What Does Your Spouse Think?

I'm single but I keep seeing a lot of people talking about their spouse's preference for this/that juice/atty/etc.

I'd like to know what their reactions and thoughts were when you first started vaping; did you start together, did one convince the other, does one still smoke, did only one smoke-now vapes...

If you're single, maybe share your roommate/friends' reactions or those of your family :)

Just thought it would be nice to compare stories!

(sorry if there's already a thread like this)

my boyfriend and i started together :) it was a lot easier using the buddy system to start!! we both have very different tastes in juices. he tends to go for more traditional tobacco flavored juices (with a few exceptions) and i go for the more non-tobacco juices. between the 2 of us we vape just about everything on the flavors spectrum :thumbsup:

this is a great thread!! hearing how more people started is a great thing for newbies and senior vapers alike!!

keep on vapin' :)

My wife and I both smoked. She was introduced to vaping by some friends of hers. I thought it was a stupid fad and didn't want anything to do with it. :) When the cig taxes were increased out here in CA, I decided to give vaping a try. That was almost 6 months ago and I haven't had a analog since.

Its very cool now that we both enjoy vaping so much. Well, its cool until she jacks all my stuff. :D She isn't on the forum too much, so I give her a daily update about the happenings here.

So here's my public "Thank You Honey" to my wife, for introducing me to the wonderful world of vaping. wub.gif

Wifey and I smoked for a long time. I just started vaping close to 2 months ago. She was totally excited about the prospect and really wanted to make the switch herself. Unfortunately she hasn't been able to do so yet. She's extremely PG sensitive, and despite trying all kinds of pure VG juices we still haven't found the right combination for her. I still have a hunch that she's not trying hard enough, or just not putting forth enough effort for the learning curve, but honestly it's hard to say either way.

My sister-in-law on the other hand loves vaping. She takes every opportunity to use my stuff when she's over here, but has yet to buy herself a starter kit. Since I have a stockpile of 510 batteries and attys, I'll probably just end up giving them all to her since I had originally intended on giving them to my wife.

Most of the family is very receptive about me vaping. In fact, they're very happy. They literally knew nothing about PVs until I educated them, and are supporting me 100%. And that's a good thing :)

My wife is happy I'm off analogs but thinks I'm becoming obsessed with vaping. (I am!) But i always remind her that's it's better than smoking. I've been vaping for 4 months now and that cigarette smell is starting to become almost disgusting. Only really when I smell it on someone. I can't believe that's how I would come home everyday. An actual cig being smoked smells kinda good still. But I'm much happier vaping. And so is my family.

Cool stories! My family was mostly OK with the idea when I proposed it, but my dad called it a "gimmick" and said I could only quit with willpower, the way he did. I tried to tell him that what may work for him may not work for me (it didn't on several occasions), but he was still not receptive to the idea. So I bought it anyway :devil:

My aunt was in town the day it arrived and she was totally excited about it. She works in the medical field too so she was interested in all the technical details. That enthusiasm was very good for my self esteem. I used it at my dad's house a few days later and he quickly came around. He apparently thought it was something else :iiam:

My friends have been very supportive, and my one remaining smoker friend has tried it but is still waiting for me to work out all the kinks before he tries it out for himself :)

Well Ashley (my spouse) was up for anything that would stop me smoking, she didn't like the idea of the price at the time (ecigs used to be much more expensive than they are now) but said go for it. My family thought it was a joke at first :lol: After a few weeks I really took off with it and everyone supported me the whole way through. I told them I was going to create an electronic cigarette forum (they of course rolled their eyes, Chris at it again!) and well, here we all are :)

My story goes as followed,

I tryed to stop analog a few times and quickly started smoking again. Ive been smoking since i was 14 stealing my moms and dads cigarettes and ride to the beach to smoke them. we used to go to long island for the summers and camp all summer long.As a kid growing up in an urban area it was like a breath of fresh air to see trees, have a beach across the street . lol(ride my bike without fear of getting jumped). and so on . why am i telling you this , well it seems that in my crazy mind i kinda related smoking with those childhood memories where everything was ok and no school, basicly it was my way of not letting go of the past.ok so what does the wife think????? she feels that its another way for me to waste money. i can understand her cause she never had to go through anything like this so her keeping a distance of it is fine . I take it like this,Have you ever seen a roaster? it always keeps its distance but at the same time is always thinking and lookin at the hen house. lol i know its corny but you know what i mean. anyway , sorry for the ranting but thats my story. and i have the incling that somepeople might change it a bit but relate to it nontheless. thanks see you on the chat lol

I think many of us started by stealing either our parents ( in my case my parents did not smoke) or our friends parents cigarettes. I suppose I can understand what your wife thinks it's a waste of money, if you've never smoked, you'll never understand what it's like. But at the very least let her know you no longer smell and the car will no longer smell. If you point out the positives she may come around a little :)

Great thread Fiend! thumbsup.gif And sure, I got a story too.

Some of the 'old timers' here will remember me bitching about my wife complaining about the money too (that is still true ;)), and thinking it's just a gimmick. She still doesn't quite get it, but she's sure come around seeing me mostly not smoking. That in itself is an absolute wonder.

