Did Your Parents Smoke?

Brian

My father smoked a pipe. Mom NEVER. All of mom's family pretty much smoked heavily and most of my dad's siblings smoked, his parents did not, grandpa chewed. Sister never touched it. Hubby's father is heavy smoker as were his older sister and brother, brother quit. Mother never smoked. Younger brother never. All of his nieces and nephews smoke, only my oldest nephew smoked, my son smokes as does SIL, daughter has Cystic Fibrosis so never and we avoided it around her.

Both my parents smoked, as did my grandparents. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins.

They tell me I even had an old Aunt that used snuff and chewed and smoked a corncob pipe..lol. smoke.gif

Edited by snubber

I am pretty sure every adult I knew smoked, including my parents. I was the only child (of3) that became a smoker--both my brother and sister remained non-smokers. Smoked around my kids and thank goodness neither of them became smokers. My husband has always been a non smoker.

Addictive personality disorder???? smoking wasn't the same taboo as it is now.

Both my parents smoked. My dad was the heaviest smoker of the two. My mom smoked mostly in the evening and I don't think she ever finished a whole pack by herself. My Aunts, Uncles and grandparents on my dad's side smoked. My great grandmother was a real rebel and smoked a pipe. I don't think my parents contributed to the start of my smoking addiction. I was mostly a social smoker in my teens (only when the overbearing boyfriend wasn't around). I didn't really pick up the habit until I moved in with my Aunt while attending college.

my grandparents (both sides) and my dad smoked. got my first smoke out of my dad's jacket pocket when i was 10. i was sick for days....still ended up smoking a half a pack a day by the time i was 16, full pack by 20. :thumbsdown:

My parents have never smoked. Only one of my grandfathers smoked, but never around me and he quit when I was very young. I have two brothers and neither of them ever smoked. I had an uncle who smoked and two of his four kids smoke. I have three other cousins (out of 30 cousins total) who smoke. Two of them had a father who smoked, but quit at the time they were born - so never smoked around them. The other one was raised by her mother who never smoked. Her father did, but she rarely saw him. I was almost never around smokers growing up. My father-in-law smoked up until he had stroke 8 years ago. My mother-in-law never smoked. Two of their kids smoked (one quit a few years ago), but my husband never did. I started smoking with friends when I was about 12 and by the time I was 15 I was smoking a pack a day. I never smoked in front of my kids, but all three of them ended up being smokers. I believe that at least in my case it was because of wanting to "fit in" with the other kids. I never did really "fit in", but I sure picked up the habit.