Poll The First - Your Analog Type

I have a theory that the most successful vapers were Lights or Ultra Lights smokers; that heavier smoke is harder to replace with vaping. As most of you know I was a non-filter smoker and vape high nic juice. I wonder whether the relatively low (to me) nic levels commonly found in juice are suitable because most people didn't get a great deal of nicotine from smoking. This poll is intended to test that theory.

Do you have a hypothesis along this line? I'm curious to hear it.

Thanks for your input. Vape on!

I don't have a hypothesis, but I'll give you a bit more info on me - in case it helps.

I started out smoking full flavor cigarettes. Now this was waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy back when cigarettes were 45 cents a pack. When you could buy them in machines anywhere and everywhere - with just some spare change. When there weren't very many different brands and there certainly weren't any lights or ultra lights. I went down to lights a lot of years ago when I was going to quit smoking because of the price. By then they had jumped to $1.00 a pack. I figured if I cut down on the nic, I might be able to wean myself off of them. Nope. Didn't work. But I stayed with the lights for years and years. Then I did the same thing when I switched to ultra lights a few years ago when they jumped to $2.00 a pack. Still didn't help me quit. Nothing helped until I learned about and tried vaping. I did start with the 36mg, but quickly dropped to 24mg. I was probably at 18mg the longest, but I dropped very quickly down to 6mg and then 3mg. But that could be because I was smoking ultra lights at last. I don't know. I never thought about it. I just know the complete switch for me was the easiest thing ever and I had tried several different ways and devices to quit before and none of them worked.

I started out as a smoker of regular strength "premium" brand cigs (for 30 years). For the last 10 years or so I smoked a UK Brand of "light" cig called Silk Cut. When I first started vaping (nearly a year ago) I tried 11mg juice, but have, after trying everything from 11mg to 38mg, settled on 18mg-24mg as the range that suits (mostly 24mg).

I have no idea, but as always, I'll chime in. I was smoking Marlboro menthol lights at the end. I do know the "experts" think lights aren't any better because light smokers will smoke more but I'm not sure that's true. I always tried to keep the cigs 60 minutes apart from each other and I think most other folks that aren't sitting someplace they can smoke at will probably do the same so I'm not sure I'm buying that theory. In the beginning (many moons ago) I was marlboro red, camel unfiltered up to 3 packs a day but that was really killing me especially since I was still active. Went to menthols and then menthol lights. As far as the PV goes, I started at 24mg, kept to my one per hour regime and going outside because I had no idea how much nic I was taking with cigs, or how much with this. I started mixing to drop it down, and within a couple of months went to zero.

So I think there is something to your theory, lets see what others have to say. And if I may add, it really is a shame there does not seem to be a lot of studies on this (or at least ones I can find). Based on the info Speakeasy had, there really should be. But I think it's kind of because nicotine addicts have the rep they have (not good) but caffeine addicts are "go getters" and normal!! I'm a caffeine addict as well, once a year or so I'll go a day without caffeine in the morning, that headache later on is BRUTAL.

Edited by FTJoe

Thanks folks, this is good stuff. It does seem on limited evidence so far that most vapers smoked lights or ultra lights. One reason this is of interest to me is that once the FDA starts regulating this stuff they're going to establish a maximum nic level; and that's likely to be 24mg based on what the market looks like today.

What that means is that all those heavy smokers out there like me will find vaping totally worthless, just like gum and patches are. At 24mg, vaping will not help a heavy smoker. That's really too bad, but my experience with vapers has been absolute panic at the thought of using 48mg juice... Cripes, it's barely enough for me. I'm hanging on my the skin of my teeth most days. But that's just me. I'm really pleased that so many former smokers are taking the healthier path. thumbsup.gif

I hope a lot more people add data to this. I noticed that there are so far no "full flavor" former smokers out there. That's interesting. Keep it coming!

And thanks for the comments.

I smoked Camel Lights for 8 years and the first day I tried vaping I never looked back. The transition was smooth and easy for me. For the first couple of days I noticed at the end of the day I was a little jittery; but, it was probably from the constant nicotine intake. After that, it was smooth sailing.

Marlboro light - probably averaged a pack and 1/2 per day. I started out smoking Lucky Strike filterless (LSMFT) and camel filterless. Smoked those for a few years then went to Marlboro reds, then to GPC full flavor, then to USA Gold full flavor. When I got married my wife smoked Marlboro Lights so that's when I switched to lights... almost 7 years ago.

Thanks folks, this is good stuff. It does seem on limited evidence so far that most vapers smoked lights or ultra lights. One reason this is of interest to me is that once the FDA starts regulating this stuff they're going to establish a maximum nic level; and that's likely to be 24mg based on what the market looks like today.

What that means is that all those heavy smokers out there like me will find vaping totally worthless, just like gum and patches are. At 24mg, vaping will not help a heavy smoker. That's really too bad, but my experience with vapers has been absolute panic at the thought of using 48mg juice... Cripes, it's barely enough for me. I'm hanging on my the skin of my teeth most days. But that's just me. I'm really pleased that so many former smokers are taking the healthier path. thumbsup.gif

I hope a lot more people add data to this. I noticed that there are so far no "full flavor" former smokers out there. That's interesting. Keep it coming!

And thanks for the comments.

Cool, 1st Full Flavor convert to vote.

I liked "Rollies" I would sit in front of the tv in the evenings and roll a pack and a half for the next day.I found I smoked less wit full flavor as the light did not give me what I was craving.I have been able to get from 24 mg to 6-10 mg in six months on vaping.

I'm really curious - how much nic do you vape and what'd you start at? Thanks for voting!

Started wit 24mg and still using it.

I think a side affect is that it keeps me awake. Never to get to sleep before 2am since I started.

I just ordered some 18mg to see if that helps, but I've got lots of 24 left if the withdrawls start up.

I went from a pack a day on 11/28/09 to no analogs by 12/07/09 and don't have any craving for the analogs, as long as I have my Spade close at hand that is.

Awesome stuff folks, thanks for the info. I'm really amazed we have so many RYO folks; it's heartening that you can be successful vaping as that's what my son does too. He's totally uninterested in vaping though. :D I can see his point from a cost perspective, vaping would be more expensive than the few cents he smokes a day, but you would not like to hear his cough... Yikes! I have no cough anymore; not even a cold this winter (knocking wood).

Started wit 24mg and still using it.

I think a side affect is that it keeps me awake. Never to get to sleep before 2am since I started.

I just ordered some 18mg to see if that helps, but I've got lots of 24 left if the withdrawls start up.

I went from a pack a day on 11/28/09 to no analogs by 12/07/09 and don't have any craving for the analogs, as long as I have my Spade close at hand that is.

Good luck cutting down, and I hope that resolves the non-sleeping issue. That would be tough for me, I like my 7 or more hours when I can get em. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the nic too. Only side effect I've ever had was really intense dreams the first time I tried the patch. That went away quickly though. I hope the 18mg does the trick for you.

Dave,

Even though I smoked about one to two packs of ultra lights a day I'm still not satisfied with 36 mg. I still smoke but just not as much. I smoke really fast. I'm the same way with drinking soda. I slam a can of coke like a college kid does beer. I look for that quick rush and so far vaping feels slow. If I don't chain vape and start to get the craving then I have to grab a smoke. I get wired really fast and come down even faster. Maybe I need the Joker and/or more mg.

I have a theory that the most successful vapers were Lights or Ultra Lights smokers; that heavier smoke is harder to replace with vaping. As most of you know I was a non-filter smoker and vape high nic juice. I wonder whether the relatively low (to me) nic levels commonly found in juice are suitable because most people didn't get a great deal of nicotine from smoking. This poll is intended to test that theory.

Thanks for your input. Vape on!

I have to disagree: For myself I was a 1 pack a day full flavor smoker for more than 35 years.

I also participated in a poll on a different vaping forum that showed the majority of converts were 1 to 2 pack a day 25+ years. These people, myself included are the most desperate to quit smoking.

I feel vaping is a cigarette alternative that will probably save me the hassle of lugging around an oxygen bottle or cancer. No guarantees though.

I've also found reading 100's of threads on many forums that it is impossible to categorize who is the "most likely to switch to vaping".

Vape On !

Thanks for your input BigXor! I'm curious how much nic you started with, and what you're vaping today? Also, do you think the PV you're using makes a difference? For example, if a 510 gives more vapor and TH than something else, would the additional impact help even in the face of less nicotine? I really welcome all the info I can gather here, and greatly appreciate your thoughts.

I noticed that this thread is getting a lot more views than responses. So many views in fact that I wonder if outside search traffic is being directed here? Just curious what anyone else thinks.

Edited by ddavelarsen

Thanks for your input BigXor! I'm curious how much nic you started with, and what you're vaping today? Also, do you think the PV you're using makes a difference? For example, if a 510 gives more vapor and TH than something else, would the additional impact help even in the face of less nicotine? I really welcome all the info I can gather here, and greatly appreciate your thoughts.

I mix my own juice to find the sweet spot. When I first started to vape the urge to smoke was not satisfied unless I vaped 26-30mg. After a couple weeks I'm vaping 18-20mg. Anything higher causes a nic overload which is unpleasant feeling.

As far as the PV goes; as long as the vapor and TH are satisfied, I find no urge to change. Beside I'm cheap and don't want to splurge on equipment that may very well end up in my junk drawer.

As far as the PV goes; as long as the vapor and TH are satisfied, I find no urge to change. Beside I'm cheap and don't want to splurge on equipment that may very well end up in my junk drawer.

I've probably missed it some place, but what PV are you using? Thanks!

I noticed that this thread is getting a lot more views than responses. So many views in fact that I wonder if outside search traffic is being directed here? Just curious what anyone else thinks.

Ummmm, well...I have been coming back to see how it's going. That would add to the count a little bit.

Ummmm, well...I have been coming back to see how it's going. That would add to the count a little bit.

And me, and probably lots of others that had nothing to actually say, but voted and are interested in the poll results.

That's me theory, anyway. :))

That theory works for me. I guess I still stand by my original hypothesis, though some heavier smokers do seem to have been able to make the 'cut' to vaping nic levels fairly well. My brother is/was a full flavor guy, can sort of get by on 36mg but is much more relaxed at 48. I was a far heavier smoker than he is/was, and 36 doesn't really cut it for me. It would be better than smoking, but only temporarily. If that's all there was I would have been back on analogs a long time ago. That really only proves that we're all different, and probably that varying levels of commitment come into play with vaping success. Thanks for all your input!

Add me as a full flavor smoker... 2 pk a day...

Was a 1 pk a day marlboro gal for 20 years, then switched to marlboro lights and upped it to 3 packs a day. Screamed my senses into going back to the full flavor and have been smoking 2 pks a day of camel and marlboro full flavors. Sometimes 2&1/2.

Until last week.

Then I was able to cut down to 6 a day, then 4, then 2 then, ... 3 puffs, then ..NONE!

Using the eGo, 18mg prefilled, 24mg ry4, 36mg apple, dulcis 24mg, TT 16mg, Cappachino 24mg.... Switching flavors and strengths as needed, and even adding drops to cart out of order as needed. So far, so good.

I'd sure call that being a heavy smoker Uma! Your success is a wonderful story, congratulations! thumbsup.gif You're pretty savvy to mix up the strengths too. I've thought about buying or mixing some 36mg juice for the next round to see if I can work it into my 'schedule.' We'll see how that goes. Ultimately it would be great to get off nicotine altogether - any kind of habit is a fence. But I'm not pushing it; I'd rather vape than smoke, any day. Thanks for helping!