My wife had already quit smoking for probably six months when I learned about ecigs. I was due to order smokes again but decided to use that money for my first kit. It was underwhelming but over a couple weeks I used it more and more, to the point I actually preferred the KR808 to an analog. That's when I started looking around to see if something could be truly satisfying and found my VP2 and 48mg juice. That did the trick and soon I was smoke free. Oh, she threw a freakin fit! More money spent on that crap! :D Little did she know it was only the beginning. ;)

Like most of us, I've kept trying to find my personal sweet spot and think I've really narrowed it down to either high voltage or a LR atty on my trusty VP2. I've started DIY my own liquid, which has helped immensely with both the cost and my satisfaction from my juice. (HV does benefit from more VG.)

How does Jeanie feel about vaping these days? She's come to an accommodation to it, probably because I have everything shipped to my brother's house now. ;) But when I got my first 6V unit, Phideas Woodimus, guess what? My wife 'inherited' it immediately and I haven't used it more than a couple hours on a few evenings. Voltage really satisfies her too, and she's pretty much quit the gum now. She hardly vapes because she really got hold of the nicotine issue on her own, but it's so much cheaper than buying nic gum, and so much more fun for me keeping her device going, that we're all good now.

I find myself smoking occasionally again though. Sometimes it's just so much more convenient to light an analog, and honestly still more deeply satisfying, that I don't know when I'll get back to being completely analog-free again. I'm sure the day is out there. Vaping has absolutely changed my life. I'm truly thankful for Vapor Talk; I can't find the right words to express it, but you guys rock.

Thanks for all the help and support. I shake my head when I think about some of my ignorant but innocent newbie posts! ...Good grief! :)... But you all sure pulled me though it. Thanks.

I smoked for just over 34 years before finding out about ecigs. All it took was one demonstration of how the thing worked and I just knew it was for me. And it was!! As of yesterday, it has been 6 months since I've had an analog.

My husband never did smoke, but he also never complained about me smoking. He never complained about the cost of the cigarettes, nor did he complain about the smell of them. Each time (and there were many) I tried to quit, he encouraged me because he was concerned for my health. He also supported me each time I failed.

Even though I've gone through several different PV's on my road to finding the perfect unit for myself, my husband has been right beside me, encouraging me all the way. He's not concerned about the amount of money I've spent, he's only thrilled that I am now healthier and happier. And the fact that I'm on the saving end of this now (although not as much as my banner says) is another huge bonus.

I've been extremely lucky to have not only the encouragement of my husband, but also the encouragement and support from the Vapor Talk community. :thumbsup:

My wife used to call me 'Smokey Smokerton' due to the fact that I ALWAYS had a cig in my mouth, my hand, or burning away in an ashtray like 'tobacco incense' as she used to call it.

So when I decided to at least TRY to switch from analog to e-cigs, she was all for it.

We have a 12 year difference in age between us, and I really think that e-cigs are helping me narrow that gap and live longer as a result.

She and I both have smoked for years, and she's seen the benefits that e-cigs have had on our life and household.

She isn't smoking now, as we have a baby due in June, but when she is able to go back. she's going e-cig all the way.

Not to mention the fact that there are no more burn holes in her couch. :)

oops. sorry hun.

My g/f and I started together , we both enjoy it same like smoking , we both are still smoking some like after work and later on in the evening , but prettty much i vape all day long . Vaping gets my mind off constantly thinking about smoking and lighting up .I leave the burnables at home and vape instead .

We both think its great that we've cut down . Once you've paid for your kit to keep your vapor going is cheeeeap compared to burnables

My wife comes from family of smokers, so it was no surprise when when she discovered I started smoking when I joined the military. All these years she has wanted me to quit. She can't stand the smell, the sight, everything about it. When I returned from the desert last year I discovered e-cigs through a co-worker, who by the way gave it up, but I kept to it. When I told her I was quitting for good she was so happy, but when I told her what I was going to do instead, she gave me that look. She thought it would be another fad, but it's been almost one year now. She doesn't get on me about buying more "supplies" too much, but I share all the info I can about vaping and she would rather have me doing this than going back to smoking. Her dad now uses them, I ordered a kit for him, then the Spade, and he's still going strong. I've discovered that high voltage really does it for me, and even though she still gets on me about vaping when the kids are around, she's accepted it, and absolutely loves that I don't reek of cigarettes anymore.

... When I told her I was quitting for good she was so happy, but when I told her what I was going to do instead, she gave me that look. ...

Oh man! We all know that one! :)

Thanks for your service Tektronik.

Great thread! I guess my story isn't all that different....

My wife in a non-smoker, but has brothers that do. I have been smoking as long as I've known her, except for the times I successfully quit for a short period, then the period of time I tried to hide it from her when I started again. And as everyone stated, besides the health issues, the smell really is what she hated.

She was actually with me when I first tried an e-cig at a mall kiosk. When I decided to buy after researching (Thank you Vapor Talk) she was for it. But because the $ cost each time I buy supplies looks so much larger than the daily $ of buying analogs, she still isn't totally convinced. But when I show her my spreadsheet that has expenses versus savings, and also how many analogs I have not smoked to date, it helps. And I'm don't think she is really convinced about the health benefits. She still calls it "smoking". :wacko: