T-Tips Vs. Drip Tips

Tektronik

I received a 510/901 T-tip at Super T Manufacturing and a day later, received two drip tips from Nhaler after hearing all the rave about them from Vaporcast during Vapefest 2010.

First off, I like both. I like the drip tips because they make it so much easier to direct drip, plus I like the feel of the contoured design. I like the T-tip for aesthetic reasons; they look great when paired with a stainless atomizer (901 style from ElectroNicStix). The two together look like one piece that was meant to be coupled together from the start.

First off, let me say that I've completely moved over to using a 901 atomizer. I prefer the higher resistance, the length, and the cooler vaping experience.

The only factor (for me, anyhow) that makes me more partial to using the T-tip is because it's made of stainless steel. I've mentioned in a thread before that the T-tip helps dissipate heat from the atomizer. This, to me makes a world of difference. When my atomizers get hot to the touch, the juice that was already in the atomizer but somewhere below the heating element (and therefore not vaporized) tires to escape, and runs out of the atty either through the bottom, or through the little air hole on the side, which would otherwise not happen because the hole is too small for room temperature liquid to pass through, except when it's heated up (change in viscosity, or resistance to flowing). The heavy stainless steel T-tip greatly helps keep the atomizer from getting too hot.

When I use my VP2, the aluminum/steel casing also helps dissipate heat, but with the addition of the T-tip the atomizer rarely gets hot enough for liquid to run out of it. When I'm using my plastic box mod, the only significant piece of metal in the whole assembly is the atomizer itself, and it gets very hot when using the Drip-tip or any plastic cartridge for that matter. If I switch to the T-tip, that alone is enough of a difference to keep juice from running everywhere.

These are just some observations that I've made because I have been switching back and forth between the two trying to decide which I like better. I guess the next step would be is to make the T-tip more ergonomic, which would add to the overall appeal of it.

I have a friend who I've recommended Vaping to, and he took off with it and hasn't gone back to smoking analogs since he started. I told him to order the T-tips, and he's already taken a dremel to it and smoothed out the edges around the opening. He also noticed that inner walls of the hole itself was not finished and smoothed it out so the liquid runs down through it much better. He's coming up this weekend to show me the improvements he's made. If I ever figure out how to post pictures here, I'd like to show all of you what he's done.

I've seen many comments on the forums about how our vaping experience has improved using these two tips. I wanted to throw my two cents in as well. :on2long:

Nice update, one thing I find with the T Tips is often the liquid won't "drain" into the atomizer. Sometimes I have to hold the button down on my units until the bubble comes through the top of the T Tip then allowing the E Liquid to enter into the atomizer. Other than it's my go to "cart" :)

Good comparison Tektronik, thanks for the details.

The issue of heat dissapation is not something one would normally expect or even think about when considering the purchase, so that's definitely an added bonus.

I've been using the plastic D-tips and have been loving them. But those steel T-tips sure do look fantastic with a steel atomizer (dang that "Precise" unit is super sexy).

Thanks for the good comparison. This is something I'll have to ponder about.

EDIT: Do the steel T-tips have a wider hole than the plastic D-tips? Lots of the VG juice I use is so thick that the drops are much larger than PG, and it's rare I actually make it through the whole without getting it down the side (on the inside) and all the way on top of the bridge.

Edited by Brandon

That's a great run-down Tek, thanks! I haven't used the T-tips, only because of the squared-off 'lip' end. I'm really unhappy having to vape the square ends on 510s, and for that reason alone I've never considered the T-tips. But the colors are great, something you simply could not do with plastic, and that's very compelling. My brother particularly wants one for that specific reason. If the t tips had a rounded end I'd be much more likely to give them a try myself. I also think metal construction would be less likely to work loose over time than the delrin of the d-tips. Trade-offs, trade-offs...

The issue about the unfinished hole in the t-tips is concerning. For whatever reason, I'd have expected that to be cleaned up, simply so the liquid would flow. Actually tt should be highly polished. Now I'm considering getting a couple just to customize to my requirements. ~ See what you've done? Talked myself into it after all this time. Sheesh. I need to quit reading this forum and talking to people before I run completely out of money! Oh, wait; that was last month... :D

Nice update, one thing I find with the T Tips is often the liquid won't "drain" into the atomizer. Sometimes I have to hold the button down on my units until the bubble comes through the top of the T Tip then allowing the E Liquid to enter into the atomizer. Other than it's my go to "cart" :)

I think that's because the inside hole of the T-tips are unfinished- they are still rough on the inner walls. My friend is coming up this weekend for a visit. He polished the insides so that liquid runs down it more smoothly, or so he claims. I'll follow up this weekend.

Good comparison Tektronik, thanks for the details.

The issue of heat dissapation is not something one would normally expect or even think about when considering the purchase, so that's definitely an added bonus.

I've been using the plastic D-tips and have been loving them. But those steel T-tips sure do look fantastic with a steel atomizer (dang that "Precise" unit is super sexy).

Thanks for the good comparison. This is something I'll have to ponder about.

EDIT: Do the steel T-tips have a wider hole than the plastic D-tips? Lots of the VG juice I use is so thick that the drops are much larger than PG, and it's rare I actually make it through the whole without getting it down the side (on the inside) and all the way on top of the bridge.

Just did a side by side hole comparison. You can't tell when you look down into them from the "top" or tip, but when you flip them over, and look at them through the bottom part that goes into the atty, you can definitely see that the stainless t-tip hole is larger.

My brother just got his stainless T-tip for an 801 and the hole, naturally, is quite a bit larger than the D-tip hole for my 510s. But I think polishing the hole is a definite requirement. Maybe I'll get a couple and find a good reamer to use to clean up the holes, and then a lap to polish them. That should be pretty easy and quick if I put the lap in my drill press. I think I'd want to round off the mouth end of the T-tip too. A little customizing, and these should be pretty nice. But I still think I'm partial to the D-tip, just for its 'softness.'

Dang if I only had a lathe.....

I've had my eye on a few cheapos from Harbor Freight the past couple months for some other hobbies, plus a couple drill presses.

Dave if you and your bro have any success with this please let us know.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines