510 Atomizer Dead After 1 Week

Very strange, I have a 510 atomizer here at work that I use with my USB passthrough. After about 1 week of use it seems to be completely dead. It doesn't even appear to be getting power, no heat, no vapor, no hissing noise when you turn it on, just nothing. I was blowing it out into a tissue every night before going home, so I wouldn't think its dirty or clogged. One thing I did notice, is for the past few days it would taste really bad after a few drags on a filled cart. Kind of a strong metal and burnt taste.

I wanted to take it apart and have a look, but that thing is closed up tight. Any suggestions on dissassembling this thing so I don't damage the threads? I've never taken one of these apart before.

Edit - It's also not a real Joy 510, it's one of the washer knock off models.

Edited by Sivlar

my guess is the metal, burnt taste was burning atomizer and that's why it didnt last very long, i have been vaping over 3 month's without losing one yet but i keep them pretty wet with direct dripping.

P.S. someone who actually know's what they are talking about will be along soon :)

Sounds like it got too dry and may have burnt it up. I'm no expert but from all the info I've heard that's a pretty good bet.

You may be able to contact who you got it from and maybe they will replace it, no sure thing there.

Try adding juice 2-3 drops into the atty and see what happens. Can't do any harm if it's dead.

Good luck.

Have you tried the atty on another unit, and have you tried another atty on the PT? Make sure the battery connection is clean on both the atty and the PT. You may also try a dry burn... hold the button down for 20+ seconds and see if it gets hot at all. If it does start to get hot, try doing that a few times. Just some suggestons, but since you tasted metal for so long - it's probably a goner.

Sorry - don't know how to take one apart without ripping it to pieces.

What I have found is they usually have a casing of carbon around the element which insulates it from the liquid.I have not been able to find a way to dissolve it yet.I have tried alcohol,denture tabs ,long soaks in very hot water ,ultrasonic cleaner and combinations of those.I guess if the liquid you use causes this a thorough cleaning every two or three days might prevent it.Once it happens I think they are done.If you want to try to dismantle it ,screw it onto a battery and kind of wiggle it around and pull on it.Either the battery connector or the atty connector will start coming out of the tube.

Thanks for the info.

I ended up pulling it apart. The little atty heat coil was completely black and pretty much flaked apart when I touched it. The built in wick was also burnt up.

I'm not sure how I fried it, since I was putting in fresh carts all the time and dripping a drop or two on the wick whenever I would replace the cart.

I am chalking this up to a crappy knock off. I have 2 other atomizers that are 3-4 weeks old and had a good amount of use with no problems.

Thanks for the info.

I ended up pulling it apart. The little atty heat coil was completely black and pretty much flaked apart when I touched it. The built in wick was also burnt up.

I'm not sure how I fried it, since I was putting in fresh carts all the time and dripping a drop or two on the wick whenever I would replace the cart.

I am chalking this up to a crappy knock off. I have 2 other atomizers that are 3-4 weeks old and had a good amount of use with no problems.

Something I do know about the Electronic Cigarette Industry, cheaper/knockoff products do tend to fail at much higher rates than those of similar high quality products. I have made the distinction of only purchasing the high grade of e cigs and their components. Although higher quality products are usually more expensive, this is not always the case here. Proper research should be taken into consideration when purchasing anything related to electronic cigarettes. This is a highly new industry with many new and upcoming products, which leaves room for deception and many poorly configured items without a big fat NO/BAD/INFERIOR stamped on them. Using better quality products can/will eliminate many problems for you by default.

Edited by SickDripzz

Edit- If your passthrough is running near 5v or higher, the passthrough fried your atty. Low quality attys are not intended for use at higher voltages.

Edited by SickDripzz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I started on this forum in January. Everyone was so helpful. I really wanted to do something to thank everyone, but I figured I did not know enough to help anyone else until now. It seemed like every time I thought I knew something, it turned out I didn't. LOL! Good to be back and have something to share.

Recently I finally went through all my new atomizers. I had not purchased any more. I had washed most of them except for the last one I was using. The rest of them either had that burnt taste, chemical taste, burnt rubber taste, or just were not getting enough vapor.

I tried everything I could find on the forums. Nothing seemed to work.

One I had, still had that chemical taste and I realized this is what burns your throat when you first start. After everything I tried, I thought about someone trying to use a frying pan that was already burnt. Until you get the burnt stuff off, anything you try to cook with it will taste burnt or it will not cook your foods right. Even if you use a new cart, eventually that will taste burnt also.

Then one day I realized everyday with these devices seemed different, at least many of them. I came to think of the atomizers like putting a frying pan on the stove. If you don't keep your atomizer moist with some eliquid it will burn and get that awful taste. Kind of like frying something without any juice or oil.

I know many are going to laugh at this, but it worked for me. I took one of my atomizers and filled it with oven cleaner. I made sure I cleaned off the outside to make sure the finish did not get ruined. I then put it on a small plate with a paper towel like a glass standing up filled with water and let it stand overnight.

