Low Res. Atty Situation

I just had an odd experience using my low res atty. I have had been using it about 1 week. It had been getting really hot all afternoon, so I was making sure to let it cool between hits. I inhaled and felt like a firecracker went off in my mouth. Luckily I using the drip tip, which stays on the atty very tight. If I had been using one of the looser cartcaps I am afraid it may have blown it into my throat. Waited 30 minutes and tried it again-and within 2 hits it poofed again, I was afraid to try it anymore and just tossed it. I really love these attys but am now a little wary of ordering a new one. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes that has happened to me when vaping at 6 volts and to lesser extent with the LR attys. I call it "backfiring". I basically get a quick burst of air shot into my mouth. It did freak me out at first. Now it still startles me, but I just keep vaping. I assume it happens as a result of the atty getting hot.

I don't know what exactly happens to cause it.

Yeah, I've had that too. Jeff's explanation works for me. I had that with one LR atty and when it popped like that it went dead. But I was pushing it purposefully to see if it'd take 5V. It didn't. :) It's sure freaky when it happens, but it doesn't seem to be dangerous.

I've had that happen quite a bit, but not with the LR attys. It's only ever happened to me with the 801s on the VP/PT. It about scares me to death when it does happen, but I've never had a cart pop off when it happens. Not even loose ones.

Oh wow, I've not had this happen to me yet. I do own some LR attys, but only have a passthrough for 5V vaping so I haven't dabbled with 6V just yet.

Sounds kind of intriguing.... Something to figure out exactly what is happening physically down in there. But I'm sure if it happened to me, I'd never want anything to do with it again :)

It freaks me out every time that happens! I can't seem to duplicate the condition and make it do it on purpose, but when it backfires I jump every time. It's like you already put vacuum pressure in the chamber when you take a draw, but for the thing to suddenly burst air into your mouth is unnatural. It has never happened to me with smaller, OEM units. It has happened to me with the VP2 and a low res atty and more often with my XHaler at high volts and it does't matter if I use a 901 or 501 atty-regular of high voltage style. Yeah I'd also be interested to know just what's happening inside the chamber!

Ok, I've still not experienced this phenomenon, but from hearing what's been happening to other folks, I came up with a partial theory. I say partial, b/c I think part of it holds merit, but I still can't account for everything. Here goes (this is pure fiction, but it sounds reasonable in my mind):

The air intake holes at the bottom of the atomizer become momentarily clogged. I assume clogged and blocked up with fried, carbonized juice since we're talking about higher power outputs than just a regular 510 at low voltage. So juices are being boiled off and dried out at a much higher rate than normal. Since this seems to occur during times when the atomizer is already hot (after a couple puffs) the coil is already pretty hot and so is the atomizer casing. You know that hot gasses are inherently more pressurized than cooler gases, so the atomizer chamber is already filled with hot air that can be momentarily pressurized.

When you take a toot off your device, the negative pressure caused by the suction of your mouth forcefully re-opens the clogged air holes in the atomizer. The already warmed air in the chamber rushes up into your mouth and cooler fresh air rushes in underneath it quickly to fill the void. Thus, a momentary increase in pressure.

It's all conjecture at this point, but it's the only thing I can think of. Now if I could just come up with a way to test it.... Intentionally blocking the air holes? Hmmm....