Battery Question

It's no secret that I always recommend backups, backups, and more backups...but I need to know something. If I wanted to stock up on the eGo/tornado/Joye batteries, how long will they last? What I mean is, if I bought say 8 or 10 extras, how long could I just hold onto them - without using them? If I had them for 6 months or a year or longer...would they still work?

I'm also wondering the same thing about attys. I had 4 attys that I bought back in December and tried to use them this week and only one of them worked. Is that because they were DOA and I didn't know it? Or do they go bad over time when not in use?

Hey Nana, As far as attys go, they are completely mechanical so if you had some that didn't work they were DOA. As for batteries, as long as they have an initial charge they should last well over 2 years. The only problem with batteries is if you let them completely discharge they wont hold a charge in the future. I'm sure others will chime in as well. Have a great weekend!!!

Thanks Mark! That's what I was needing to know. I really thought that might be the case with the attys. Now I know to check them as soon as I get them to see if they are DOA. I had no idea with the batteries. I want to stock up, but didn't want to have a bunch of batteries that were good when I finally got around to using them. That would kind of defeat the purpose of backups.

Thank you. You have a great weekend, too.

And if anyone else wants to chime in, go ahead. I need all the info I can get.

I agree with Mark, the attys were most likely DOA. Its always a good idea to test new attys with a multimeter when you first get them. Most suppliers only warranty attys if they are DOA. Its kinda hard to argue they were DOA months later.

I don't see the need for stocking up on $250 worth of eGo batts. If you are worried about e-cigs becoming illegal, you could get a nice mod that accepts regular batts. Regular batts will never be illegal and usually readily available.

I don't see the need for stocking up on $250 worth of eGo batts. If you are worried about e-cigs becoming illegal, you could get a nice mod that accepts regular batts. Regular batts will never be illegal and usually readily available.

My sentiments exactly. Find a really good mod that fits your tastes, 10440, 18650, RCR123a, etc... none of these batteries will be included by the ban. For me I think the Silver Bullet is a great option, extremely simple design + great build quality, it really should last just about forever (I know it's a little big to be portable, but I think this thing could withstand a nuclear blast).

I'm in with Jeffb in that If you want to stock up on batteries, you could instead change to a device which uses commonly used rechargeable batteries rather than proprietary ones.

I do the same thing with each atty I get from a supplier. I use a multimeter, set it to measure ohms, and check them before I make them part of my collection. This way I know that they are good to use when the time comes. They won't go bad just sitting in a box somewhere, unless that box was filled with battery acid or something corrosive like that!

For the actual Lithium Ion chemistry of the eGo batteries, I'd recommend you use a multimeter when you first get them to make sure they have a charge, and

1) store them away-they are supposed to be good for 2 to 3 years on their partial shipping charge

2) use them. make them part of your normal rotation of batteries.

I'd prefer to do the latter. That way it would get rid of any unknowns in my own head as to whether or not they still work.

Personally, its the atomizers that I'm worried about. I trying to slowly stock up on those myself.

Thanks Jeff and GDub. I truly appreciate the advice.

I wasn't really serious about that many eGo batts. People like teasing me about the backups, so I couldn't help myself. :innocent: I was curious though because I thought about getting a couple of extras for later and wanted to be sure they would be okay. I'm still using the first batts I got and know they won't last forever. I recently got a couple of new ones and have been using them because I didn't know how they would keep. I do appreciate the info.

Just so you know, I'd already figured out the mod thing. I just got a Black Silver Bullet. My main reason for getting it was because of the possibility of a ban and needing something reliable, but I fell in love with that thing. It is awesome! And doesn't seem too bad as a portable unit either.

Thanks Jeff and GDub. I truly appreciate the advice.

I wasn't really serious about that many eGo batts. People like teasing me about the backups, so I couldn't help myself. :innocent: I was curious though because I thought about getting a couple of extras for later and wanted to be sure they would be okay. I'm still using the first batts I got and know they won't last forever. I recently got a couple of new ones and have been using them because I didn't know how they would keep. I do appreciate the info.

Just so you know, I'd already figured out the mod thing. I just got a Black Silver Bullet. My main reason for getting it was because of the possibility of a ban and needing something reliable, but I fell in love with that thing. It is awesome! And doesn't seem too bad as a portable unit either.

I couldn't agree more. I have had my BSB for about a month now and it has become my go to device. Not my favorite, that is my "Mark" mod but I wouldn't risk that device so it doesn't leave my office, let alone my house. The BSB on the other hand probably looks better with a few scuffs on it. While I imagine it will be replaced by "the precious" which is considerable smaller 18650 mod as my "workday" device, the BSB fits in my pants pocket very well and I carry it with me all over.

If I only had $100 and could only buy one mod, it would have to be the BSB, it is awesome.

Like everyone has said you can keep hardware for years. What I'd do personally is take one drop of un flavored liquid and test your atomizer. That way your not using a flavor you may not like down the road. This is actually how the factories test atomizers before sending them out. :)

I couldn't agree more. I have had my BSB for about a month now and it has become my go to device. Not my favorite, that is my "Mark" mod but I wouldn't risk that device so it doesn't leave my office, let alone my house. The BSB on the other hand probably looks better with a few scuffs on it. While I imagine it will be replaced by "the precious" which is considerable smaller 18650 mod as my "workday" device, the BSB fits in my pants pocket very well and I carry it with me all over.

If I only had $100 and could only buy one mod, it would have to be the BSB, it is awesome.

Oh yeah, I just love my "Mark" mod, too, but it doesn't leave my house either. I couldn't take the chance of something happening to it. When I'm not using it, it sits on a shelf as the piece of artwork that it is.

I agree that if you can only buy one mod, it would have to be the BSB. But if you had a little extra money, I'd suggest getting the pass through, too. I love it! I used mine in the car for several hours yesterday and it rocks!

Like everyone has said you can keep hardware for years. What I'd do personally is take one drop of un flavored liquid and test your atomizer. That way your not using a flavor you may not like down the road. This is actually how the factories test atomizers before sending them out. :)

Good tip, Chris. Thanks! I wish I had done that a few months ago, but at least I know to do it now.

If I wanted to stock up on the eGo/tornado/Joye batteries, how long will they last?

Are they Lion? Looks like a few years. Store cold and less than half charged (I think I read that right).

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm