Upcoming Knee Surgery

I finally got tired of the pain and scheduled a partial knee replacement for April 12th.Man I cannot beleive all the things you have to do to get elective surgery these days.They have classes and coaches like the Lamaze classes for childbirthing.You have to do all kinds of therapy before surgery to shorten the recovery time.Most of it seems geared for older folks than me who may be a little less fit .Please channel all prayers and good karma my way ,all are glady accepted and reciprocated on request. :doctor:

Good Luck mcquinn! I played elite hockey for several years and had plenty of teammates go through knee surgeries of varying degrees and the best advice I can give you is be patient and go at what rehab pace is right for you! Best wishes to you hope you get up and about soon! :wave:

You will be very glad when its over. It will be worth it. I take care of lots of knee patients. you will do great!!

and just think, you will be able to vape after surgery !!!! (at least once you are concious again)(and can reach your stuff).

Just remember to ask for pain meds....and you vaping case.

I finally got tired of the pain and scheduled a partial knee replacement for April 12th.Man I cannot beleive all the things you have to do to get elective surgery these days.They have classes and coaches like the Lamaze classes for childbirthing.You have to do all kinds of therapy before surgery to shorten the recovery time.Most of it seems geared for older folks than me who may be a little less fit .Please channel all prayers and good karma my way ,all are glady accepted and reciprocated on request. doctor.gif

Hi McQuinn,

I hope you do well and have a speedy recovery. I know (not myself though) how it is as my Dad had both of his knees done with-in 4 weeks of each one.

He is doing good and no more pain (he's 90).

If he can do it, hell, so can you!!

My prauers will be with you.

Stuinnocent.gifthumbsup.gif

Good luck with everything, Mcquinn, although I'm sure you won't need it. My grumpy old boss had one done in September of '09 and it went so well that he had the other done just this last Thursday. He was a lot more diligent about doing the pre-op exercises this time. He said he could tell after the first one that he should have taken them more seriously. You're in my prayers, and like they say on the stage, break a leg!

Edited by SmokinHammer

Good luck with everything, Mcquinn, although I'm sure you won't need it. My grumpy old boss had one done in September of '09 and it went so well that he had the other done just this last Thursday. He was a lot more diligent about doing the pre-op exercises this time. He said he could tell after the first one that he should have taken them more seriously. You're in my prayers, and like they say on the stage, break a leg!

Therapy therapy therapy!!! It hurts but is worth it, makes all the diff. Good luck!

I am eating the Lortabs as needed ,lucky for me I have apretty high threshold for pain and my legs are in pretty good shape.The surgeon who scoped my knee and removed what was left of the miniscus couldn't believe how much range of motion I had after he looked inside.I do the HVAC/R at the hospital and get along great with all the people who I will have to deal with ,should be kinda fun if thats possible.I am afraid this is just the beginning as I have artheritis about everywhere I could possibly have it.When life gives you lemons ,make lemonade I suppose.

Mcquinn I wish you all the best and my prayers and happy vibes are headed your way. My wife has had both knees replaced and it sure made a world of difference for her. Don't try to be a hard guy after your surgery - take the pain meds, you'll heal faster. Same goes for PT after - if you medicate a bit you'll do better therapy. I hope you recover quickly and enjoy being on the 'other side' while in the hospital, that can be 'fun.' Good luck!

Yeah, Mcquinn, definitely take those pain meds! I talked to my boss Monday afternoon (If your just joining this topic, he had his second knee replacement done last Thursday.) He sounded happier and more relaxed than he has in a decade! :D On a serious note, I've been on pain meds for a few surgeries (and recoveries) in the last few years, so I speak from personal experience. Make sure you're prepared for the one inevitable, and really irritating, side effect... constipation. There, I said it. I'm sorry, but it's true, and I had to learn the hard way, after spending something like $25 on a bottle of Senokot, that prune juice works better and is a lot cheaper!

Good Lord I hate being mature enough to talk about this stuff in public. It makes me feel old. I remember trying to coach my father out of sharing every detail of his health care with everyone he met. One day I found myself saying, "Dad, the bank teller doesn't care about your prostate!"

Good Luck!

I'm sure "results vary" by person and all, but mostly with recovery time. My sister in law had knee surgery recently and it seems to have gone well. You've reminded me I should give her a call. :)

Oh man SmokinHammer you have reached the pinnacle of old age when you start talkin about bodily functions.Welcome to the club.We can set aroung puffin on our e-ciggs and talkin about aches and pains and bowel movements. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I'm down with support (wait, making sure I'm in the lounge, looking around, its cool) but can't do the prayer thing. Sorry, devout atheist, hope it doesn't turn people off, I respect almost everyone hope you all can do the same.