friday and I've been vaping for three months.

The battery life is amazing, isn't it? So glad you like it!

As I understand it, VT Tobacco and Exotic Tobacco are the same thing.

The drip tips go on top of the atomizer instead of the cartridge. It may be a snug fit at first, but the o-ring will give a little after some use.

Vape on!