The following day I rinsed it in hot water and let it soak in the hot water for a while to get the cleaner residue off. I took a wooden spoon and agitated the atomizer in a bowl filed with hot water. I did that 3 times. When done, I saw some tiny specs of black. I then put the atomizer on another clean paper towel and let it dry over night. The following day I put a few drops of eliquid in it, a clean filter with eliquid, and primed it. It works great now. No bad taste, and it vapes tons of vapor now. I now make sure not to burn them. If I start to smell or taste that burnt taste, I immediately drip a few drops of eliquid on the atomizer and fill my cart too. I have since done this with all of my atomizers that I could not get right any more, and they all work great now!

Hope this method helps and might even restore some that people thought were gone. Very easy too! :)

Very strange, I have a 510 atomizer here at work that I use with my USB passthrough. After about 1 week of use it seems to be completely dead. It doesn't even appear to be getting power, no heat, no vapor, no hissing noise when you turn it on, just nothing. I was blowing it out into a tissue every night before going home, so I wouldn't think its dirty or clogged. One thing I did notice, is for the past few days it would taste really bad after a few drags on a filled cart. Kind of a strong metal and burnt taste.

I wanted to take it apart and have a look, but that thing is closed up tight. Any suggestions on dissassembling this thing so I don't damage the threads? I've never taken one of these apart before.

Edit - It's also not a real Joy 510, it's one of the washer knock off models.

Anytime you have a metallic taste it's because you've let the atomizer run dry. When using a PT especially at 5 volts you need to drip very often. Almost every few puffs. If your not careful it's easy to pop atomizer at 5 volts especially the knockoff 510's.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the info. You can make so many mistakes when starting out. Just the guy I wanted to talk to. I hope it is OK to ask you this here, but I wanted to go to a different passthrough. I had been using the 510 that I started with. But me and these Chinese made products with those tiny thin wires do not go well together. LOL! I already went through one, where I spent a week trying to figure out why it would work one minute and not the next. First, I thought it was a dead atomizer, then maybe a dead battery. These things can make you crazy. Turned out one day, I saw a tiny piece of rubber or maybe is is plastic around the wire just beneath the ecig right at the bottom of it starting to fray with the wire just about to break off. No more of these cheap thin wire products. I want to buy one of your VP Ecig USB Passthrough's, but it says "sold out". Do you know when you will have any more? I am waiting to buy it from you.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Anytime you have a metallic taste it's because you've let the atomizer run dry. When using a PT especially at 5 volts you need to drip very often. Almost every few puffs. If your not careful it's easy to pop atomizer at 5 volts especially the knockoff 510's.

BTW, I cannot remember if it was you or Shawn, congrats on the new baby! I saw it somewhere on one of the store pages. I have a son named Shawn, and a step son named Chris, so it is hard for me to forget either of your names or differentiate! LOL!

Hi Judith! Good to hear from you and glad to see you're still vaping! :thumbsup:

Seems like I recall Chris saying the VP/PT would be back in stock soon... maybe in the next two weeks.

Edited by Brian

That would be me that had the baby :D It's been quite the workout trying to take care of her the wife and the store all at the same time :lol:

We're hoping to have the PT's in stock within the next few weeks but there has been a bit of a delay. I would suggest keeping an eye on Vaprlife.com's website. (They are the creators) As they will probably have them in stock before we do. I can assure you it will last you much longer. I'm STILL using my original VP PT. (Pre production model before anyone knew what a VP PT was) :thumbsup:

Hi Brian,

Good to hear from you too. How are you? Thanks to everyone here, I have not picked up a analog since the day after I got my kit. I even went to '0" nic. How are you doing with things? :withstupid:

Hi Judith! Good to hear from you and glad to see you're still vaping! :thumbsup:

Seems like I recall Chris saying the VP/PT would be back in stock soon... maybe in the next two weeks.

I remember those days. It does get much better, and they will make you laugh so hard. Innocence is a wonderful thing. There are so many stages. watch out for the stage when they can get their hands on things, you will be amazed the things they can do, and you will wonder where they got it from! LOL!

That would be me that had the baby :D It's been quite the workout trying to take care of her the wife and the store all at the same time :lol:

We're hoping to have the PT's in stock within the next few weeks but there has been a bit of a delay. I would suggest keeping an eye on Vaprlife.com's website. (They are the creators) As they will probably have them in stock before we do. I can assure you it will last you much longer. I'm STILL using my original VP PT. (Pre production model before anyone knew what a VP PT was) :thumbsup:

Hi There,

So Greaaaaaaaaaat to chat and find you again! How are you doing? I wanted to contact you before but got pretty ill when it was still cold. then could not find my login, password, and even the "forgot password" on forum did not work at first for me. Turned out I was on the wrong forum. LOL!

Hey Arc - how goes it???? Just saw your name pop up. Glad to see you're still at it!!

Hello Arc! I had wondered what happened to you, too. Glad to hear the vaping is working so well for you. And to be at 0 nic already...that's great news!! Congrats.

Glad to hear you're feeling better and got the forum thing figured out again. I hope we'll hear more from you now.

Hi Brian,

Good to hear from you too. How are you? Thanks to everyone here, I have not picked up a analog since the day after I got my kit. I even went to '0" nic. How are you doing with things? :withstupid:

I'm going great Judith! :) Zero nic! Holly smokes! That's fantastic!

I'm thinking of starting to step down... or not. :unsure: